Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Magic Meter

7 posts in this topic

Posted

One of the more common mechanics in The Legend of Zelda series is the magic meter that gauges Link's magic power and allows him to use magical weapons and spells. The meter originated in The Adventure of Link and has been in most of the 3D Zelda games and A Link to the Past. However, I'm starting to see a growing number of games scrapping the meter, and for that matter, a lot of the interesting items that relied on it (magic arrows, attacking spells like Din's Fire and Bombos Medalion, etc.) are being removed from the series. I'm sure everyone knows about the scrapped magic meter from Twilight Princess, and I haven't seen any news about whether the magic meter will return in Skyward Sword, so I'm starting to worry that the meter is going to disappear from Zelda games forever.

So what do you guys think about this? Do you think the magic meter and the items associated with it are worth bringing back, or is it a matter of little importance? I personally like the magic arrows way too much to see them disappear, and I'd love to see spells make a comeback, but that's just me.

Posted

Knuckle why aren't you the zelda moderator yet

I mean people come in here with really stupid ideas

Why haven't you been designated to operate this part of the forum

Anyways, I doubt they would scrap the meter. I can't particularly remember very well if that was done for Spirit tracks, but I don't think they would do it for Skyward Sword. It seems like doing that would not only cut off a lot of the weapons they had in the game, but also cripple the list of items they could include.

Though, I can see it working as a story sense? I don't think in terms of timeline magic was able to be used by link until Zelda 2, and since this is happening before all of them, maybe something happens as a part of the plot? I'm not saying I agree with the idea, though. If anything, he'd probably be more likely to use magic often now that he's a cloud dweller thing.

Posted

The last main game it was in was Win Waker, I think.

But, Skyward sword WILL have a version of it, as seen in the GDC trailer. It has a shield next t it, and no one knows what it's used for.

But I honestly loved it. Nowadays they just rely on Zelda to use the Light Arrows for the past 3 games (WW, TP, ST).

Posted

No, not that one. The new one under the heart meter.

Posted

Knuckle why aren't you the zelda moderator yet

I mean people come in here with really stupid ideas

Why haven't you been designated to operate this part of the forum

Anyways, I doubt they would scrap the meter. I can't particularly remember very well if that was done for Spirit tracks, but I don't think they would do it for Skyward Sword. It seems like doing that would not only cut off a lot of the weapons they had in the game, but also cripple the list of items they could include.

Though, I can see it working as a story sense? I don't think in terms of timeline magic was able to be used by link until Zelda 2, and since this is happening before all of them, maybe something happens as a part of the plot? I'm not saying I agree with the idea, though. If anything, he'd probably be more likely to use magic often now that he's a cloud dweller thing.

I'd love to be moderator if Kimmy or Sahaqiel would let me (dunno if its actually his call or not though); I have all the plans for this section of the forum. All of them. :D

Anyway, I'm surprised I missed the magic meter in the Skyward Sword Trailer so easily; I should cross my fingers and hope it stays in the final version of the game this time. :lol:

Posted

Oh, I hope they keep the magic meter in Skyward Sword. It's so much fun doing magicky stuff :<

Herp Derp I didn't know TP had a magic meter planned. Whyyyyy did they remove ittttt so mean ):

Also there was no magic meter in Spirit Tracks if I remember righttt?

Posted

Unfortunately the magic meter hasn't been used since Wind Waker. It's been missing for five games now.