Chimetals: The Art Thread

239 posts in this topic

Posted

But Sayuri, I thought YOU of all people would understand that life is just one big art class, and we have to be prepared for essays of criticism at anytime, anyday.

But really I like your Pheo Drawing Chimetals :3c such a grumpy bear abloobloo

???

I don't... understand...

Why me of all people?

Posted

@pheo/saha

Obata Takeshi.

Posted

Well, that's kind of contradictory, lol. "Average human proportions" is actually kind of pretty specific, falling within a range you actually defined with numbers with a margin of .5. I think it's dumb that you would consider the proportions bad if the artist in question wasn't even going for those proportions. She wants giraffe necks? So be it.

On the subject of anime, you also generalized that, and there are animu with more realistic proportions. Anime isn't great for mapping every detail of the human body, but the proportional rules still apply for various styles.

Sahaqiel

Or y'know, maybe... just maybe.... she decided your internet persona had a long neck. Like, your vertebrae are mutantly longer than most.

(proportions... my feet killed them)

@pheo/saha

Obata Takeshi.

Posted

I know this was pages ago, but I'm just gonna point out that the 'harp' is actually a weaving loom, since the Arachne from mythology was a weaver before Athena turned her into the first spider. Admittedly I don't use a loom apart from the one for my beading projects, but I can call it a metaphor for creativity and stuff.

It's good to keep some sense of proportion in mind when drawing, but I have no problem skewing with proportions for stylistic purposes as long as it's intentional. That said, I think Bratz-sized heads usually look stupid.

Posted

Well, that's kind of contradictory, lol. "Average human proportions" is actually kind of pretty specific, falling within a range you actually defined with numbers with a margin of .5. I think it's dumb that you would consider the proportions bad if the artist in question wasn't even going for those proportions. She wants giraffe necks? So be it.

On the subject of anime, you also generalized that, and there are animu with more realistic proportions. Anime isn't great for mapping every detail of the human body, but the proportional rules still apply for various styles.

Sahaqiel

On the topic of anime, my point wasn't that all anime had giant eyes compared to the rest of the faces. We all know that's not the case. My point on anatomy also wasn't "everyone falls into this skeleton, verbatim"; I took a moment to point out Sayuri was an exception, and it turned out she strayed even more from that average than I projected. Yes, average is a very specific number, because it's just that. The average of all human bodies.

Fine if she wants giraffe necks, that wasn't the point of my post. I'm all for warping proportions, and it's not exactly an uncommon practice. It got really popular among italian painters during the Renaissance, with it's own style that later became known as mannerism.

Parmigianino_003b.jpg

This is a painting called "Madonna with the long neck." I chose this one to compare for obvious reasons, and I wont even begin to go into how incorrect it is, even and especially compared to Chimetals's. If it doesn't immediately horrify you, just try picturing her giving birth to that thing.

Even if she decides she wants to have giraffe necks, she still has to solve her problem of the size of a torso. Because she measured the arms against the torso size, that leaves the arms at such a strange size, too. Then there's how long her thighs are.

I mentioned anime and proportions because Chimetals is drawing anime in a way that everyone I know that does art immediately advises against: By jumping directly into it. If you jump right into any kind of surrealism or iconography without learning to draw from observation, or if you want to draw people without first sitting down and drawing them right in front of you, you will always have trouble getting it right. And if you don't learn, you will always be able to tell if they changed the size of something on accident or on purpose.

Posted

that "infant" has the body of an eight-year-old child aaaaa

I mentioned anime and proportions because Chimetals is drawing anime in a way that everyone I know that does art immediately advises against: By jumping directly into it. If you jump right into any kind of surrealism or iconography without learning to draw from observation, or if you want to draw people without first sitting down and drawing them right in front of you, you will always have trouble getting it right. And if you don't learn, you will always be able to tell if they changed the size of something on accident or on purpose.

like i didnt take four years of art, bro :<

and its not like i suddenly started drawing anime this year, or anything insane like that. ive basically been at this since grade school, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking. the bratz doll-looking chibis? i /literally/ cant do them anymore. not that i want to, but still. i exaggerate stuff, but those chibis are so out-there in their deformities that i /cannot/ draw them. (it doesnt help that i cant figure out where their necks are, either. like, so shorrrrrt.) and yet around fifth grade, thats /all/ i could draw.

i forgot about my thighs/legs in general, but they also didnt use to be that long. i dont even remember what series that started with (most of my exaggerations can be tied to some series, somewhere) though i suspect fruits basket.

also forgot that the torso was purposefully shrunk for the cartoony look. did you backread any? ill have to post some other pictures, esp of one character whos proportions you might like better.

Posted

I just, uh

Thought that this might be helpful :(

UNDERSTANDING_YOUR_STYLE___2_by_whitetrashpalace.jpg

CaptinBenny likes this

Posted

> anime cartoonism lacks facial definition

2092362325_2e0c2e877c_o.jpg

I'm not saying that you don't have to actually try and take drawing classes in order for more attractive styles, because without pulling from a large pool of them, your own style becomes less defined and shaky, and likelier to become less consistent, which I think is really important in artwork. Consistently, the only things that I think actually look bad are things that aren't consistent. If styles clash without meaning to, or if a character looks almost completely different at one angle than they do another, then it just grates on my eyes. It's like two clashing keys in music, or if one of the instruments is off by just a fraction of a beat. Unless it's intentional and done in a way that makes it seem professional and dignified, then it just sounds awful.

That being said, I know there are people who have a consistent style that is generally agreed upon to be awful. With these kinds of things, I just think it's an issue with style, or lack thereof. I like to think that these kinds of things could be considered to be good if society wasn't so close minded, or if society had developed differently. It annoys me that so many people view good art as recreating, rather than creating. It's like, you have this medium that can take off in any direction you want, and you go with the one that we see every day of our lives. It's boring and pompous to adhere to realism, I think. idk. It just gets on my nerves.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Sahqiel

lol

Anyways, I know what you mean, and I'm not saying she has to adhere to realism, or to anything, for that matter. That's what we have abstract(Read: everything that doesn't fall into a category) for. I say all this because I think Chimetals needs to improve her idea of a figure before she can warp it. It will make all the difference.

Posted

@LL

about the art classes, i grew up doing the most /boring/ art classes everrrrrrr

then i got to high school, and my new art teacher was all "were doing /art/ here, not that arts and crafts crap youve been doing this whole time. im gonna give you guys an assignment, and i expect a different 'answer' from every one of you. and thats how it /should/ be"

i almost dont wanna take another art class, as theyll probably teach me the crap method of coloring (white as highlights, black as shadow, rather than three different colors over a range--which makes /much/ more vivid colors) and be stiff sticks in the mud.

my high school was basically an art high school. there was a local art contest in the area, and when my teacher announced it, she said that we /needed/ to enter, as all the other schools had given up entering after our school won first, second, third, and all honorable mentions for several years.

@pheo

i need to photo some of my stuff from class when i go home (too friggan big to scan) though its still kainda stylized, to some degree. ok, so most of it doesnt have people or proportions in it, but /still/

@fort

i really need to do some mechanical sketches for comparison, for the lulz now. like, really.

Posted

I think that learning the basics or tried-and-true methods is very important.

I think people don't want to do the hard work that it takes to learn proportions.

I love you.

ANYWAY. Art classes are generally boring, I suppose. But then, if you're serious about getting better, art is pretty much 15% drawing and 85% studying.

Color wheels, lighting, anatomy, why and how things work. It all involves a lot of dedication. ;-;

Posted

I say all this because I think Chimetals needs to improve her idea of a figure before she can warp it. It will make all the difference.

But we can sit here and repeat each other all day

Posted

the number of color wheels and gradient practice ive done over the years, gggggg

also, it might not look it, but i /have/ been paying more attention to face proportions this year. given that i used to just go "well the eyes look good here, herpaderp" i think its an improvement. and like the inability to draw chibis, the super-large eyes look really wonky for me. i mean, anime eyes vs actual eyes, yes theyre bigger, but /huge/ anime eyes vs my eyes? urgyaghhhhh i just cant draw em that big. though lately my faces have been "ok, the eyes /should/ go here, but i wanna move em up just a liiiiiiittle bit thar for this specific character, and make em a liiiiiiiiiittle narrower for this other dude...." etc etc.

Posted

I feel like the title "Bored in Math class" says something.

Something along the lines of "how did this turn into an impromptu art lesson or whatever"

"or whatever" for you sticklers who might go "it's more like advice blah blah blah"

(P.S. Yes, thank you for pointing out how not average I am regarding my head and height.)

Posted

I feel like the title "Bored in Math class" says something.

Something along the lines of "how did this turn into an impromptu art lesson or whatever"

"or whatever" for you sticklers who might go "it's more like advice blah blah blah"

this this this this this. I mean, c'mon guys. :/ It's just, a bit of fun. What a foreign word that is where does it come from? Durr?