Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Riots in Libya

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Seems like Libya is looking to pull an egypt, government resignations en masse, fighter pilots defecting, protesting in the streets, Gadhafi is losing control.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110221/ap_on_re_af/af_libya_protests;_ylt=Aqp3myVGXmTsMfHOlIXsWois0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNodXEydWhoBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIxL2FmX2xpYnlhX3Byb3Rlc3RzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbGlieWFwcm90ZXN0

CAIRO – Deep cracks opened in Moammar Gadhafi's regime Monday, with Libyan government officials at home and abroad resigning, air force pilots defecting and a major government building ablaze after clashes in the capital of Tripoli. Protesters called for another night of defiance against the Arab world's longest-serving leader despite a crackdown.

At sunset, pro-Gadhafi militia drove around Tripoli with loudspeakers and told people not to leave their homes, witnesses said, as security forces sought to keep the unrest that swept eastern parts of the country — leaving the second-largest city of Benghazi in protesters' control — from overwhelming the capital of 2 million people.....

Posted

I heard about this earlier today, via twitter, sadly enough. Heard there's a genocide going on too. And that the Libyan dictator is insane.

Have your prayers go out to Libya today, guys, they're massacring people.

Posted

It's gonna be Hell there for a while, the military seems to be behind Gadhafi for the most part. This could end badly.

Posted

Saw that, Cirt.

That would be why two F1 Fighter pilots are seeking political asylum in Malta.

Posted

First of all, I don't understand what political asylum means. Second of all, are Libya and Egypt the only countries rioting? There's going to be more, right?

Posted

First of all, I don't understand what political asylum means. Second of all, are Libya and Egypt the only countries rioting? There's going to be more, right?

Well, political asylum just means they are asking malta to take care of them and keep them safe from the libyan government. In return they are providing information and services.

And there are no other major riots or protests going on right now, but there are some possibilities. For example, iran is sending a warship through the suez canal into the Mediterranean sea, which could cause some problems with israel, so on. Things in that whole area are getting pretty hot.

Posted

Man, I try googling info on the situation in Libya, and all I get is news about foreigners trying to get out of there asap. India's sending warships to get their people out of there. No charge for passengers, unlike the special Air India flights out of Egypt from earlier. This is a massive evacuation. Lots of Canadians trying to get out, too, because foreigners are getting gunned down there.

Posted

More to update.

17 are dead in Libyan city of Zawiya after government attacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/24/libya.protests/index.html?npt=NP1

enghazi, Libya (CNN) -- Doctors at a field hospital in Martyrs Square in Zawiya said Friday that 17 people were killed and another 150 were wounded when government forces attacked the city. They predicted the death toll would rise by morning.

Posted

My friends sister and brother were supposed to be on the last plane for the Americans out of Libya...

and they didnt make it, so now theyre stuck there :( idk whats going to happen to themmmm

Posted

Oh my god OOT ;; I hope your friends' sister and brother are going to be alright and will get out of Libya somehow and soon. They're in my thoughts.

Posted

thank you so much :) Every bit helps