Chimetals: The Art Thread

239 posts in this topic

Posted

SAYURI.

WHAT THE HELL.

HOW FAR DID THEY GO.

squidding GROW.

Posted

The palm-chin thing. Give me something more exact cuz I'm sticking the heel of my hand to my chin and it just barely goes past my eye sockets but you said palm....

Posted

Where your wrist ends and your palm begins. Put that right where your chin begins. My fingers almost reach the top of my forehead.

Posted

Nope. Maybe if my nose wasn't there but nope.

Posted

dawwww Sayuri you're like Kimmy-sized

also known as "fun sized"

Posted

I love that I can just sit here and call out Sayuri's body without having seen more than a couple pictures.

Posted

pictures what pictures is there somebody i need to kill to get rid of pictures or did i put them there oh god i hate when there're pictures of me i should go back and delete all of them

I love that I can just sit here and call out Sayuri's body without having seen more than a couple pictures.

No, you didn't, you were off by 2/3 of a head at least.

Posted

-tries- Woah, they go to my hairline. What does this mean exactly?

Posted

Anatomy's still a little wonky, but he's not elongated like your other dudes have been in the past. One thing that's wonderful to keep in mind while you're drawing a figure is their proportions:

they areeeee.....still p elongated. i tried proportions in high school, but my characters came out all stiff and crap. so i started drawing however i felt, and kept that stiff instinct enough to try to avoid dislocated shoulders and broken necks in poses, but ive picked up style touches i like from different stuff i watch or read or w/e. i really need to get around to doing an influence chart.

that said, i was actually trying for the short-kid-thing look. idk why, but my mind just decided that was what your persona looked like. kainda cartoonish, ever so slightly, reminiscent of how you used to draw all the time.

Also, his neck is long, under that scarf. You probably mixed that up just because you couldn't see it. And, it's not that much longer than it should be, but it's long. His nose is farther south than it should be, too. I want to say it's because the eyes are so big, which is I guess typical for something like anime, but you should never forget that the ears close the distance from the top of the eye to the bottom of the nose. Can you draw the ears with your imagination? They are HUGE here.

all my necks have had about three vertebrae added to them since watching this series. theyre just fun to draw like that, and i know they all look like giraffes.

the eye size probably threw off the nose, otherwise it would be in a kainda funky place, almost between his eyes :P

hrn, just realized my ears in general have been on the wrong proportions, though they look like crap no matter what size i draw em so idk.

I haven't worn Khaki pants since Highschool if I remember correctly, but eh. His pants are fine for now, but you might want to look up some references in the future on how to draw cloth.

dude, i /barely/ saw you in highschool, and i feel like khaki pants were your /only/ pants, based on memory. i cant remeember you ever wearing black pants to school back then.

and i tendd to draw these in class, or between classes, so i dont really have references when i do em. theyre kainda quick drawings, most of the time

Have you shaded these before? Bold outlines for shape are one thing, but you can really really show what a body is doing if you vary some value in the right places.

its not shaded at all, i stopped after getting the base colors down. shading this type of style can look a little wonky sometimes, though, and it doesnt help that im not really a shading master or anything

There's more to say on anatomy(I could go into broadness of shoulders), but it's not a big deal. I think that you're getting a better sense of what a body looks like, but if you want a really good sense, you cannot learn that from drawing anime. You simply cannot. One day, you need to sit in on a life drawing class somewhere in your uni if they'll let you. You'll learn a lot.

if i had the time :< engineering college, too, so idk if they even have that. and i thought about trying to link you to a more proportionate drawing, but, lol, i dont really have any. lanky long-necks everywhere.

mostly ive kainda gone into a stylized thing thats done for my own amusement...because my major has nothing to do with art, this is just stuff i am able to do in my free time....which means, sadly, some of the pictures that have to be done over several days/weeks oftern kainda......trail off. usually in the backgrounds. and that i have no real access to references, due to forever sketching in a lobby or a lecture hall. which means i cant exactly get up and pose like an idiot, as well, for body positioning :<

-tries- Woah, they go to my hairline. What does this mean exactly?

i was gonna say puberty, but then i realized mine go up that far too. and i havent grown in 6ish years.

Posted

Hey. Hey pheo. Guess what. Unlike 13 credit hours we have not enough time on our hands to work on all the anatomy. (aka shorter critiques will be better for your soul)

Posted

But Sayuri, I thought YOU of all people would understand that life is just one big art class, and we have to be prepared for essays of criticism at anytime, anyday.

But really I like your Pheo Drawing Chimetals :3c such a grumpy bear abloobloo

Posted

You make such generalized statements, all the time hrnggg.

your silly ideal proportions are disproven by Sayuri

how u fel

Posted

and that i have no real access to references, due to forever sketching in a lobby or a lecture hall. which means i cant exactly get up and pose like an idiot, as well, for body positioning :<

Usually it's a bad idea, but you can draw from a stock photo if you really need a reference that badly.

You make such generalized statements, all the time hrnggg.

your silly ideal proportions are disproven by Sayuri

how u fel

Generalized statements?! Explaining average human proportions and applying them to drawings of humans?! Using basic anatomic knowledge to point out flaws in a figure?! God Forbid! From now on, how about I just compare everyone's proportions to something much more exact and specific, like Rosie O'Donnell. From now on, when Chimetals draws a person, I'm going to point out how much or how little it looks like Rosie O'Donnell.

Posted

Generalized statements?! Discussing average human proportions?! God Forbid! From now on, how about I just compare everyone's proportions to something much more exact and specific, like Rosie O'Donnell. From now on, when Chimetals draws a person, I'm going to point out how much or how little it looks like Rosie O'Donnell.

bawwwwwwwwwwwwww why am i the victim? :<

Posted

Explaining average human proportions and applying them to drawings of humans?! Using basic anatomic knowledge to point out flaws in a figure?!

Well, that's kind of contradictory, lol. "Average human proportions" is actually kind of pretty specific, falling within a range you actually defined with numbers with a margin of .5. I think it's dumb that you would consider the proportions bad if the artist in question wasn't even going for those proportions. She wants giraffe necks? So be it.

On the subject of anime, you also generalized that, and there are animu with more realistic proportions. Anime isn't great for mapping every detail of the human body, but the proportional rules still apply for various styles.

Sahaqiel