Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

You are adopted and that's terrible

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Portal 2 Finds a unique way to offend. "Did you hear that? A Character in a popular kid's video game is actually taunted for not having parents."

What could one possibly find offensive about the critically lauded Portal 2, an inventive, all ages-friendly game? Are those turrets too violent? Is the jazz too smooth? No, it's the jokes about adoption that have one Portal fan (and one local news team) riled up.

So says a report today from Charlotte, North Carolina's CBS affiliate WBTV (which, by the way, may contain spoilers for Portal 2 players). Neal Stapel, adoptive father to Zoey, a Chinese orphan, says he was upset with the barbs slung by Portal 2's antagonists, insults that belittle the playable Chell for her (alleged) adopted status. Morons and the overweight are also mocked by robots.

In Portal 2, Chell's arch-nemeses tease her for her non-existent weight gain and her lack of birth parents, puerile, bullying taunts that offer color into their respective characters. But the jabs at her being adopted were too much for Stapel.

"It literally pokes fun for not having parents," he says, seeming to choke up in WBTV's news broadcast. He played the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 with his kids, but stopped when the adoption jokes kicked in. "It throws the ultimate question that that child is ever going to have for you... and it just throws it right in the living room."

Yes, it's got to be a bit awkward for adoptive parents if they're experiencing this in front of their non-biological kids, but Chell's enemies are also trying to kill her, which I'd find much more upsetting if I were her. But, hey, I wasn't adopted and can't personally relate to the conflicting emotions of such a situation.

Kotaku reached out to Valve to see if they had any comment on the matter, though they didn't before this story aired, reportedly.

This just makes me want to get the game even more.

Posted

Lol someone posted this on facebook.

It really is insentivity like the guy at the start says.

WE LOVE OUR DAUGHTER SO MUCH

BE ON OUR SIDE

IF YOU'RE NOT ON OUR SIDE YOU HATE OUR DAUGHTER

Posted

So a mean character says mean things. This is offensive, and everyone involved should be thrown into the emergency intelligence incinerators and BURN!

Posted

You mean you haven't gotten it?

What are you doing with your life, Pheonix.

I should just spoil it for you.

Posted

"kid's game"

Well alright.

Posted

So I just finished this game and got to that moment in the game, and they took this moment entirely out of context. Local news saves the day again.

Posted

It's EVIL.

The robot is out to KILL the main character.

IT'S SUPPOSED TO SAY SHIT LIKE THAT.

GODDAMN BUTTHURT PEOPLE.

Posted

we both beat it fort and it was awesome

you fatty fatty no parents!

Posted

There used to be something totally not needing editing here because no one would've gotten it... It was one word.

However, because t1g likes to whine like a little brat, it is being removed and replaced by something else.

WARNING: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION SPOILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=munuk5sS5Ro

I warned you. You can't blame me if you push the button.

Don't push the button.

Posted

you know it is a good thing i misheard you when you told me that because you were being a total bitch by attempting to spoil one of the biggest plot elements for me

seriously what the puppy that wasn't funny trying to do that after i stated how much i didn't want spoilers

in fact puppying delete/edit your post i don't want the game spoiled for anyone

Posted

By the way, t1g aren't you spoiling one of the lines in an above post.

Really, I say one word which wouldn't make any sense whatsoever and you flip a shit about it.

Posted

you tried to puppying spoil a major plot arc by "only giving the name of something"

and no in my case it isn't the same because look at the first post in this thread

quoting a minor line in context of a thread about the line and spoiling one of the bigger plot twists are two different things

Posted

Why does this make me think of Strawberry Death Punch for some reason.

Posted

Because if he was adopted he'd never let us forget it. Because that's the kind of woe is me person he is.

Posted

It's not even an official name. Hell, no one even talks about it in the game. Y u so butthurt t1g.

The world is on his back, gaiz.