Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0:

Had a BONES ending. I saw it coming from a mile away and it was dumb. Also, the main antagonist was gravity. Literally almost every tension scene had them running away from something that was falling.

BONES has pretty animation and everything, but I felt that the characters were sort of bland and the story was kind of bland and the ending was pretty bland too. Like I said, they take all the established things in the series and throw them out the window and introduce something randomly into the end scenes. Like the existence of ghosts. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was based on an interesting concept (as most BONES series are) but I felt like it failed to follow through with being interesting and ended up just being kind of boring. I mean sure I kind of cared when they were almost being crushed by a filing cabinet, or a building, or the Tokyo Tower, but nothing was really quite memorable or particularly interesting to watch. I can't even tell you how exasperated I was when they started going into the whole "he was dead the whole time" ending. It kind of cemented in that BONES tries way too hard to be M. Night Shyamalan. Because they do, and it's annoying because M. Night Shyamalan is annoying. At least he has twists that are based on preconcieved notions and elements in the plot. BONES just pulls it out of thin air.

It seems like BONES works tend to have really good... SKELETONS... their framework, like the setting, story elements, and characters, tend to be pretty sturdy... but they fail to FLESH OUT anything and the whole work just seems hollow.

not raining on your parade or anything

at least, I don't want to

I gave it like, a 6/10.

Posted

I'm going to start Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 when I finish Oofuri, I have it downloaded and ready so I'm kinda excited.

Posted

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0:

Had a BONES ending. I saw it coming from a mile away and it was dumb. Also, the main antagonist was gravity. Literally almost every tension scene had them running away from something that was falling.

BONES has pretty animation and everything, but I felt that the characters were sort of bland and the story was kind of bland and the ending was pretty bland too. Like I said, they take all the established things in the series and throw them out the window and introduce something randomly into the end scenes. Like the existence of ghosts. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was based on an interesting concept (as most BONES series are) but I felt like it failed to follow through with being interesting and ended up just being kind of boring. I mean sure I kind of cared when they were almost being crushed by a filing cabinet, or a building, or the Tokyo Tower, but nothing was really quite memorable or particularly interesting to watch. I can't even tell you how exasperated I was when they started going into the whole "he was dead the whole time" ending. It kind of cemented in that BONES tries way too hard to be M. Night Shyamalan. Because they do, and it's annoying because M. Night Shyamalan is annoying. At least he has twists that are based on preconcieved notions and elements in the plot. BONES just pulls it out of thin air.

It seems like BONES works tend to have really good... SKELETONS... their framework, like the setting, story elements, and characters, tend to be pretty sturdy... but they fail to FLESH OUT anything and the whole work just seems hollow.

not raining on your parade or anything

at least, I don't want to

I gave it like, a 6/10.

I thought the 'he was dead the whole time' thing was good. Could have been done better, but I at least didn't see it coming until they got to the elementary school. To me, the way she briefly saw him in the window was the first sign, though I suppose the first sign should have been that he got on the truck with his backpack, and then the woman whoever she was came running out with it after they left, but I didn't notice that. Between then and when he died, she had carried his bag for him, which was a believable way around the problem of how they transport his bag. I never noticed the woman not talking to the boy though between times, probably just because I wasn't thinking to look out for that.

And yeah, main antagonist was gravity. And fire. And tidal waves. Those last two never really affected the main characters that much though. I'd hoped for things like looters or whatever, but I don't see how they would have come into contact with them. And besides, everything seemed pretty organised, and the emergency services seemed to have it well under control. Not very chaotic, so I don't imagine looting or rioting would have been a big problem. There were small riots, people pushing in panic. I think the situation was fairly realistic, so I don't know how you can complain about it being boring if it was pretty much designed to be realistic, and therefore not much else besides what they put in.

I do agree that it did drag at times though. And the reveal of the little brother being dead all along took too long, since for me I thought it for about 2 minutes, before he disappeared from the classroom, and that solidified it for me. But I think the way it was all drawn out like that makes sense. The woman never told her that he was dead all along, because she didn't have the heart, and so she had no reason no to imagine he was still there. But once more people are around, and they also are trying to talk to him, that's when things start to seem off, because they wouldn't be able to. Before that, nobody had had to interact with him. And the way it was drawn out from it becoming clear, to her fully realising it herself dragged on a bit, but I suppose that it would be hard for you to accept that sort of thing. And no, he wasn't a ghost. That's stupid. She was just in denial, and it's not unlikely that all the grief and horror of the situation would result in her imaging him. She knew him well, and he did nothing unexpected, acting like himself, so it'd all be from her mind.

Did you honestly think they were implying he was a ghost?

Posted

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

I don't remember the series 100%, but I think they implied ghost somewhere in there. Like, he moved something maybe. Who knows. I noticed that no one was talking to him so I was just progressively more and more like "no... no, they didn't... they can't have...."

I am okay with things that drag and make a point of some sort, but it's still the fact that they dragged it out that makes it a negative. It's not a big negative, just something that annoyed me.

But yeah, looters might have made the series better. Also, when that building was on fire, it was also at risk of collapsing, I think. Or something fell on someone, or in someone's way. So gravity still wins.

I think my main qualm with the actual antagonist of gravity and other physics related happenings is that you get a sense of realism from peoples' reactions and everything, yeah, and I thought that was cool. But then they throw all that out the window and have completely unbelievable situations in which the forces of nature appear as if they are literally trying to murder two or three specific people. It would be alright if it happened like once, but this was the main antagonist. It pulled me out of the realism and awkwardly switched into supernatural murder mode. Then ghosts or hallucinations or whatever. Looters attacking the protagonists would have been more believable and would cement the realism more. I just felt like the series didn't know exactly what to do with its themes. It didn't tell a story about human nature, and it didn't push being brave in the face of adversity very hard. I didn't even feel like there was a moral that you shouldn't take things for granted, because they might be lost in impending tragedy. Or maybe I just don't remember that part.

Posted

I don't really remember there being a moral or anything either. I think it was just one of those things that wanted to tell a story for the sake of telling a story, rather than to make a point. Although with the setting they could have made a great many points. They just didn't really push any of the points, and sort of made it as if they didn't notice that they could have made a point at a certain place. Felt like just a story they wanted to make, and have people enjoy what they're watching, but I agree that you don't really come away with anything to think about.

Posted

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Stories for the sake of being stories are cool and all, but it really seemed like there was supposed to be a message in there somewhere, and that was one of the disappointing factors, I think. It just seemed all mixed up and random. I won't complain about BONES anymore during this conversation, but that tends to be how most things work with them.

Posted

Chimetals

Sxf4x.png

6KszS.png

Posted

I took Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop off hold on MAL. I'll be watching NGE with my friend (so it'll be a slower process) and Cowboy Bebop I'll breeze through.

Hoping to finish both before the end of the Summer and before I head off to Uni.

(Btw how's it been hangin' around here?)

Posted

Chimetals

Sxf4x.png

6KszS.png

Chimetals

Posted

t1g it was fine without you reposting it. I already said Chimetals, you didn't need to repeat it. Seeing my post put next to your horrible signature just makes it look that little bit cheaper.

Also yeah Shichika is a good character and yes I do mean to tell you that I haven't posted anything with him in it. Scandal.

Probably because he doesn't say many incredibly interesting things, or the animation isn't particularly flashy to make me want to make anything out of it. The animation's good, but there's never really anything I want to make a gif out of.

Also do change your avatar (and signature (if only to remove the jintai gif)). Everything about your online persona here is absolutely horrible. You're like someone who doesn't wash. And no, I'm not being all jokey in a serious way. The way you present yourself just really overshadows whatever good qualities you might have. Again, like someone who doesn't wash themselves, you might be a really nice guy, but I can't ignore the dried vomit all on your face, or the strong smell of sweat coming off of you. I don't want to look at you or be around you. You're just a mess.

Posted

yeah it was about time someone complained about the signature

Posted

Have you not seen the forums before

Posted

nope

Posted

Just change your avatar. I'm only posting because your lack of an avatar was annoying me on the board.

Posted

SEE IT ISN'T JUST ME WHO iS ANNOYED BY YOUR BROKEN AVATAR TIGGLES ):< fix it plz pls plz pls