Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Please Gimmie Some Input On My Art!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So as most of you know, I'm okay at arts. That's about it for me, so I'm trying to improve as much as I can! I've recently decided to practice a lot more and draw at least one acceptable picture a day. (Though sometimes I just don't have time with the situation that I'm in) I often go out into the main road of the city and sit on a bus bench and draw. It's relaxing to get outta this stuffy house and into the fresh air. However... Since I don't live with my parents anymore... I kinda don't have any art supplies aside from some mechanical pencils (almost used up :<) and 3 sharpies- one thin and 2 normal sized. I've also run outta paper so I draw on wooden planks- Which I kinda think is fun. Also, my tablet is broken. WOE IS ME! But enough of that- I wanna show you some of my recent art and get some opinions on it. :>

Here is my older style. (I didn't show the colored version because I'm afraid it might have an unfair advantage over the other one)

MusicalCentaur-Lines.png

Pros:

-Simplistic

-Flexible

-More abstract

Cons:

-A bit unoriginal

Here is my new style that I'm working on. (Sorry for the shitty web cam picture)

196826_212080585473271_100000139923386_966122_1976295_n.jpg

Pros:

-Detailed

-More dynamic

Cons:

-A bit hard to draw for me, at the moment. Especially the arms and head shape.

So please, vote on the poll and tell me what you think. Most people like the new style better, but I've only asked a few people. I want everyone's opinion- from artists to people who can't even draw stick figures. Please tell me which you like better and WHY. I really appreciate it.

Posted

I like your new style art more because, although the old style is still good! I just find the whole drawing on planks of wood more interesting and fun. Plus I genuninely think it looks better :>

Posted

HAHAHA, thanks. Although I'm hoping I won't havta draw on wood for too much longer. I can't scan and share my wood with you guys! (Dirty sentence is dirty)

Posted

New style

Even though it's hard to compare the two since one is a person and the other is a centaur.

But yeah, the new style looks more detailed. And I guess if you want to get better and better, there's no point in limiting yourself with a simplistic art style.

Posted

I like the older style.

But only because it reminds me of Adventure Time.

Posted

I like the new one. Detailed picture are more fun to look at. And by the way you draw, you're VERY good at it.

Posted

Also extra con on the new style is that it's scott pilgrim

Posted

Thanks for all of your opinions.

@ Kimmy- That's exactly why I love my older style. However, with that comes the unoriginal complex. If I ever put my work out there to be popular, it wouldn't be recognized. Even people who follow and pay attention to my art would refer to it as "Adventure Time fan/styled art" as opposed to "Skyler Kuhn's art" or even "Phantasmagoric Hero's art."

@ Teto- Although I do see similarities between that and Bryan Lee O'Mally's art, I would not call it the same. There are just as many minor details that make it different as there are minor details that make it similar. However, I can't really say that about my older style. It's basically a Pendleton Ward rehash and nothing else.

I have this idea-- this plan.

I thought of it while wondering around High Street (the main street in this city/town). I noticed hundreds of flyers and stickers randomly placed all over the place. On telephone poles, bulletin boards, buildings, parking meters, bus benches, news stands-- everywhere. I loved it! I would stop every few feet to read a flyer about some band performance or look at a colorful sticker. So much to see and a great way for underground advertisement.

My plan has a few steps-

1) After getting a job and paying rent and all that jazz, save up my money for a new tablet.

2) Use that tablet to make arts.

3) Get a website. Not a big fancy one but, but most artists have an online portfolio to present their work. I should get on of those too soon.

4) Make my art into stickers. Not huge but not small. About the size of a "Hello, My Name Is: ______" sticker or a bit bigger. They would have my URL on them as well.

5) PLACE MY STICKERS ALL OVER HIGH STREET!

Not only do I think that this'll be a decent way to advertise (I mean, after seeing repetitive images constantly, people are bound to take an interest and give them a closer inspection. That's when they'll see my URL. And if they are legit interested in it, they'll visit my site.) but I think it may bring some joy to the people who see them. I know I smile whenever I see a pretty picture placed randomly on that street. I think that'll be fun.

Posted

Why did you completely ignore me, like I didn't even post?

Jerk :(

Posted

What LL said.

Also, Loomis.

Oh wait, art these days is all about style now, right?

Right?

Posted

I didn't steal this style. Lot's of people have similar styles. In just really enjoy drawing this way.

@Jared- I didn't ignore you, I just didn't have anything particular to say to you.

Posted

Oh, my bad. Fast typing with little attention to errors.