The Most Useless Item in Zelda

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Straightforward question; what do you think is the most useless item in the Zelda series? I can be a recurring or one-time item, but no key items (obviously since most of them are useless). I think Nintendo does a good job with Link's inventory, but here are a few that I think are places where they messed up:

Deku Nuts- Unique but impractical. they can stun multiple enemies, but when do you need to do that? Mostly needed exclusively in Master Quest (since you can get swarmed once or twice as Young Link in the Spirit Temple) and various unusual playthroughs in OOT and MM.

Bombchu- I honestly have no idea where you need these outside of really gimmicky puzzles in OOT (and even more cumbersome places in MM). The Oracle series makes them double useless since they're too expensive to warrant use.

Faroe's Wind- Useless because rookies won't get it (it's well hidden imo) or won't think to use it while veterans don't even need it. You could argue that the incredible fun you can have with it in the bottle adventure glitch makes up for this, but I'd rather not praise it for unintended uses. :ouch:

Hero's Charm- Does anyone even remember this thing? You have to farm 50 joy pendants just to get it, then you cover yourself up with this awful mask just so you can see an HP bar on enemies. Since Link has few attacks other than "hit the enemy with your sword" in WW, I can't imagine this thing is gonna make you choose your attacks more wisely.

Magic Armor/Cane of Byrna/Naryu's Love- Basically anything that makes you invincible not called the Magic Cape. I never use these things because they eat my magic/rupees faster than I'd care to deal with and I never get caught in a huge jam where my HP is draining fast. The Magic Cape gets bailed out by the instances where invisibility/transparency lets you pass over and through stuff I'd rather not deal with (bumpers/spikes/hardhat beetles) and therefore has more applications than the Cane of Byrna, which makes you equally invincible but still solid and prone to bumpers.

Posted

What about the cane you got while you were in the temple of time in Twilight Princess? All it did was let you posses certain statues, which, while certainly useful for that dungeon, was pretty useless outside of it. The only time you ever needed to use it was for very specific puzzles that happened outside of the dungeon, that essentially beat you over the head with the fact that yes, you need to use the cane here because there are statues for it everywhere. It made puzzle solving less fun and more tedious, since you knew the answer right off the bat, and had to take the time to do it.

On a different note, when are they going to add the fire wand from games like Four Swords into the 3D games? That's certainly a weapon I want to use. It would probably use magic power, sure, but you could still throw fireballs at your enemies, and probably use it as a club after it was out of juice or something.

Posted

Deku Nuts can be used for the first half of Ganon. Ganon, not Ganondorf. Cane of Byrna and Nayru's Love are great defense items.

Also, Ice Arrows(Ocarina of Time ones, obvs) and Giant's Knife are lol. Half of the masks in Majora's Mosque. The Shield in Four Swords. NEVER DO YOU USE IT. It's just there for those damn turtle things that love getting flipped by shields. Telescope, although, it being a present from Aryll, I can't agree with it whole-heartedly. Besides, you can see where squids are with it. Delivery Bag and the plants are eh. :/

This section is for Twilight Princess: Bomblings. Useless. Dominion Rod. Useless. Hawkeye. Useless. Horse Call. Useless. Spinner. Useless. Wow, lol, is that a total of five items?

Continuing on. Ope, no more. Maybe the opposite of useless items, but Phantom Hourglass just has a lack of items in total. Look at this, 9 items lol. 4 of them are automatically equipped. Oh, lol, Zeldawiki just sucks and is missing the Hammer and the Grappling Hook.

Anyway, Fool's Ore is pretty useless. Why do they even give you that? Can't even spend it.

I'd say we just go on to make this a thread about the most useful items or things they put in(like warping) in Zelda, but then I'd have to make this post 10x longer and I'm already tired from this.

Point is, Twilight Princess sucks.

Posted

Never used the shield in four swords? Did you ever play with any other players? The shield is your best friend when you're trying to kill each other, because it blocks all sword attacks, and arrows, and maybe even fire? I don't remember.

But Muffin wouldn't know that because he has no friends to play with.

Posted

Yeah, I try to keep TP out of mind. So many useless items. :(

Posted

Never used the shield in four swords? Did you ever play with any other players? The shield is your best friend when you're trying to kill each other, because it blocks all sword attacks, and arrows, and maybe even fire? I don't remember.

But Muffin wouldn't know that because he has no friends to play with.

The original Four Swords requires 2 or more players, not your shitty Four Swords Adventures. What a loser.

Posted

I remember the Cane of Pacci. Wehn I first got it and found out what it did, I thought, "That is the lamest item ever".

I would say probably the raft in the original Legend of Zelda. I can only think of one or two place where I actually used it.

Again, the stupid Dominion Rod in Twilight Princess. It also sounds more like something for S&M than a Zelda item.

I'd say the spinner too, but it was so much fun I refuse to discount it as useless.

The Ice Rod in Link to the Past was another thing I pretty much never used.

Deky nuts are pretty useless. the only time I really used them much was in Jabujabu's belly before I got the boomerang, since they were good for killing Baris, or whatever the electric jellyfish are called.

Bombchus are fun, but they do tend to be more expensive and complicated to use than regular bombs. I do remember my 'holy @#%&' reaction to the real bombchus in Majora's Mask, though.

I don't think I even wound up getting the Hero's Charm when I played through Windwaker. I really need to replay some of these games.

Posted

The telescope in WW was pretty useless. You use it once in the whole game and after that it doesn't do anything much.

Then again a lot of items in WW didn't do anything much. Like the hero's crests, the chu jelly, the plants, and pretty much everything in the delivery bag I never found a reason for... Like I'd show them to people and they did nothing.

Also how was the spinner useless? You used it to get around somewhere. I don't remember where, but still it wasn't useless.

Also a lot of the masks were pointless. Like the frog mask was maybe the most useless.

Posted

YLA, you had to put the delivery bag items in places around windfall island. And you had to show them to the gorons all across the game. If you do that enough, you get the magic armor.

I got some good usage out of the telescope when I needed to. Like, if I wanted to get a good show of something with the camera of something you could only find once in the game, I would use the telescope to make sure I got a good shot, then pull the camera out.

On the topic of game items that were not useful, I want to say the ball and chain was actually pretty useful. I mention it because I think a lot of people would be tempted to say it was bad? It was not bad. It was a choice weapon for killing redeads and big guys that weren't Dark nuts.

Posted

The ball and chain was far from useless, maybe the most applicable weapon in your whole inventory besides the bow and clawshots. It's so great at getting behind enemies killing them fast! The Cane of Pacci was terrible, but not quite as useless as some of these other items since you could get some interesting results flipping enemies over.

A lot of people also like to argue that the Ice Arrows in OOT are useless, but I like them too much to admit that. :D

Agencereurich likes this

Posted

Your shield in PH and ST you had to change your direction entirely just to block something making it tedious and unhelpful (unless there is actually a button to defend yourself which I have yet to find)

Posted

Totally old, but. I find the Magic Armor to be pretty useless. I'm a money-keeper kinna girl. And well, this cut scene is totally hilarious anyway.

Posted

Your shield in PH and ST you had to change your direction entirely just to block something making it tedious and unhelpful (unless there is actually a button to defend yourself which I have yet to find)

Spirit Tracks was an awesome game story/world-wise, but the gameplay for both it and PH sucked. Of course, I hate touch screen control in general. There were perfectly nice buttons that they could have used.

Posted

bottle adventure glitch what

Posted

I guess the shield is the most useless item for me? iunno I hardly use it unless it's like required to use mirror shield/flip enemies over. Every item I seem to use again and again lol, even the silly masks :>