Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Official Homestuck discussion

1274 posts in this topic

Posted

What? Thats just stupid. You're one of those fans who want the story to have a linear telling and a happy ending

Where the hell did you get this idea from me? When did I ever give you that impression?

I can now confidently state that you literally never attempt to understand or even listen to the things I say.

Staying linear is boring and predictable. If this story kept everyone alive, conducted the children as children, and treated the trolls as the way the upset half of the readership wants them to be treated (Friendly quirky Aliens all working together in perfect harmony like goddamn astrological care bears), I would have stopped reading Homestuck a long time ago, and addressed all of you as retarded for liking it.

Consider this: I'm constantly sitting here making predictions for this story, and so far, I can't think of one that came true that wasn't also obvious. And yet, I still continue to read this story, and continue to make predictions! Strange right? Why would I keep making predictions if I'm always wrong? Did you ever think maybe I enjoy the fact that I'm constantly wrong about this, that Andrew can take this story in so many turns that I didn't anticipate thoroughly enough to make a solid prediction, one that I didn't dismiss as ridiculous at the time? That Andrew can logically twist a story in so many different directions without making me call bullshit?

This is also why I didn't like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as much as you guys. Anyone could see that Kamina was going to die, because if he didn't then Simon, the labeled protagonist, would be nothing but a whiny sidekick for the entire series. And anyone could see that Simon was going to take the Gurren brigade and conquer the anti spirals, because if he died trying or gave up, then the underlying message of the entire series would have been "Find safety in oppression, accept what you have and be complacent," which is a message no director or writer is willing or brave enough to send through his stories in this day and age. This was a predictable story, with giant Robots in space. A saturday morning cartoon, at best.

Then, there's the time traveling concept, which to the best of my knowledge has been exposed and thought out leagues more than any other time traveling story I've ever read. It reveals an entirely new cause and level of conflict for the characters to interact with and between. What if Joe spoke with Bill a hundred times, but in Bill's future? And then, what if he went back in time to talk to Bill, a person who he not only knows very well, but also knows exactly what he is going to do? How would that conversation play out, between someone who knows absolute causal everything about someone, and someone who knew literally nothing about the other? What happens in Bill's future, when he starts interacting with Jack, which is also Jack's past, who knows much less about Bill then he did in Bill's past, which was also briefly Jack's future? What happens when people catch on to this? Do they develop a system of passwords so that they can linearly communicate? Do they pledge not to go back in time and talk to someone to muck everything up, which is already a promise we knew they either kept or broke because we would have seen that conversation already? Do they decide for the best to just follow the time line as linear as possible while still time traveling to avoid all that? By bringing all of these possibilities into fruition and more, Andrew has shown us all that he has read into all of this, and kept their decisions and conversations in line with the individual character's personalities.

And then we have the actual conflict all of them are engaged in. When we started the story, we didn't know much about the game, but we all assumed there wasn't much to know, either. John wanted to play a computer game with his friends. So he found one that looked fun. Get in the game, avoid the meteor, build your house up to the gates while killing imps, and when you get through all the gates, you win!

Look at how much more complicated the game is now. There's two dream planets at war with eachother that you wake up on when you fall asleep, and killing your awake self turns your dream self into a god. Depending on the outcome of your game (which is predestined to win or fail in some situations) the result of the universe you create will change, with influences coming from the universe that created it. And that's the short version. Everyone who is caught up with Homestuck as of January 2011 knows there is still more to it than that.

One of the biggest attributes of the story, beyond the unique and original style it is being told in, is how complex this story is. Everything in this story that looks like it might be sudden and random has been hinted at in past instances of the story either vaguely or in concrete. As an example, consider this moment in the story, In which John's best attempts at putting out a conflagration in a Salamander village have failed. Suddenly, a convenient gust of wind comes to extinguish everything! In any other story this would have instantly been written off as deus ex machina with scorn, but given the humorous tone of John's interactions with the fire prior, and Andrew's history and style of comedy in such a related fashion, it was decidedly funny. Besides, this was "The Land of wind and shade," and the wind was already operating to John's convenience in early instances for unknown reasons aside from convenience through a sort of technology of the land. Yet later still in the story we learn that the wind was likely a construct of John's on subconscious ability to be "The Windy One" as a god of sorts (through his own suicide). Something as elaborate and intricate as this plot device that we caught a glimpse of through nothing more than another one of Andrew's sense of humour spiels is only an example of how defined this epic really is.

This is a legitimately interesting story. All the characters have been fleshed out at this point beyond any two dimensional status I could confidently describe them as, including Equius and Nepeta. The way I see it, Andrew is writing a story with some of the best character interaction I've read, with themes such as temporal violations, creation stories, and how to conquer them as an added bonus. And, I'm in love with his sense of humour. That's why I like it. You are Retarded.

Posted

I'm pretty sure the trolls were doomed anyway, time shit and whatnot?

pheo defends himself like a pro

Posted

Ohhhhhhh Nepeta (or whatever her name is) is very pretty!

also fffffffffff maplehoof, fffffffffff pretty princess doll ;-; rose I want them

also ahhh sibling love

Posted

maplehoof <3

Posted

Okay I finished editing it and i cut it short because i have to work on werewolf but T1g is still retarded.

Posted

i ignored his argument because i wasnt actually serious when i said that.

Frankly i am surprised he felt like i was being serious.

Goddamn that was a long rant.

also teto i was just thinking that fanart for nepeta's god tier looked awesome.

I mean, the trolls dont have to have butterfly wings

Posted

I still want you to at least read this part, if anything:

Consider this: I'm constantly sitting here making predictions for this story, and so far, I can't think of one that came true that wasn't also obvious. And yet, I still continue to read this story, and continue to make predictions! Strange right? Why would I keep making predictions if I'm always wrong? Did you ever think maybe I enjoy the fact that I'm constantly wrong about this, that Andrew can take this story in so many turns that I didn't anticipate thoroughly enough to make a solid prediction, one that I didn't dismiss as ridiculous at the time? That Andrew can logically twist a story in so many different directions without making me call bullshit?

This is also why I didn't like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as much as you guys. Anyone could see that Kamina was going to die, because if he didn't then Simon, the labeled protagonist, would be nothing but a whiny sidekick for the entire series. And anyone could see that Simon was going to take the Gurren brigade and conquer the anti spirals, because if he died trying or gave up, then the underlying message of the entire series would have been "Find safety in oppression, accept what you have and be complacent," which is a message no director or writer is willing or brave enough to send through his stories in this day and age. This was a predictable story, with giant Robots in space. A saturday morning cartoon, at best.

Posted

i dont want to

Posted

I am the kind of person who really hates the fans who want a linear and cookie cutter story out of Homestuck.

Posted

Their deaths were all sad

Sad -> I don't want them to die

So yeah, not that far deep down, I do want a happy ending.

But one that isn't super happy is fine too.

Posted

agreed. I mean of course we are UPSET when someone dies. But we also cant have everyone get rewritten back into the story through something stupid.

Posted

I don't know about that. People have been put in robots, been revived to achieve god tier status, and prototyped themselves onto sprites to stay around. Nothing seems too ridiculous a way to get revived anymore. Not that I mind; being ridiculous is what makes me like Homestuck so much.

Posted

I don't know about that. People have been put in robots, been revived to achieve god tier status, and prototyped themselves onto sprites to stay around. Nothing seems too ridiculous a way to get revived anymore. Not that I mind; being ridiculous is what makes me like Homestuck so much.

i mean via cliche everyone is brought back with the power of love at the end kind of stupid

Posted

Saha. First of all. Your Browser is creepy.

Second of all, You are neither French, nor Funky. So stop listening to that music.

Third of all, are you saying we need a MS Paint Adventure? Cuz I'd be more then happy to assemble a team.

Lastly, WTF IS FUNKY FRENCH?