Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zelda as Story

9 posts in this topic

Posted

What do you guys think about Zelda's (as a series or individual game) ability to tell a story? A lot of people claim that Zelda is the basic "save the princess" archetype, but I think that there's a lot more to it.

This is something we've been talking about on our show (Rescue the Princess!) where we talk about stories in video games. For example we recently did an episode on Majora's Mask and how there's a lot of moral choices involved in the time loop. We're forced to get to know the Terminians and it's up to us to decide to help them or not (as we know whats going to happen if we don't).

Anyway, so what do you guys think about Zelda's story? Which one is the best and why?

Oh and here's our latest episode where we cover the entire series. Wind Waker fans be warned...

The Legend of Zelda: Episode 8. With special guest: Zelda Girl

Posted

I think they do a good job with their stories, however I don't believe they've exactly pushed themselves out of their comfort zones for it. Mainly this is out of tradition o' course and I don't mind that, but I mean you look at other games which have continuations and such, and a lot of them get praise. Zelda's got praise, but rarely have they ever tried to ultimately continue a story (besides OoT to MM, to my knowledge).

Its always a new story per game, but nothing past that: you beat the game, you finish the story. :[

Now MM was the closest I saw to a continuation because its OoT Link, but I became irritated with the time limit and never finished it. I know lots of people who love the game to bits, and a few people who can't stand that time limit too. xD So I'm not sure if MM was very popular or not (suggesting that popularity defines a continuation), but MM didn't get continued (again, to my knowledge. Could be wrong here though), so its something I wonder about.

Its really a debateable topic. I mean its easier to just write and finish a story for one game and then think of a new one for the next game, but are they meaning to do this out of popularity for the franchise, tradition, or simply because of the fact that its a less difficult route to take?

I think they could go that extra mile and make at least 3 games that were official sequels of one another. Everyone has favorite Zelda characters that they'd like to see return, but mostly gamers only get mentions of the race of said character, or their sons and daughters.

Posted

Well I don't think that they have to make follow-up games in order to tell a good story. But I would like to see more emphasis on the story in a single game. Usually Nintendo builds their titles around gameplay and worries about story secondly. I'd like to see a game that favors both equally.

I think Majora's Mask accomplishes this to an extent. The gameplay still contains the usual dungeon exploration, etc. But the overworld quests merge gameplay and story. You have a limited amount of time to help these people and this creates a tension and urgency to the story. It also creates a compelling allegory of the hero who must make decisions knowing the consequences of his actions.

Posted

I'm sorry you feel that way Eka, because Majora's Mask has one of the best stories in any videogame. It's not so much the literal story but the imagery, symbolism, and emotion that the game displays. It's unmatched in atmosphere and cohesion.

Aside from Majora's Mask, the Zelda games tend to be light on symbolism and very literal. Boy saves princess and kingdom from evil. Links Awakening is the only one I can think of that diverges from this and places a huge emphasis on humor and cultural references, which is largely to its credit.

All of the Zelda games exhibit a heavy dose of innocence, and this never, ever needs to change for a more "mature" story. The innocence is what sets the games apart, and makes them so genuine. Most Nintendo games have this, and it's what makes them so special.

Even in the darkest of times, in Majora's Mask, Link remains steadfast, genuine, and innocent. That is key, and it shouldn't change.

Posted

Even in the darkest of times, in Majora's Mask, Link remains steadfast, genuine, and innocent. That is key, and it shouldn't change.

I agree with this like, seven times.

Posted

yessssss I also agree that Majora's Mask had the best storyline (and characters, and atmosphere, and music, and world I could go on forever eeeee) in a Zelda game. I just... adore that game so much ;~;

also they need to chuck the Save the Princess fanfare nonsense, it's such a clicheeeeeee storyline now. Same with "Ganon suddenly reappears because we can't think of new villains stop him" It feels like to me like they didn't even try whenever that element is included. It's just... too Mario-ey for me in it's repitition maybe. Zelda should have more complicated storylines. tbh I kinda like the darker and edgier, and differing storyline aspects of Zelda the best you know? Leave the light-hearted stuff for Mario.

argh I probably make no sense like usual, but that's my opinion so :>>>

Posted

I like the light hearted games, though I wouldn't mind if they made it a tad darker in act two (like in OoT) instead of just 1 scary dungeon (Like the Earth Temple in tWW- Although that game is the best so far so I'm not complaining too much)

I'd love to see SS have a super dark setting in the second act. I think that would look awesome in it's cell-shaded style.

Posted

Yeah so I've heard. ^^;; If I ever get my N64 back from my brother I might try and attempt to play it again.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be more dark: Twilight Princess was a good amount of 'darkness' that the gamers saw, and agreed on the whole innocence bit.

I'm also not saying they need continuations to make a good story: all of their games have good stories. I just think that they have the ability to expand their game storylines by making continuations that didn't always introduce new Links and such. Its not bad to have these new Links, but one game ends a storyline which always leaves me feeling a little sad because its likely I won't see a lot of my favorite characters again. :[

Posted

All of the Zelda games exhibit a heavy dose of innocence, and this never, ever needs to change for a more "mature" story. The innocence is what sets the games apart, and makes them so genuine. Most Nintendo games have this, and it's what makes them so special.

Very true. Although one could argue that Link and Zelda lose their innocence after Ganondorf manipulates their plans in Ocarina of Time.

also they need to chuck the Save the Princess fanfare nonsense, it's such a clicheeeeeee storyline now. Same with "Ganon suddenly reappears because we can't think of new villains stop him" It feels like to me like they didn't even try whenever that element is included. It's just... too Mario-ey for me in it's repitition maybe.

*cough*twilight princess*cough*

Zelda should have more complicated storylines. tbh I kinda like the darker and edgier, and differing storyline aspects of Zelda the best you know? Leave the light-hearted stuff for Mario.

I agree completely.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be more dark: Twilight Princess was a good amount of 'darkness' that the gamers saw, and agreed on the whole innocence bit.

I'm also not saying they need continuations to make a good story: all of their games have good stories. I just think that they have the ability to expand their game storylines by making continuations that didn't always introduce new Links and such. Its not bad to have these new Links, but one game ends a storyline which always leaves me feeling a little sad because its likely I won't see a lot of my favorite characters again. :[

Yeah, I would like to see returning characters. A game that took place after OoT where all the characters are older would be cool. I always thought that meeting "Link" the Goron in another game would be awesome.