• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ivo-goji

Lizalfos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Theory: Four Swords Adventures is the Seal War described in A Link to the Past’s backstory
Companion Theory: The events mentioned in AlttP’s backstory broadly refer to events covered directly in Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Four Swords Adventures (and possibly Skyward Sword, though this remains to be seen).
Less Important Companion Theory: The dark tribe mentioned in FSA is, in fact, the army Ganon used to invade Hyrule, and the reason the invasion failed was because the Hylians imprisoned the lot of them in the Dark Mirror. This idea really isn’t necessary to support the other two theories, but it came up when going over FSA’s backstory, so I figured ‘why not kill three birds with two stones?’.
For the sake of briefness, I shall not include any argument pertaining to Hyrule’s geography (despite a wealth of evidence for the theory in that area), although a few details regarding where things are in the Dark World/Sacred Realm come up. Also I’ve used a number of translations of Japanese text while compiling this article- most can be found at the Legends Alliance forum (the same ganonlord linked us to). I also heavily employed two translations of the Japanese AlttP manual, which can be found here: http://www.zeldalege...nual_story.html
As you will see, some direct quotes have been slightly reworded- this wasn’t entirely intentional and as far as I can tell the meaning was left intact.

So here's the straight dope:
Spoiler

If that logic isn't quite logical enough for you, here is some even straighter dope:
Spoiler

Making Four Swords Adventures the Seal War has one major problem- well, two problems, but only one that can’t be explained away without majorly reinterpreting the text.

The Seal War happened centuries after Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm:
Spoiler

The Seven Sages become Seven Shrine Maidens?:
Spoiler

Opinion: Colons are love.

#2 Ivo-goji

Lizalfos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

Lack of feedback here:P

#3 Knuckle

Master of Dimensions!

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4955 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Wasn't the objective of OOT to be the story of the seal war? That is the game where the sacred realm becomes the Dark World, if I remember correctly.

#4 Ivo-goji

Lizalfos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Wasn't the objective of OOT to be the story of the seal war? That is the game where the sacred realm becomes the Dark World, if I remember correctly.

Originally, OoT probably was meant to be the Seal War..... but both the Child and Adult continuation of the game's story (Twilight Princess and Wind Waker) conflict with the backstory of A Link to the Past, though TP may be seen as prelude to the Seal War- Ganondorf says "Think of this as the beginning of a bloodsmeared history of light and darkness!" (I quoteth the Legends Allience forum's translation of that line, though "The history of light and shadow will be written in blood!" isn't a huge difference). These words seem to be a hint of things to come. For indeed, Four Swords Adventures and ALttP both have a great deal to do with bloodshed and the conflict between light and darkness (the Light World and Dark World in particular- absent from many games). Plus the plethora of other hints in TP that link it to ALttP mentioned above.

Yet the Child ending of OoT (Twilight Princess's backstory) does not match up with the Seal War at all. No sealing, no seven anythings, Dark World/Evil Relm/Sacred Realm almost completely left out of the equation, and Ganondorf is dead and Triforceless in the end. ALttP can't come between OoT and TP- Triforce of Courge and Triforce of Wisdom were hanging out in the Light World, and Ganondorf spent all his time between twiddling his thumbs (or semi-physical firy-ball appendages) in the Twilight Realm. A Link to the Past must come later. FSA has a new Ganon and the Triforce evidently not in Hyrule (and when it isn't in Hyrule, it is generally in the Sacred Realm/Dark World/Evil Realm). FSA fulfills nearly all of the requirements for the Seal War (including the Group of Knights and the Master Sword NOT making an appearance- issues OoT ignore), all except the whole Seven Sages thing- which I offer a lame explanation for. The bulk of the evidence points towards FSA either being the Seal War, OR an immediate prequel to the actual Seal War.

Is Ocarina of Time the Seal War? No way Jose. It may have been at one time, but a lot has changed....... Yeah, the Sacred Realm became the Dark World, but then Link traveled back in time to BEFORE that happened and screwed us all up. Either Nintendo called a retcon or figured out the original chronology didn't flow smoothly enough.

#5 Knuckle

Master of Dimensions!

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4955 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

That makes sense. I guess that means OOT is the events leading to the seal war, while FSA is the actual war?

#6 Ivo-goji

Lizalfos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yep. That would seem to be the long and short of it. I think what happened was they found fitting all the games they wanted to make into the bounds of that little backstory in ALttP to be too restricting, so the creators try to stretch the story out........ For example, the manual mentions how Ganondorf got the Triforce, events covered in not one but two whole games (Ocarina and Twilight Princess), yet sums it all up in but a paragraph. Likewise, the Seal War is given as an event that immediately followed the Triforce's theft, but the conflict is apparently played out in or after Four Swords Adventures, another game altogether from the solid continuation of OoT and TP. Then FSA itself has two games dedicated to its backstory (Four Swords and Minish Cap), giving the origin of the Four Sword and Vaati, neither of which appeared in ALttP. However, the remake of ALttP did indeed feature the Four Sword, seemingly tying everything back together. Now Skyward Sword in on the way, a game that will apparently deal with the origins of the Master Sword- an event that has little more than a sentence devoted to it in ALttP's manual. That would seem to be how the designers operate- take the smallest snippet of the story and magnify it into an epic in its own right.

#7 bootson

Bubble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

you know this is really interesting and i really like your points but i honestly don't have the patience to read all of that shoved together like that lol i would love a more spaced out version :P but so far seems like you have something very interesting going on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users