Where do the 2D games fit in the timeline?

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's a question that could spark a good discussion. Where do the 2D Zelda games fit in the timeline? I think that they occur after TP in this order: ALTTP/LA-LOZ/AOL-OOX. The only ones that are a problem are the Four Swords games. As far as I'm concerned, they could go either between TP and ALTTP, or between ALTTP and LOZ.

Posted

I think that makes sense for the most part, I just get so frustrated with those capcom games. I want to put OOX somewhere in the middle of the series because the ending sort of implies some sort of continuation of the series. Minish cap looks like it belongs somewhere at the beginning, or waaaaaay after the LttP at least, since the Master Sword has no mention at all, implying it either has been forgotten or doesn't exist yet.

Posted

Child Timeline(my theory):OoT-LoZ-AoL-ALTTP-OoS-OoA-LA-MC-FS-FSA-TP

My theory is that due to ganondorf being sealed in the dark world at the end of OoT and in the LoZ intro it says he escapes from the DW. then AoL uses the same link as in LoZ. then as stated in the OLD miyamoto order ALTTP. then the oracles since at the end of a linked game link sails off on the same ship that is destroyed in LA and in the booklet it say he is returning from another adventure in a new land. then the Four Swords series since it talks of the Dark mirror and shadow link AKA the Dark Interlopers/Twili from TP and it uses the same dark mirror from TP in FSA. And the four sword bears a slight resemblance to the execution sword and are both very powerful and sacred blades alongside the master sword in TP. TP would go last because in the miyamoto order (both) LOZ,AOL, ALTTP come first. And in TP Ganon is not only destroyed but his human form, Ganondorf is specifically killed by being stabbed with two sacred, light swords in the chest and his eyes rolling back. implying that he is most likely dead for good

P.S. I love how this was started a couple hours before me and ganonlords disscusion on the timeline

Posted

Child Timeline(my theory):OoT-LoZ-AoL-ALTTP-OoS-OoA-LA-MC-FS-FSA-TP

My theory is that due to ganondorf being sealed in the dark world at the end of OoT and in the LoZ intro it says he escapes from the DW. then AoL uses the same link as in LoZ. then as stated in the OLD miyamoto order ALTTP. then the oracles since at the end of a linked game link sails off on the same ship that is destroyed in LA and in the booklet it say he is returning from another adventure in a new land. then the Four Swords series since it talks of the Dark mirror and shadow link AKA the Dark Interlopers/Twili from TP and it uses the same dark mirror from TP in FSA. And the four sword bears a slight resemblance to the execution sword and are both very powerful and sacred blades alongside the master sword in TP. TP would go last because in the miyamoto order (both) LOZ,AOL, ALTTP come first. And in TP Ganon is not only destroyed but his human form, Ganondorf is specifically killed by being stabbed with two sacred, light swords in the chest and his eyes rolling back. implying that he is most likely dead for good

P.S. I love how this was started a couple hours before me and ganonlords disscusion on the timeline

the old Miyamoto order really doesn't have any merit. It has been confirmed to be a mistranslation, or it might as well have been. It was originally going to be in a NP interview, but I think someone had the issue of NP the interview was supposedly in and it wasn't there. The translation of that entire interview was probably botched. Not to mention Miyamoto himself had the info removed from zelda.com. NOA translation standards at the time were really horrible, and the translator at the time wasn't that fluent in Japanese. And for your logic for the OOT-LOZ order, how does TWW fit in, or, as of the time OOT was made, ALTTP? it was mentioned in that game that the OOT seal was broken at some point before that game. And in TP, if you look at Ganon's dying words, he makes it very clear that his story is not over. And it can't go at the end since it has been confirmed to take place about a century after MM. The amount of time between the IW and ALTTP alone is over 400 years. And in LOZ, I think I know what you're referring to by Dark World. I think it was used in reference to the dungeons, which is Ganon's world, and the correct translation is something like "underworld", not "Dark World". In real world terms, the DW didn't exist yet. And why can't TP go before the classic games? TP is a much newer game. If the order was LOZ-ALTTP-TP, there are a few things I would want you to explain.

1.In that order, how does the status of the Triforce work? In LOZ, the entire thing is in Hyrule, and in the other two, it is in the SR, which, on the CT, at least, wasn't changed until the IW.

2. In TP, there are still some remains of the Temple of Time. In ALTTP, they are completely gone.

3. Most of the races in TP are either gone or turned evil by ALTTP.

I won't touch the oracles of the FS games yet since I need to explain quite a few things regarding those. One thing I will mention, though, is that Ganon's forms are not really separate. A common theory for Ganon's return, which I support, is that there are at least two Ganons. The games lend themselves to this idea.

Posted

Between the 1D and 3D games.

Posted

Between the 1D and 3D games.

lol. Didn't someone already post something like that?

Posted

lol. Didn't someone already post something like that?

oh yeah

did feel a sense of deja vu posting that right enough.

Forgot you accidentally posted this thread twice o:

Posted

oh yeah

did feel a sense of deja vu posting that right enough.

Forgot you accidentally posted this thread twice o:

True, but jokes like that only work once, at least they usually do. Somehow, this one is still funny.

Posted

the old Miyamoto order really doesn't have any merit. It has been confirmed to be a mistranslation, or it might as well have been. It was originally going to be in a NP interview, but I think someone had the issue of NP the interview was supposedly in and it wasn't there. The translation of that entire interview was probably botched. Not to mention Miyamoto himself had the info removed from zelda.com. NOA translation standards at the time were really horrible, and the translator at the time wasn't that fluent in Japanese. And for your logic for the OOT-LOZ order, how does TWW fit in, or, as of the time OOT was made, ALTTP? it was mentioned in that game that the OOT seal was broken at some point before that game. And in TP, if you look at Ganon's dying words, he makes it very clear that his story is not over. And it can't go at the end since it has been confirmed to take place about a century after MM. The amount of time between the IW and ALTTP alone is over 400 years. And in LOZ, I think I know what you're referring to by Dark World. I think it was used in reference to the dungeons, which is Ganon's world, and the correct translation is something like "underworld", not "Dark World". In real world terms, the DW didn't exist yet. And why can't TP go before the classic games? TP is a much newer game. If the order was LOZ-ALTTP-TP, there are a few things I would want you to explain.

1.In that order, how does the status of the Triforce work? In LOZ, the entire thing is in Hyrule, and in the other two, it is in the SR, which, on the CT, at least, wasn't changed until the IW.

2. In TP, there are still some remains of the Temple of Time. In ALTTP, they are completely gone.

3. Most of the races in TP are either gone or turned evil by ALTTP.

I won't touch the oracles of the FS games yet since I need to explain quite a few things regarding those. One thing I will mention, though, is that Ganon's forms are not really separate. A common theory for Ganon's return, which I support, is that there are at least two Ganons. The games lend themselves to this idea.

I noted that the 1998 miyamto wasnt what i was going by in my last post ans for TDR.The Dark Realm is the Sacred Realm turned evil by Ganon's dark magic, and ganon and ganondorf are one person but there are two different ganons, one in each timeline which is explained in the multiple ganon theory which is what i think your talking about. And miyamto as well as Eiji Anoumo confirmed that there are two diffrent timeline split in OOT and that TWW is in a totally different timeline than LOZ. And A link to the past could come after Z2 as ganon is most likely revived at the end of that game. And Eiji Anoumo stated that two or more times later on TP takes place several centuries later from OOT. And the races are not extint in ALLTP like zoras. the river zoras are totally different from the good ocean zoras, the kokiri are only mentioned in OOT and most likely evolved by ALLTP like in TWW, and the gorons just dont appear like there are only 4 in TWW but several in PH and SP. or how only 7 are in MC but several in FSA. And to answer your other Question.

1The Triforce is shown in OOT to have split an is shown in every game to be embroided into Zelda, Ganondorf, and Link's hand. in ALLTP its just the essence of the triforce.

2.In OOT the Temple of time and lost woods are shown to be completely far apart from one another and TP could very well go last since is is shown that the geograpy of the land has changed.

3. See explanation

Posted

I noted that the 1998 miyamto wasnt what i was going by in my last post ans for TDR.The Dark Realm is the Sacred Realm turned evil by Ganon's dark magic, and ganon and ganondorf are one person but there are two different ganons, one in each timeline which is explained in the multiple ganon theory which is what i think your talking about. And miyamto as well as Eiji Anoumo confirmed that there are two diffrent timeline split in OOT and that TWW is in a totally different timeline than LOZ. And A link to the past could come after Z2 as ganon is most likely revived at the end of that game. And Eiji Anoumo stated that two or more times later on TP takes place several centuries later from OOT. And the races are not extint in ALLTP like zoras. the river zoras are totally different from the good ocean zoras, the kokiri are only mentioned in OOT and most likely evolved by ALLTP like in TWW, and the gorons just dont appear like there are only 4 in TWW but several in PH and SP. or how only 7 are in MC but several in FSA. And to answer your other Question.

1The Triforce is shown in OOT to have split an is shown in every game to be embroided into Zelda, Ganondorf, and Link's hand. in ALLTP its just the essence of the triforce.

2.In OOT the Temple of time and lost woods are shown to be completely far apart from one another and TP could very well go last since is is shown that the geograpy of the land has changed.

3. See explanation

Sources:1.Many zelda fan sites

2.Both Zelda wikis

LOL ZELDA WIKIS!!! And what fan sites are you using as sources? I've been to a great deal of them, so I can assess their accuracy.

1. Umm..the entire point of the IW mentioned in ALTTP is that there was a war to find the triforce in the SR. In ALTTP, we obviously see the entire thing, and the triforce can only grant a wish when all three pieces are united. OOT screwed the mythos up.

2. What about the final line of ALTTP, "And the Master Sword sleeps again...forever"? I know it says the something similar in the Japanese version, so that means that there can't be any MS games after ALTTP. The oracles don't count since the MS in those games is not the real one. And the geogrphy really doesn't mean anything. As for the lost woods thing, FSA actually shows us the origins of the ALTTP lost woods. It was a forest of light until Ganon II came in and infected it with his evil, turning it into the lost woods.

Oh. You got the basis of the multiple Ganon theory wrong. There is the one from OOT, who exists on both timelines, and dies in both of them. There is another Ganondorf who takes over at some point after he died. He's the one who stole the trident in FSA and became the new Ganon. The goron argument with TMC and FSA doesn't work anywhere, and PH and ST are not a fair comparison. PH takes place in another world, and ST takes place in a new land. As of TWW, only the Hylian gorons are dwindling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that the Adult Link events of OOT occur on both timelines. That CANNOT work out. The reason for that is because Zelda sent Link back to his childhood at the end of OOT so the Adult Link portion would never happen. In fact, in the TP split timeline interview, Aonuma even mentioned that Ganon was arrested because the king on the CT was informed of Ganon's intentions, thus the entrance to the SR never opened (don't try to explain what happened in the execution scene. Many of us are still trying to figure that one out). Or at least it wasn't opened until the IW. And if there are so many Links between MM and TP, how come only one prvious Link is mentioned in TP? Another thing is while there are still quite a few Hylians alive in TP, there are very few in ALTTP since they are dying out by that point.

Posted

LOL ZELDA WIKIS!!! And what fan sites are you using as sources? I've been to a great deal of them, so I can assess their accuracy.

1. Umm..the entire point of the IW mentioned in ALTTP is that there was a war to find the triforce in the SR. In ALTTP, we obviously see the entire thing, and the triforce can only grant a wish when all three pieces are united. OOT screwed the mythos up.

2. What about the final line of ALTTP, "And the Master Sword sleeps again...forever"? I know it says the something similar in the Japanese version, so that means that there can't be any MS games after ALTTP. The oracles don't count since the MS in those games is not the real one. And the geogrphy really doesn't mean anything. As for the lost woods thing, FSA actually shows us the origins of the ALTTP lost woods. It was a forest of light until Ganon II came in and infected it with his evil, turning it into the lost woods.

Oh. You got the basis of the multiple Ganon theory wrong. There is the one from OOT, who exists on both timelines, and dies in both of them. There is another Ganondorf who takes over at some point after he died. He's the one who stole the trident in FSA and became the new Ganon. The goron argument with TMC and FSA doesn't work anywhere, and PH and ST are not a fair comparison. PH takes place in another world, and ST takes place in a new land. As of TWW, only the Hylian gorons are dwindling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that the Adult Link events of OOT occur on both timelines. That CANNOT work out. The reason for that is because Zelda sent Link back to his childhood at the end of OOT so the Adult Link portion would never happen. In fact, in the TP split timeline interview, Aonuma even mentioned that Ganon was arrested because the king on the CT was informed of Ganon's intentions, thus the entrance to the SR never opened (don't try to explain what happened in the execution scene. Many of us are still trying to figure that one out). Or at least it wasn't opened until the IW. And if there are so many Links between MM and TP, how come only one prvious Link is mentioned in TP? Another thing is while there are still quite a few Hylians alive in TP, there are very few in ALTTP since they are dying out by that point.

1. the war was when ganon entered the sacred realm in the child timeline and during that time the triforce was still together.

2.As far as im concerned the Master Sword will never sleep forever as long as ganon still lives just like how at the end of MC it says links first adventure ends it is probably only for that generation. and im almost positive it doesnt say forever in the japanese version, and geography does play a big role in it cause it shows how much the world has changed since the original land formation in OOT.

I only believe in the first part of the Multiple ganon theory because there is no in game evidence that really would prove the two ganons in the child timeline, other than in FSA where it could be the same ganon because it is unlikely the trident is equal enough in power to the triforce to turn ganon into what the triforce did and a man is born in the gerudo tribe every 100 years where FSA takes centuries after OOT so it is unlikely the same man was born twice. and im not confusing the timelines, and the king was only just informed as ganondorf opended the door to the sacred realm which is how the war talked of in ALTTP started.actually only 3 hylians are pointed out in TP Telma, Link, and Zelda indicated by the fact that they are the only three people in the game with pointed ears and in ALTTP many more hylians still exist. And it only talks of the OOT Link because it is the main link and the ALTTP link has nothing to do with the story.and in both of the miyamoto orders it states LOZ-Z2-ALTTP are all together and come directly after OOT and MM so it would mean that TP would have to go somewhere after LOZ, Z2 and ALTTP or else it would go before OOC which DEFINATELY WOULD NOT WORK.

Posted

1. the war was when ganon entered the sacred realm in the child timeline and during that time the triforce was still together.

2.As far as im concerned the Master Sword will never sleep forever as long as ganon still lives just like how at the end of MC it says links first adventure ends it is probably only for that generation. and im almost positive it doesnt say forever in the japanese version, and geography does play a big role in it cause it shows how much the world has changed since the original land formation in OOT.

I only believe in the first part of the Multiple ganon theory because there is no in game evidence that really would prove the two ganons in the child timeline, other than in FSA where it could be the same ganon because it is unlikely the trident is equal enough in power to the triforce to turn ganon into what the triforce did and a man is born in the gerudo tribe every 100 years where FSA takes centuries after OOT so it is unlikely the same man was born twice. and im not confusing the timelines, and the king was only just informed as ganondorf opended the door to the sacred realm which is how the war talked of in ALTTP started.actually only 3 hylians are pointed out in TP Telma, Link, and Zelda indicated by the fact that they are the only three people in the game with pointed ears and in ALTTP many more hylians still exist. And it only talks of the OOT Link because it is the main link and the ALTTP link has nothing to do with the story.and in both of the miyamoto orders it states LOZ-Z2-ALTTP are all together and come directly after OOT and MM so it would mean that TP would have to go somewhere after LOZ, Z2 and ALTTP or else it would go before OOC which DEFINATELY WOULD NOT WORK.

1. And yet in your theory, the Triforce is in Hyrule before LOZ, as a former king hid the ToC centuries earlier, is reunited and in the possession of the royal family at the end of AOL and in OOX, and is sent back to the SR for ALTTP. Wouldn't it be easier to say that the Triforce was originally in the SR and then taken to Hyrule at the end of ALTTP with its new master( ALTTP Link)?

2. Actually, I had the same doubt about that line at one point. I asked as few people on one of the other fan sites about the MS line at the very end the Japanese version of ALTTP, and all of them said that the line is basically the same. One of them is someone who is from Japan.

As for the FSA Ganon thing, the only evidence of a reincarnation of OOT Ganon were a few lines from the US version of FSA which mentioned something about a spirit in the trident, and the "ancient demon reborn" line. Those were mistranslations. The Japanese explanations are as follows:

In the pyramid: Born from darkness, the demon's evil device, the trident (Japanese)

Evil...spirit of magic trident.(NOA)

end: King of Darkness… The man who took the Trident, the demon's evil device (ja-ki) revived from ancient times!!(Japanese)

King of Darkness, ancient demon reborn. The wielder of the trident!!(NOA)

Both versions do imply that the trident did have the power to corrupt those who had it. Why else would the Zuna and Gerudo seal it away?

Your IW explanation also has a few flaws in it. Games like OOT, TP, and FSA do seem to build up to the IW, which was just one battle that occurred after Ganon won the struggle to get to the Triforce. And if the Ganons in LOZ, ALTTP, and TP are the same and they occur in that order, how would that work since Ganon dies in all of those. He stole the ToP in LOZ and was destroyed, he was sealed during the IW and had the complete Triforce in ALTTP. He died there and the DW disappeared. Those Ganons were permanently turned into demons, while the one in TP still had a human form and only one piece of the triforce. He died and mentioned that the fight was not over, it had only begun.

Posted

1. And yet in your theory, the Triforce is in Hyrule before LOZ, as a former king hid the ToC centuries earlier, is reunited and in the possession of the royal family at the end of AOL and in OOX, and is sent back to the SR for ALTTP. Wouldn't it be easier to say that the Triforce was originally in the SR and then taken to Hyrule at the end of ALTTP with its new master( ALTTP Link)?

2. Actually, I had the same doubt about that line at one point. I asked as few people on one of the other fan sites about the MS line at the very end the Japanese version of ALTTP, and all of them said that the line is basically the same. One of them is someone who is from Japan.

As for the FSA Ganon thing, the only evidence of a reincarnation of OOT Ganon were a few lines from the US version of FSA which mentioned something about a spirit in the trident, and the "ancient demon reborn" line. Those were mistranslations. The Japanese explanations are as follows:

In the pyramid: Born from darkness, the demon's evil device, the trident (Japanese)

Evil...spirit of magic trident.(NOA)

end: King of Darkness… The man who took the Trident, the demon's evil device (ja-ki) revived from ancient times!!(Japanese)

King of Darkness, ancient demon reborn. The wielder of the trident!!(NOA)

Both versions do imply that the trident did have the power to corrupt those who had it. Why else would the Zuna and Gerudo seal it away?

Your IW explanation also has a few flaws in it. Games like OOT, TP, and FSA do seem to build up to the IW, which was just one battle that occurred after Ganon won the struggle to get to the Triforce. And if the Ganons in LOZ, ALTTP, and TP are the same and they occur in that order, how would that work since Ganon dies in all of those. He stole the ToP in LOZ and was destroyed, he was sealed during the IW and had the complete Triforce in ALTTP. He died there and the DW disappeared. Those Ganons were permanently turned into demons, while the one in TP still had a human form and only one piece of the triforce. He died and mentioned that the fight was not over, it had only begun.

1.in OOT the triforce is never tooken in the child timeline and splits during the Imprisoning War after they seal Ganon. In the Loz intro the triforce of courage is with link and the triforce of power is with ganon and the triforce of wisdom is split and link has to reunite the triforce of wisdom and get ganons triforce of power which he does at the end and the triforce is reunited AoL has nothing to do with the triforce other than at the last palace.

2.it might say it in the japanese version but its probobly just talking about that link generation like in TMC

3. reborn as in revived. The Zuna and Gerudo sealed it up because it did have great power as it is the trident the original ganon used if there is another ganon but miyamoto never did agree with that part of the multiple ganon theory but did with the first part when he agreed about the split timeline theory amd the reason i dont believe the second part is mainly because Ganon in FSA is hinted through most of the game to have had a grudge against link but if it was a new ganon he wouldnt even know who link is plus it is is revealed that ganon was controling vaati all along but FSA takes place let alone centuries after TMC when Vaati was introduced . he didnt have the complete triforce it was reunited at the end of LoZ and he was trying to get it back. and the triforce has the power to revive ganon since he is alive in loz and alttp no matter which way they go but it would make more since if ALTTP went after LOZ mainly because of the LOZ intro and the fact that for ganon to be revived in AOL he needed link to die and in the end Dark Link dies so ganon was most likely revived in the Dark World in ALTTP. and i do believe that it was agreed with by either miyamoto or eiji anoumo that ganon only chose to be in that form but when he is struck with the execution sword the sages turned him into his human form again. I also would just like to state that the I think the Oracles would go between ALTTP and LA because in the maual it states hes coming back from another adventure, is on the same ship in the intro to LA as the ship at the end of A Linked Oracles game, and the Final boss in ALTTP is ganon who is ultimatly destroyed but revived by twinrova in the oracles and Delphi the Final boss in LA takes the form of and uses the moves of the ganon from the oracles plus in the oracles the triforce calls to link who presumably already know what the triforce is.

Posted

3. See explanation

1. Then explain the three floating pieces in front of Link at the end of ALTTP, as well as the point of the game, which was to get the triforce from Ganon. Link even had the complete triforce in his hand during that seen, and the entire triforce is in Hyrule in the oracles. Explain that one. Since IW/ALTTP Ganon won it in the IW by killing the group that was with him, he was the master of the triforce. ALTTP even says that the triforce is bound to its master as long as that person is alive. And OOT triforce mythos are a complete mess.

2. As I've said before, it's a different lost woods. FSA actually shows us the origins of the ALTTP lost woods, just like it shows the origins of Trident Ganon (LOZ Ganon is also Trident Ganon. He does have it in the only true LOZ remake and in official artwork from the ALTTP era). And TP can't go at the end, but I'm saving that for the end of this post.

Your Goron arguement is also very weak. I'll admit that the situation in TMC is a mess, but PH and ST are a different story. PH occurs in another world, and ST occurs in a different land with their own gorons.

Aonuma did say that TP is a century after OOT. I will admit that centuries also works since in Japanese, the same word is used for century and centuries, but that is irrelevant. It is implied that TP takes place in an early era of the Zelda universe. That is seen in Ganon's dying words, in which he doesn't come to terms with his death and mentions that the "history of light and shadow will be written in blood", unlike his death in TWW. While the US translation of the end of TP is pretty vague, the Japanese version is very clear at this point.

"Do not think everything ends with this...

Think of this as the beginning of a bloodsmeared history of light and darkness!"

How could TP be at the end if Ganon says that his story, as well as the bloody history of Hyrule, was just beginning. The removed parts of TP's ending also help with that as it foreshadows FSA. I'd recommend reading some of Legends Alliance's translations before we continue with this argument.

Anyone else can jump into this at any time. Here's a second argument for this: are the FS games pre ALTTP, pre LOZ, or after both?