Followers 0

Talk (RP)

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to the RP section!

Rules

Basic Forum Rules

Flaming
Don't do it. This is obvious. Don't start trouble or you'll receive an infraction and your elf will be rendered obsolete, and left to the will of the other elves.

The exception is if it's part of the role play and your elves are having a violent argument or somesuch.
Example:
Elf A: "Go away Elf B you stop stealing my elf furniture"
Elf B: "SHUT UP LOSER THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU'RE LONELY AND STUPID"
Elf A: "okay look put down my family picture its the only thing I have left of them after I got amnesia"
Elf B: "IS THIS YOUR SISTER I BET SHE'S LONELY TOO AND MAYBE DEAD"
Elf A: "ugh stop it please this is unpleasant"
Elf B: "WELL YOU'RE UNPEASANT"

No God Modding

"God Modding" is in essence when someone's character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. An example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.

-It can be killing or injuring a character without the player's express permission.
-It can be when they simply can't be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-It can also be using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as
Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they're not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they've made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It’s a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it's offensive to boot.
This is a prime example of God Modding:

Elf A: Elf A punches Elf B
Elf B: Elf B dodges attack, grabs Elf A and throws him into the wall. Elf A is knocked out and then Elf B steals all his stuff.
Elf A: Elf A gets back up and punches Elf B again.
Elf B: Elf B dodges again and throws Elf A to the ground "Oh I am so weak and bad at fighting, I wish I was could ever be better than you" and then Elf B stands on Elf A and Elf A starts crying "Oh woe is me I am such a wuss" and then Elf B steals his house keys as well.
Elf A: ((Okay stop this is annoying))
Elf B: ((You just wish you were me))

OOC

When speaking to other RPers out of character, put the text in double brackets or precede it with "OOC:" like so:

((Haha Player A is probably an elf irl because he's totally acting as gay as one right now))
OOC: Shut up Player B you have been nothing but dumb this whole elf RP it's unpleasant.
((well maybe you're unpeasant))

Keep character knowledge separate from player knowledge

If only Elf A and Elf C know where a treasure is buried and have discussed its whereabouts in the RP, Elf B can't know where it is and go dig it up unless Elf A and Elf C decide to let Elf B in on the secret. Elf A and Elf C have decided to shun Elf B for a reason. Maybe Elf B is greedy and might kill them to have the treasure for himself? I can't speak for Elf A and Elf C in this situation though. They're just hypothetical elves.

Etiquette

Try and write in a way that wouldn't make people rage. Spell things as best you can, and if you're especially atrocious, then install a spellchecker into your browser (use

Google.com to find out how for yourself). Also use past tense. Present and future tense look awkward outside of speech.
Here's an example of *what not to do:

Elf A: Elf A walked to the shop, where he saw Elf B and Elf C hanging around outside.
Elf B: Elf B is walking to Elf A and says "I'm going to ruin your day"*
Elf A: ((Okay ugh shut up use past tense, like me))
Elf B: Elf B stares at Elf A while Elf A does nothing but stand there, as if he's in another world.*
Elf A: Elf A ignored Elf B's incredible stupidity and greeted Elf C with a friendly smile " :) "
Elf C: elf c put his smile bak at elf a 'n' tlkd 2 elf b "elf b watr u up 2"*
Elf A: ((ugh))
Elf B: ((I'm not sure if I'm angry or just horribly upset))
Elf C: oov.. tlk 2 elf c dnt leev him hangin*
Elf A: ((I am totally not sharing the treasure with you now))
Elf C: ooC: :9*
Elf B: ((You mean the one in the forest? I dug that up ages ago after I saw you two talking about it in the thread))
Elf A: ((aaaaaaaaaa that's so wrong))
Elf B: ((Elf C PM'd me about it))
Elf A: ((You can't do that! Elves can't have personal messages! Elves can't have privacy!))
Elf C: elf c bust a mov 'n' runs around town :P

Use the report button

Elf A: ((Just report it if it's against the rules (or you think there should be a rule against it) it's pretty simple))
Elf B: ((Yeah this is pretty easy to understand))

Follow these and you should be okay!

Tips

Planning/Discussion
Good RPs are usually well coordinated and planned. Keeping in contact with your fellow RPers about the status of the RP will help to make sure everybody is okay with other players using their characters.

Site methods of communication with your fellow RPers include the RP thread itself, profile commenting, private messaging or the chat network.

-Discussion in the thread should be written in the OOC markers, as detailed in the Rules section above.
--For larger RPs, additional discussion threads may be made for general discussion outside of the main RP thread. It should be clear from the thread title that the two threads are linked. For example "Elf RP" and "Elf RP Discussion"

-Private messaging on this forum allows for group private discussions wherein multiple members can talk to each other. This method is highly preferable to additional discussion threads. But both will be allowed.

Outwith the forum, there are plenty of communication methods including email, Skype, MSN messenger, AIM messenger, Facebook messaging and various other sites and instant messaging applications. Or maybe even by sending letters by actual physical mail if you're that kind of person.
You'll have to ask each other for details regarding these of course.

You have no excuse for controlling other peoples' characters without their consent when there are so many ways to contact each other.

Posting

Try to finish your RP posts in a way that allows other players to easily pick up from where you left off. For example if you end the post talking to an NPC or doing anything that only you can follow up on. Unless you discuss it with the other RPers, try to avoid doing it. This can often be the death of RPs.

Example:
Elf B: Elf B climbed to the top of the extreme mountain. The plot twist he saw on the other side was immense and threatened to change everything everybody knew ever. He couldn't believe his eyes.
Elf A: ((How am I even supposed to know what this means))
Elf B: ((isn't it obvious?))
Elf A: ((What, no? How am I even meant to figure this out :( ))

Fixing it:
Elf B: ((okay, I'll PM you what it is and you take it from there))
Elf A: ((KK))
Elf A: ((Oh man this is awful))
Elf C: elf c climes on hill and c it 2 he watesfor elfa 2 say

or
Elf B: ((fine then, I'll finish it))
Elf B: It was pheo

Absence

If you're going to be away, please tell your fellow RPers about it. And most preferably in advance. A week before you're due to leave would be ideal. Remember to tell everyone how long for and when you expect to be back. Keep them in the know so that confusion and irritation doesn't spread throughout the thread. The RP will lose it's momentum and die.

Do you want to kill RPs? Your friends? Your characters? Your characters are people (or animals). With lives and histories and bodies and personalities and destinies. Do you want to kill them too? Do you? No? Then tell people if you're going to be away.

Telling people the details about your awayness is up to you. Off to a whore house for a weekend of dirty shenanigans? It's up to you whether you tell people that. Also I hope you don't go to a whore house.

Current RPs
NayruGoddessOfWisdom's Establishing Hyrule RP

Teto's Barfight! RP

------

This thread is for discussion about the RPs, RPing and the RP section in general.

If you have an RP idea ready to go, go ahead and post it in the role play section.
If you have a vague idea for an RP and would like some input from other members and RPers, post it here.

Try not to stray too far from the basic topic.

Feel free to post any suggestions regarding the above rules and tips sections.

Here's hoping you enjoy your time here and post lots!

Posted

this is the best rules

Posted

I know only like, two people will join it seriously, but I have a vague idea for a pony RP. (At least I don't think It's enough for a full blown RP.)

There is a legend of a second set of elements, with the same magical properties as the Elements of Harmony. They're unknown to most ponies, not even the princesses know. but they do, in fact, exist, and the bearers live in Ponyville, and commune with the Fellowship of Harmony often. We are those bearers, and we must find out how we can find these elements to defeat a looming dark presence.....

So.... input please?

Posted

Sorry but personally I wouldn't really be up for an MLP RP >: And no, can't think of anything to add to that idea either. Lol so helpful.

Also, going to add active RPs to the OP just because.

Posted

Nah, your advice is fine, most of the time. I think this could work without any more ideas. Thanks anyways, Teto.

Posted

These rules make me smile. :')

Posted

Added to Tips section.

Posted

Teto, it's like you ARE the elves.

Oh, you should add something about absences. I've seen roleplays die because one person decided to fall off the face of the earth (rawri'mgoingtokillthatbastardnexttimeiseehim)

Posted

Good job on the rules. They're exactly what I was taught when I used to roleplay. Also, "It was Pheo" made me laugh.

Posted

Question: how late can someone be added to an RP (the pokemans one looks like lol) and how much interaction can a non-player have? (i saw LLs post about his shellder and like....

Ian the Shellder was your normal, average, run-of-the-mill Shellder. Except for one thing... He had one daemone wing and one angel wing. and one eye is red and one is blue. Shellder was cursed to be part angel and part daemone because of magical pearl he found one day. None of his loved ones knew......... They could never know. They'd be in grave danger if they ever knew what he was.... because when Ian wasn't balancing homework, girl problems and whacky adventures, he was fighting the hordes of the underworld and criminals

llsshellder.png

Posted

That's up to the OP. Ask LL <:

Posted

awesome, cuz i wanted to be a trainer. i apologize in advance for my lame naming :P

Posted

Has anyone tried a TF2 RP by any chance? Okay, that's actually a worse idea than "The New Elements"

Posted

Idea now.

What if-WHAT IF-we had normal discussion in the RP section but it was mandatory to roleplay it as a set OOC character.

Because the RP section is dead anyway so we might as well make it a complete joke?

Pheo could be a bear.

Knuckle could be an Eridan.

T1g could be a maid.

Sayuri could be numbers.

Imagine.

Then we could have adventure RPs as one full forum, rather than separating zelda and non-zelda RPs. General RP could be a subforum.

General RP could just be like forum games but for RP piss-taking that people have fun with when people make RPs. I mean yeah that would be cool maybe? Maybe?

Because I think it's a fantastic idea.

Posted

Don't know don't care.