Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Light's Legacy

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I jumped up and ran to the door to open it, expecting to see my father on the other side.

'Father,' I squealed before looking up to see a man dressed in a blue cloak standing in the doorway.

'I bear unfortunate news of your father's fate,' he said in a deep voice and handed me a folded piece of fresh parchment. The royal seal stamped on the front was still warm. I took the letter and slowly and stared up at the man.

'I am sorry.' He bowed and continued on his way. I let the door swing shut as I opened the letter and my tears smudged the words that told me my father had gone missing and was presumed dead. It can't be true; just last week he wrote me telling me all about the little village he was staying in until it was time to come home, he had also sent two hundred rupees and a funny looking, gold medallion. On it, were three inward pointing triangles with little circles embossed in between each. Father didn't say what it was so I figured it was some sort of souvenir he had picked up during his travels. It was strange, yet such a pretty thing...

I slammed the door shut and threw my helmet and sword on the ground. They clanged against each other and bounced into the small bedside table, causing the oil lamp to lose its balance and topple to the floor. Slices of glass scattered across the stone flooring and I collapsed onto the edge of my bed with my head in my hands. It wasn't supposed to be like this; I was the only member of the Royal Guard that had travelled outside Castle Town. They needed me for this mission and they knew it all too well, only the General and the rest of the soldiers couldn't see past the fact that I was at least ten years their junior... and a woman. I honestly thought this was my chance to finally get out of Castle Town and find my father, now, instead of accompanying them when they set out at dawn tomorrow to fight the evil currently plaguing Hyrule; I was to be reassigned to sentry duty.

It had been five years since I last saw my father. We had come to Castle Town so he could work as a tutor to the Princess. Before that we were nomads; journeying all over Hyrule in search of history. My father was fascinated by the temples, especially the Temple of Time as his grandfather had helped build it. We had only been living in Castle Town for a few months when he came across an old book in the Castle's library about a group called the 'Ancient Sages'. He left almost immediately in search of something, I don't know what, and was gone for four months before the Royal Family's messenger brought me the lying letter.

'I am so sorry, Silver. Your father was a dear friend and a gracious man to all he knew and crossed paths with,' people would say as they passed me in the streets during the months that followed my father's disappearance. I hated how everyone presumed he was dead because no one could find him. I knew my father and I knew he wasn't dead. Since I was a little girl, I have been able to feel the presence of those connected to me. Even though I was only four when my mother died, I knew she gone and I felt at peace when I thought of her. With my father, it was different; I felt restless and often had dreams of him visiting mysterious 'ghost people' in the desert and fighting the same, strange shadow beasts that were invading Hyrule. Lately the dreams had been growing more intense and more frequent. I had to get out of here, whether it was with the Guard or not. This was my first and last chance since I was thirteen and with everything that's been going on lately, we might all be dead soon.

I hastily removed my Guard uniform and dressed in my mother's travelling armour. I fastened my sword in its sheath to the brown belt around my waist and slung my crossbow and quiver across my back. I gathered some food and water in a small bag, along with the gold medallion Father had given me all those years ago. I grabbed my cloak and wrapped it around my shoulders before hurrying out the door. I used the hood to help conceal my face as I wove through the back streets of Castle Town. It was almost dusk, so there weren't that many people out and the evening shadows made it easier for me hide. I made it to the eastern thoroughfare and slipped through the enormous wooden doors just before the guard appeared around the corner to lock them for the night. I ran along the bridge and ducked behind the large brick wall so that he didn't see me. When I heard the echo of the doors as the guard shut them, followed by the key turning in the lock, I breathed a sigh of relief and stared out at the field before me. I had no clue where I was headed or where I should go first, let alone what my father was searching for when he left.

Where are you, Father... I thought and a chill wind swept through the trees. I pulled my cloak tighter around my body as I began towards the path directly ahead and already I feel the presence of my father growing stronger within me.

Hmm... so who do you think Silver's dad is?

All will be revealed in time, but for now... please reply with something lovely smile.gif

Posted

Well, I think it's a good start. I don't know if I like the name Silver, though.

Posted

so i can't be stuffed updating here... the next three chapters are on fanfiction.net if u wanna read them. username: TangoOscar