Discuss Anime and Mang

7276 posts in this topic

Posted

My favourite part was the unconventional ending. Always tend to enjoy a movie more if there's a bittersweet ending.

And no, not to say I don't like happy endings. Only Yesterday makes me so happy, watching the end over and over. Pom Poko's ending doesn't make me feel happier. It just makes me feel more.

makes sense

Arrietty from the bug's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdM6NdcEKh0

make sure annotations are on okay

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted

Oh yeah, my account was terminated because of that video. Silly of me really.

Just embarked on a 30 day Ghibli challenge on tumblr, for the sole purpose of getting to the favourite movie question and just laying down the law in regards to Pom Poko. I'm kind of riled up about it right now. I don't usually get so fierce with my beliefs, but someone insulting Pom Poko is like if someone slapped my sister in the face. I would shank them in the neck without hesitation.

Posted

terminated your account?

Posted

As in, Youtube deleted my account. Or "terminated" as they told me in the message I got when I tried to sign in. So all my videos are gone as well. So I'm no longer Bathykol on Youtube, I'm Tetokol.

Anyway, here's the challenge I mentioned:

• First Studio Ghibli movie?
  • Favorite Studio Ghibli movie and why?
  • Least favorite Studio Ghibli movie and why?
  • Favorite female main character and why?
  • Favorite male main character and why?
  • Least favorite character and why?
  • Studio Ghibli movie(s) you haven’t seen?
  • Favorite Director?
  • Favorite ‘bad guy’ and why?
  • Favorite secondary character and why?
  • Favorite animal?
  • Favorite spirit creature?
  • Favorite pairing?
  • Favorite song?
  • Favorite moment?
  • Favorite piece of fan art?
  • Favorite quote?
  • Which world(movie) would you like to live in?
  • Last Studio Ghibli movie you saw?
  • Saddest moment?
  • Funniest moment?
  • Favorite Studio Ghibli cosplay?
  • Studio Ghibli movies that you own?
  • If you had never seen any Studio Ghibli movies would your life be any different?
  • Least favorite couple?
  • Favorite fan inspired couple?
  • Character you identify with most?
  • Favorite Studio Ghibli short film?
  • What movie would you recommend to someone who has never seen a Studio Ghibli Film?
  • What movie would you love to see a sequel for?

Planning my answers in advance. I'm not quite there yet though, for example I don't think I've watched any short films. Iblard Jikan I want, but I'm finding it hard to get a hold of. I have 28 days to get that under control.

Here are my answers so far anyway:

1. My Neighbour Totoro

2. Pom Poko

3. Tales from Earthsea

4. Haru (The Cat Returns)

5. Marco Pagot/Porco Rosso

6. Haru (Arrietty)

7. Ocean Waves

8. Isao Takahata

9. Donald Curtis

10. Fujimoto (Ponyo)

11. Fox squirrel Teto, for whom I am named

12. Totoro

13. Taeko and Toshio (Only Yesterday)

15. When the tanuki desperately try to rebuilt the forest in their "last hurrah", music above

16. /

17. /

18. The cat kingdom.

19. Arrietty, watched on DVD with a friend.

20. Either the funeral scene of Grave of the Fireflies or the last hurrah of Pom Poko.

21. /

22. /

23. Nausicaa of the Valle of the Wind, The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Spirited Away, Only Yesterday, Tales from Earthsea, Ponyo, and Arrietty.

24. /

25. Kiki and Tombo

26. /

27. Haru (The Cat Returns)

28. /

29. Howl's Moving Castle

30. Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle and Arrietty (already have novel squels), and Kiki's Delivery Service. All of which I feel like they could be coninuted. They were wrapped up fairly well, but the way the characters live pretty much ensures there would be further adventuring to be had.

Posted

Still need to see Arrietty. But yeah, both Howl's Moving Castle and The Borrowers have book sequels that could be adapted. Or Ghibli could do their own thing, and while I generally frown on that I'd trust Ghibli to pull it off better than most studios.

Posted

I think the only thing that irritates me about Ghibli movies is when the fandom just calls it a Miyazaki movie.

I understand that Miyazaki is a well-respected guy for what he does, but its not like people call Pixar movies John Lassetor movies. Studio Ghibli makes the movies, some of them Hayao hasn't even worked on as a Director, and everyone's always like 'Omg Miyazaki did a great job again, what a great Miyazaki movie.'

Bugs me.

Also chapter 2 of E7 AO released; a lot better than chapter 1. Good, good chapter. I love Gazelle and (surprisingly) Ao. 'Thought I'd hate Ao initially, so I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Teto likes this

Posted

Watching Arrietty leads me to need to watch Summer Wars. Also, you should've seen the fit my roommates+2 had about the ending.

Posted

I think the only thing that irritates me about Ghibli movies is when the fandom just calls it a Miyazaki movie.

I understand that Miyazaki is a well-respected guy for what he does, but its not like people call Pixar movies John Lassetor movies. Studio Ghibli makes the movies, some of them Hayao hasn't even worked on as a Director, and everyone's always like 'Omg Miyazaki did a great job again, what a great Miyazaki movie.'

Bugs me.

Are we thinking about the same tumblr post? Because that guy actually replied to me, and compared it to how Time Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't directed by Tim Burton, but it's still referred to as his. Since he produced it. I didn't actually consider until afterwards that Miyazaki didn't produce Arrietty so it's not really comparable.

But it's the studio and it's Miyazaki's studio so it's okay!! Well that would be if it wasn't also Isao Takahata's studio.

And then I guess there's the fact that people will more easily recognise it if you say it's a Miyazaki movie. It's whimsical, I guess it's a Miyazaki movie!! If the movie mood fits, it's a Miyazaki movie. Not all Ghibli movies would be referred to as Miyazaki movies. Grave of the Fireflies as a "Miyazaki movie" gives off the wrong impression.

Miyazaki movie is really just a way to get people interested, in the same way as "the studio that brought you Spirited Away and Ponyo". Whatever.

I guess people just like to be wrong for the sake of convenience.

Also, downloading Pom Poko so that I can upload the "last hurrah" scene. I'll litter my video description with NOT MINE NOT MINE.

I'll do my usual thing (when I bother) of covering my ass and saying "This movie is property of Studio Ghibli pretty much. I do not own the movie I do not own the studio I am not the director and I don't own him either. I am not the mother or father of anybody who worked on this movie, and I am not one of them. Nothing about this video is mine, only the channel it's connected to."

Posted

there was this thing with arrietty that we just couldn't figure out

what country were they in?!?!?!

Posted

there was this thing with arrietty that we just couldn't figure out

what country were they in?!?!?!

Book's author is English so it could be the English countryside, but the house was definitely still like other Japanese houses in Ghibli movies. So maybe it's just some bastard mix of descriptions from the book and changes made for Japanese audiences?

I could totally relate to the situation where Haru is pissed off about the exterminators getting lost. That little exchange on the phone is one of the smaller parts I remember. One of my friends has a house in the country, and to get there you have to take an odd route out of the town, then you follow off the main road into single track roads, and then you branch off into different single track roads until you finally get to this isolated little house surrounded by fields. Haru's impatience as she's calling them idiots for not being able to follow the directions therefore feels totally dickish to me. I know that feel exterminators. I also know how difficult it is to give directions though so yeah.

Posted

Did they keep the original names in the UK dub or did you watch the sub?

Disney's dub had Sho as Shawn and Haru as Hara. I'm pretty sure the other old woman had a different name, too. I didn't really care (because I saw it in English first) but it'd be interesting if the UK dub kept to the originals closer.

Posted

I don't know. I don't recall Sho being Shawn or Haru being Hara, but I don't usually remember the names of characters very easily anwyay. I had to look up Haru on Wikipedia.

Just checked the DVD box though, and it does call him Sho.

I didn't actually know until you mentioned it that there was a separate UK dub. I wonder if Sho/Shawn's voice is any better in the American dub.

Posted

it was ok, but i wasnt a fan of his voice acting

Posted

The guy who voices Sho is also Bo from Spirited Away and Markl from Howl's Moving Castle. I thought that was pretty cool.

Posted

*shos japanese voice.

they changed his name? america, i thought we were over this. i thought we were done calling onigiri jelly dounuts, and shortening names like kiyomaro into just kiyo and the like. hell, changing it to "shawn" made it longer, even. (letter-wise) btw his english voice is the kid from "how i met your mother". you know, the one on the couch that shows up every ten episodes or so just to do a shocked expression.