Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nintendo's stock drops after Wiiu debut

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, won't be released until 2012, but the stock market didn't wait to give an early review. Nintendo's stock dropped more than 5% to 16,970 yen (or $212.44) per share after the company announced the Wii U at its E3 press conference yesterday, reports the Associated Press. Analysts' primary fear is that the Wii U, whose main selling point is a tablet-style controller with a 6.2" touchscreen, will struggle to compete with smartphones, tablets, and other general interest handheld devices.

More after the jump.

Personally, I think this is funny. They're comparing the new Wiiu to the Ipad.

On a different note, how often do you find three vowels next to each other?

Posted

Amesoeurs

Posted

consecutive_vowels.png

And stock almost always drops after big announcements. And whoever designed the trailers for Nintendo's E3 conference this year deserves to be fired.

Posted

Onomatopoeia

four, biznitches

Posted

Bossiaeeae.

Posted

consecutive_vowels.png

Hahaha I totally thought of that too.

Posted

Gl nintendo. Remember what happened last time you clusterpuppyed with graphics and controls? Good luck existing for another 5 years.

Posted

Gl nintendo. Remember what happened last time you clusterpuppyed with graphics and controls? Good luck existing for another 5 years.

They curb-stomped the competition? What's your point?

Also, how are they "clusterpuppying" with graphics? Did you see their tech demos?

Anyways, according to THQ, the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3. However, the XBox 720 and PS4 will probably be more powerful than the Wii U.

Posted

I saw what portion of the video would load because of my computers flash issues, and it did not impress.

Posted

I just don't want Nintendo to lose 3rd party support.

Sure, they're fine right now because their new console is similar enough to the PS3/360 to get ports and new games, but what about the future? Obviously the PS4 and the new Xbox will be more powerful than the Wii U, so will 3rd party support drop off again and leave Nintendo with only ports of last-gen games? I've already played the games on the PS3. Why would I want to replay them on the Wii U? Added touchscreen support? Please.

It just baffles me how many bad decisions these multi-million dollar companies make. The Wii was a good idea, financially, because it tapped into the entire casual market, which is grossly overpowering the hardcore market (which is why we see so many casual iphone games, playstation move, kinect, etc). It was kind of a risk, but it worked. Through the whole process, though, Nintendo lost a ton of its hardcore crowd. Now, they run the risk of losing both the casual audience, due to this new, somewhat unique and (possibly) expensive console, and not gaining the hardcore crowd back, due to the odd controller and ports of old games. It's just a really strange position for them to be in.

Financial success with the Wii U relies solely on the basis that the casual audience that lined up to buy a Wii will do the same with a Wii U. They could get by without the support of the hardcore crowd, but ideally they're shooting for both, and (I hope I'm wrong here) I think they're actually alienating both crowds, which is nothing short of a financial disaster. Only time will tell, though. I think they're really banking on the fact that every hardcore player wants to buy a console just so they can play Zelda in HD. And they're probably right, in that respect.

Posted

i wish theyd hold out long enough to have competitive graphics....they go for the early lead, then get creamed when people see how shiny the ps3 and 360 graphics are....

Posted

137830_700b.jpg

Hard to say. I'm holding off until I play the console and see what games are offered. Nintendo did make a smart move by sending demo versions to tons of 3rd party developers this time (even though it made for a lot of leaks). Still, something tells me the next generation won't be as good for Nintendo.