Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First Year Art Final

34 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I realized that I'm an art major who's been a regular on this site for a while. Which is cool and all, but I never post anything. I realized this right about the time I was getting started on my art final, which is currently a WIP. I thought it would be a good idea to take progress photos as I go, and make a thread about it. It's due on monday, and I started about two weeks ago, so I've got about twenty five or so pics so far. As I'm typing this it's unfinished, but I'll post picture as I get them, and take a fancy finished shot (With my cellphone camera ha) when it's done.

The assignment was to find an article on the onion of our choice and draw it, in nupastel, on 30x40 BFK paper. It's just thicker, more textured paper than printer paper, and is better suited for pastels and charcoals and things. It's also got a tan tint. Lets all talk about all the different kinds of paper! Back out of that tangent, the article I chose was this one, about a monkey puppet that gets mauled by a dragon. Do I draw a monkey getting mauled by a dragon?! The only way I can post more pics is if people keep posting in this thread, so its up to you, the reader, to find out!!!!!

Also, I should mention my laptop camera, which is taking all these photos, takes them in mirror image. The final photo I upload will probably look backwards. I think it will be funny.

photoon20110423at2322.jpg

It looks blank, but its totally not blank. There are sketched lines on there, that I thought the camera would be able to pick up but not really.

photoon20110427at1616.jpg

Aaaaaaand I made that arm way too fat already.

photoon20110427at1733.jpg

I think it took me a while to notice how fat I made that arm.

photoon20110427at17532.jpg

Fillin' in more hand space.

photoon20110427at1754.jpg

Artists are idiots when they're not artists.

Posted

The upper hand looks odd to me so I'm really anxious to see the finished product.

Posted

Well its a good thing I'm still in here isn't it.

photoon20110429at2045.jpg

added more to the bottom arm.

photoon20110429at2231.jpg

And then added to the top one!

photoon20110429at2326.jpg

And then? I added just a little more to the top one, and took a picture of it anyways.

photoon20110430at1754.jpg

You know whats cool? Dropping your goddam pastels is cool. Like, you know how some people drop beats, or drop rhymes? Well I drop pastels. And I dont just drop them. I break them. I shatter them into tiny pieces. Pieces so small that they wont even go back in the box correctly even though you assemble them so that they just perfectly fit together, because whoever is in charge of physics has a vendetta against you, and the pieces you have left are just large enough to be useful yet just small enough to be dicks.

Get it? Small dicks? Pastels? Paste-ls? Pastey? Vampires? It was a really subtle shot at twilight.

photoon20110430at2209.jpg

And then I played with the arms, and I guess I realized by now that the arm was too fat.

I think I suck at art a lot less than I used too.

Posted

moreeee

Posted

I'd really like to see the finished product. It looks great so far.

Posted

Yeah I mean I was surprised when you said you were doing art because I'd never really seen much from you.

But this is great.

Posted

So Is that lady your hand model or something?

Posted

so srs face benjomans

Posted

Thanks guys. And no Knuckle, she's just another student. Everything I'm drawing in this, I'm doing from pictures I took on my own, for reference. I'll upload the reference photos later. Personally, I think it would be really hard for her to sit there and be a hand model for me, because the hands are in such an awkward and stressed position. I guess you can't really tell right now, but you'll see it better later.

so srs face benjomans

photoon20110430at2306.jpg

I think this is about the time when I decided the hands were good enough that I didn't need to work on them for a while. It's actually a really bad idea to single one part of your piece out from the rest of it and work on it to completion, but I haven't been allowed to draw hands in such vibrant colour like this all year. I was drunk with lust. Actually, there's a more practical reason why I did the hands first but I'll get into that later.

photoon20110502at1623.jpg

Gasp!

photoon20110504at1334.jpg

Here he is, sketching it in, filling it in, etc. It actually took me a while to get a good sketch for the dragon, and I went through a lot of different silhouette ideas. I don't think I'll be scanning my sketchbook just to show them though, so just know that there's a bunch of variations for this thing, and this is the final product.

photoon20110504at1430.jpg

Here he is filling it in even more. I actually probably should have not laid it on so thickly this time through, because it caused problems later on (I.E: Last night), but I still managed to make it look pretty good. Though really, I guess that's up to you guys to decide in the end.

photoon20110505at2119.jpg

aaaaaaaand he's making faces aga-- no wait.

Posted

From now on, you should just post your art. Instead of posting your opinions. Because your opinions are always wrong, but your art seems to be very right.

Just post art.

Posted

But Muffin

:C

photoon20110505at2328.jpg

All I did last night for six or so hours was work on they way that light cast onto the wall, and the way the shadow works with it.

photoon20110506at2029.jpg

Get the broom Phyllis, he's making faces again.

photoon20110506at22022.jpg

Actually I don't even know a Phyllis. That joke wasn't even that funny. Was it, perhaps... Tongue in cheek?

photoon20110506at2240.jpg

The joke was not tongue in cheek, and also the tongue in the photo is not in the cheek. That was the joke there if you didn't get it.

photoon20110506at2358.jpg

I spent a good while playing with the white on the shadow, trying to decide how much the shadow should fade at it's edges. No shadow is totally solid and dynamic unless you're holding one light source very close to the object casting the shadow, and the plane the shadow is cast onto is also very close to the object. The plane would also have to be pretty smooth, like polished granite or what have you. In this photo, the hands are roughly five or six feet from the wall, as evidenced by the shadow they cast. This is also taking place in a sort of a bedroom/playroom environment, so that's going to be drywall, which is not perfectly flat, either. I think I've got a good amount of fade in the corners of the shadow, but I'm not too sure. It looks like it's working pretty well though, so I don't think I'll change it unless a shadow expert points out that there's something glaringly wrong with it.

I also need to get rid of the unnatural glow coming off of the hands, there. That's a result of me being very cautious of putting very dark charcoal next to very vibrant hands (Which I think stand out quite nicely?), and Instead of using nupastel to fill those in, I'll go in with sharpened, pointy coloured pencils for extra care. I've seen other students get away with that in this kind of situation, and I think if anyone notices (I doubt they'll even notice unless they know exactly where to look and what to look for), they probably won't care.

Also, I realize I haven't mentioned what exactly is going on in this piece. That's because I want to see how long it will take for someone to understand just whats happening. Feel free to say it if you know it.

You know, I thought it would take me a lot longer to get through all these progress photos, but I'm already down to one left, being the most developed and practically finalized version of that wall so far.

Posted

I am in love with the hands. they are so beautiful ;_;

I'm also biased because I love anatomical art so

but eeee can't wait for the final product. this is super super cool ben

Posted

Alright, so I ran out of progress shots a lot faster than I thought I would, and this is the most recent shot I have. It's just the wall, almost completely finished. I say almost because I'm likely to go back and change things. I Don't know if the dark top corners are dark enough, so maybe that, if I have time. But, here it is.

photoon20110507at0033.jpg

I think since I'm out of photos, now would be a good time to show you some reference photos I took? Here's the picture of my hands I chose to work from, from the set of reference photos I took. The whole thing with the blue arm and the pink palm, that was pretty fortunate. I'm not sure why the camera took the photo that way, but it really makes for a pretty interesting colour pallet (More on that below). You can't really tell because of the distance I've been taking the pictures at, but the top arm has a lot of pink in it.

photoon20110423at1751.jpg

photoon20110422at2040.jpg

Then there's the reference shot for the shadow I made. All I did was cut out a sketch of a silhouette I did, and take a photo of the shadow Nothing to particularly fancy, but it still makes me raise questions about whether or not I'm doing the shadow right. In this photo It fades into the color of the wall, but in mine I purposely fade it into the darker parts that aren't illuminated by the spotlight, for sinister effect. I think it works pretty well for that, but I'm not sure.

photoon20110422at18223.jpg

Then there's the shelf. I actually got really lucky finding this thing. On the night I delegated to going out and finding reference photos all over my campus as opposed to just getting them online (Which in retrospect, I strongly recommend doing. Get your own photos), I walked for about three hours, looking through different buildings for lounge areas that would have a picture of a chest of drawers you might find in a playroom kind of place. I was just looking for something nice and remotely ornamental, but this was the jackpot. Not only is it loaded with boardgames which will only increase the atmosphere of the piece tenfold, but all the boardgames in the photo generally follow the colour pallet I set out to follow.

The thing about this colour pallet I keep mentioning is pretty simple, even if you don't understand why it's important. See, the hands that I took a photo of, as I mentioned, came out with some pretty crazy colours. The palm being red, pink, and purple is acceptable, and generally expected when you look at a coloured picture of someone, but having that all against a really really blue arm is pretty contrary. I looked at the other shots, and saw that they incorporated blue and red very often, too. So instead of getting rid of the blue on the arm entirely, I just decided i would use blue and red in more places. That meant using blue as a shading option on top of the tan drywall and inherent black and white you would expect, but as you can see above, that didn't necessarily turn into a problem.

So I'm gonna go to the art building now, and make it a point to take at least five shots so I can have something to post later. Here's an example of what I'll be working on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38b7ygQ4FY

Posted

Can I just say

I am in love with those arms

Posted

Wow~! This is pretty coolies pheonix! It's looking great so far, eagerly awaiting a glance of the finished pictureeee :>

...gosh your phone camera is way better quality than mine :c