Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chad and The Monsters

1 post in this topic

Posted

When he was just a boy Chad Averman dreamed of living a life of adventure. Everytime he played he would imagine himself as some Indiana Jones type explorer trudging through a dense jungle carving a path in the deep growth as he followed an ancient map to a forgotten temple in search of treasure. Young Chad swore that he would one day discover some long fordotten civilisation. His mother would tell him "you're gonna discover Atlantis my boy". A year later Sarah Averman was dead and young Chad abandoned his childish dreams, it was time to grow up.

Chad Averman now works as a teller at Goliath National Bank. As he trudges through his mediocre life he sometimes shifts back to that little boy and thirsts for adventure.

For Chad "Life comes for he who waits".

Chapter One: How much!?

Chad stumbled into his apartment building a little after 6pm, his arm was wrapped tightly around a brown paper bag "Stop & Shop" printed in bright colors on the side. With his free hand he slid his key into his mailbox and pulled out a large stack. "It's mostly Junkmail no doubt." a boy said in a thick british accent. "Oh hello didn't see you there." Chad said. "I'm Graham, do you live here?" he asked. "yes I live on 6, did you just move in?" Chad asked. "This dump, hardly my dad just bought this place." he said. Chad's memories drifted back and he remembered that a wealthy British entrepreneur was planning on buying building in the neighborhood, but he had no idea it was gonna be his. "Well thank god for that, maybe now we'll get a new Hot Water heater." Chad said in a whisper as he headed for the elevator.

As he reached Apartment 606 he placed his key in and opened the lock. As he closed the thick solid core oak door behind him he chained up the security latch. Turning on the hallway light he walked down the hall kicking his shoes of as he went. He turned right and entered his modest kitchen, as he placed the bag on the counter there was a knock at the door. "I'm coming!" he shouted as he headed back the way he came.

"Have you seen this crap!" Morris Carp, Chad's across the hall neighboor asked pushing himself in. "I just got home Morris, what crap do you mean?" he asked.

"I found this in the mailbox, you probably got one too." he said unfolding a cream colored piece of paper. "From the Desk of Royston Smith, CEO Royith Industries. Hello tenants allow me to introduce myself, I am Royston Smith as most of you know I have bought this Flat building..." "Just skip to the end Morris!" Chad said. "Fine Chad, you are gonna love this." "That is why I am pleased to announce that The Park Rosette Apartments will now be known as The Royith Estates."

Chad grinned "So." "So...SO! Don't you see what's happening here. The building is becoming condominiums, and these condos will cost $500 a month!" "How much!?" Chad asked. "Yeah see, those of us who can't pay are S.O.L from now on!"

Chad watched as Morris skulked back to his door, then closed his.

Back in his apartment Chad walked the hallway to the Kitchen again, the Stop & Shop bag sat just as he had left it. As he pulled the groceries from the sack a drop of condensation dripped from the bottom of a paper carton of Bryers Chacolate Ice Cream and landed on a folded newspaper taken from husband mailbox.

The drop landed with a gentle plop, slightly darkening the grey newspaper. The slight darknening illuminated the Newsprint like a bulletpoint. "Roommate needed, reasonable rates call 870-239-8765 for more information".

Chad smiled at the odd occurrence, here he was moments away from being homeless and an ad for a Roommate falls into his lap.

Little did he know as he heated up his Hungryman Salsbury steak dinner his very future was speeding to meet him.