Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Guess what I dug up?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I recently moved into the house I bought from my uncle, and in the deal, he gave me everything he left to with as I pleased.

So I was digging through boxes, lots of trash, a nice set of golf clubs he left for me, and then I find these.....

Photoon2011-09-15at0029.jpg

Yep, box of Nintendo Power magazines.

Then I find another...

Photoon2011-09-15at00292.jpg

And another....

Photoon2011-09-15at0030.jpg

Turns out he has every magazine publication Nintendo ever produced along with InterAction magazine, Sega Visions and Stephen King's Creepshow. Not a bad find for random digging on a sleepless night.

And, the Zelda second quest issue, just for fun.

Photoon2011-09-15at0032.jpg

Posted

That's crazy. And also significantly amazing.

Posted

As far as the Nintendo stuff, every magazine publication, yes. Sega doesn't seem to be complete, and I don't know enough about Creepshow or InterAction to know what is missing.

Posted

The entire collection, together, is actually worth a pretty good amount. I'd hold on to those.

Posted

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on getting rid of it, but I'd be interested in finding out just how much it would be worth, just for my own edification. Now I need to get them all put back.

Posted

frame them and hang them on your wall!

Posted

I KNOW THIS FEEL

I recently unboxed like 3 or 4 bins of my brother's old comic books.

Found the first NP, too. It was greattt

Posted

Yeah, great find. And they look like they're in decent condition, just in case you did decide to sell them.

Posted

Instead of putting them in a cardboard box, you should try and find a better way of saving them. Not entirely sure how, though.

Posted

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to sell them, kinda a cool collection, but I think Pheo is right, I need to find a better way to preserve them than throwing them into a box in the basement.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted

You need to store them in acid-free and lignin-free boxes. Check out Demco.com or archivalsuppliers.com for those.

Also, put acid-free tissue paper between each of the magazines (pages too, if you want them to be pristine) and that should cover it. That's about all that you can do for them. They're stronger than newspaper, so they shouldn't degrade that much over time.

Issue #1 is worth around $10 on its own, so I wouldn't doubt that you could get around $45-$50 for the whole collection. Save them and maybe in about 30 years or so you could double that.

Posted

If you get a crazy collector, I'm sure you could get more. But I haven't seen a full collection on ebay so I wouldn't really know how to gauge the price. Perhaps there are other issues that are worth as much as the 1st issue?

Posted

You need to store them in acid-free and lignin-free boxes. Check out Demco.com or archivalsuppliers.com for those.

Also, put acid-free tissue paper between each of the magazines (pages too, if you want them to be pristine) and that should cover it. That's about all that you can do for them. They're stronger than newspaper, so they shouldn't degrade that much over time.

Issue #1 is worth around $10 on its own, so I wouldn't doubt that you could get around $45-$50 for the whole collection. Save them and maybe in about 30 years or so you could double that.

I'll look into getting some of that. Thank you for the suggestions.

I'll have to look and see if there are specific issues that are in demand or anything like that, maybe the local hobby shop can help me out with that.