Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Future Anime Convention/Online Merchandise

17 posts in this topic

Posted

post-4317-0-40405500-1311794875_thumb.pnpost-4317-0-82087400-1311794889_thumb.pnpost-4317-0-11312600-1311794899_thumb.pn

49361880.jpg

I'm going to be making a bunch of merchandise, hopefully. These aren't in real colors, in the sense that I made these with the intent of using them for a mold, with which I will cast the real copies in appropriately dyed polyester resin. I've completed the Cascade badge, Boulder badge, a Force Gem, and the Marsh badge, in that order, so far. I have near complete models for four of the remaining six first gen badges. Props to LL, by the way. He gave me the idea to make gym badges, so I'll be mailing him some models so he can make his own.

The badges will cost three to five dollars each, with a discount (and possible case?) for those who choose to buy all eight badges at once. Rupees/Force Gems will go for 75 cents each from quantities up to ten, 60 cents from quantities from ten to thirty, and 50 cents each for quantities larger than thirty. I'll also be making Rupoors, which you'll have to redundantly purchase Rupees to exchange for lol.

Incidentally, the Rainbow badge is a dick, just looking at it. It's like Gamefreak came together and had a meeting over how to make a badge look annoying to reproduce three dimensionally in real life using a model made from sculpting clay, cast in resin.

so ya

I'm thinking of like, giving badges away for free if someone manages to beat me in a Pokémon battle, while I'm using the exact team the corresponding gym leader uses.

I'm in it for the joy, not the money. (;

but money's fine too.

Sahaqiel

Posted

resin sounds high-quality, so i salute you for that. i saw some badges for sale at Acen, but they looked like clay or painted wood for the most part.

is resin shiny? >w> and the boxes sound like a good idea, as does the pokemon battle thing.....maybe ill get motivated to actually build a high-quality team post-game as opposed to my usual half-assery of "oh hay i beat the 4 i go buy new version nao"

Posted

Chimetals; polyester resin is the stuff they use in transparent paper weights and fake jewelry. Think those mass produced chandeliers. It's pretty much perfect for Rupees, though I don't know how well it'll turn out with the badges, aesthetically. If I get enough money, I'll be able to buy non transparent polyester resin, so I can make the badges more believable. But 20oz of polyester resin is like 20 dollars, so it's not THAT expensive, especially with what you're making, which isn't meant to stand up to tanks. Polyester resin, hardened, can take up to like, sixty pounds of pressure? I think? Point is, you'd probably have to be trying to break it. Probably. Now, there's more expensive stuff, which is epoxy resin, and that stuff hardened is actually stronger than steel. It's pretty intense. But it costs too much for a large amount, and I'm aiming for mass production.

LL; I could give you a run down of what you need to produce these things.

I think my final plan is that I'll give large discounts for beating me in a battle. Like 60 to 80 percent. I heard girl scouts still have to pay for their badges. This is the same thing, with Pokémon battles you have to defeat me in.

Not like it'd be hard, with the team I'd have to use.

I still think the Rupoor idea is cute.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Sahaaa let's battle for a Cascade Badge one dayyyy ;3

But like, those are really cute! and I hope making all of this goes well for you :>

Posted

This is hot.

Posted

Chimetals; polyester resin is the stuff they use in transparent paper weights and fake jewelry. Think those mass produced chandeliers. It's pretty much perfect for Rupees, though I don't know how well it'll turn out with the badges, aesthetically. If I get enough money, I'll be able to buy non transparent polyester resin, so I can make the badges more believable.

then its *durable* much better than wood, which feels weird, or clay, which feels weird and has a decent chance of braking when dropped.

transparent badges sound like fun, and if you dont like 'em, id buy em off of you, seriously. (im also assuming the colors wont mix weird)

Posted

ya. I'm pretty sure someone will buy all my stock (if I have it ready in time) if I bring it. I just have a duty to make them the best as I can. I am looking for a quick buck, sure, but I am also crowd pleasing, and that's half the point of making these. I'll see how they look transparent and non transparent, and maybe make them separately. But one of the main things with making them transparent or not is that I want to stick pins in the backs, so people can actually wear them. I want to see how they look before I make any decisions on their look.

LL, thanks. Angles look really easy to me, because I sand these things into shape and all I really need to do is drag the thing in one direction, but it's SURPRISINGLY EASY TO DICK THINGS UP. I've killed like a bunch of Rupees. :( I was all sorts of surprised when the Marsh and Cascade badges came out looking so delicious.

As for molding and casting things, you definitely might have to jump through some hoops, especially with the Rainbow badge. It might take several hours to get one batch of Rainbow Badges done, but for the sake of being professional, I'll be trying to make just as many Rainbow badges as all the others. Not to mention the week-to-ten-days curing time of the resin itself. Even if it hardens, the surface remains sticky for quite awhile.

I've decided I'll make single color badges (Boulder, Cascade, Soul, Marsh) three dollars, double color badges (Thunder, Volcano, Earth) four dollars, and the RAINBOW BADGE FIVE DOLLARS BECAUSE IT'S A JERK.

so ya, hope this turns out right.

Sahaqiel

Posted

ya

Normally, altogether it'd be 29 dollars for every badge, but I think I'll sell the complete set for 21 dollars.

Which is p. cool, considering some people sell plush Nyan Cat keychains online for like FIFTEEN DOLLARS.

im such a crowd pleaser

ya

Normally, altogether it'd be 29 dollars for every badge, but I think I'll sell the complete set for 21 dollars.

Which is p. cool, considering some people sell plush Nyan Cat keychains online for like FIFTEEN DOLLARS.

im such a crowd pleaser

Posted

if the pins make the transparant badges look weird, you could always put some sort of backing on them, preferably something reflective, like aluminum foil, but idk how thatd hold up >.>

Posted

I am intrigued.

Any chance of a yellow rupee in the making? I'd love to have one just to feel rich in the nerdly sort of way. xD

Posted

I'll make red rupees too.

B)

Posted

it is so on sahaqiel

i am going to beat you and take your gym badge

andthen

pay you anyway

Posted

I'll make red rupees too.

B)

:DD

I approve~

Posted

rupeejewlery.png

Posted

lol

Also, update.

74064538.jpg

The Soul badge probably looks the best out of the most recently updated badges.

but don't be fooled!

The Soul and Volcano badges were supposed to get symmetrical casts that would complete the whole. But I was dumb and found out casting them just made another of whichever side I casted. In short, I have two right halves of a Soul badge. I clearly did not think that one through.

So instead, I just got some clay, sanded down a failed Soul Badge half, and then spread the clay all over the mistake areas. So yeah, there's soft, damageable clay in the Soul and Volcano badges. The Volcano badge looks cooler in real life, I assure you, but I am, like with the Soul badge, going to mold it, then fill the mold with more clay and p. much just make an identical copy, only this time, baked completely.

I'm in the process of doing that with the Soul badge.

38347471.jpg

At least I can cast identicals of each part of the Thunder and Rainbow badge. Even though I messed up the angles and had to sand them down more. It's trial and error from here.

Sahaqiel