Pheonix561's General Art Thread

502 posts in this topic

Posted

What about space horses that pull the cart from place to place, and they also have cameras in their eye sockets for spotting bad guys. Or space dogs.

pheonix561 and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

pQQ7fzb.jpg

Here's that second pass over the previous concept i mentioned wanting to do. I think it's a step forward, but it's not where I want it to be yet. The biggest issue I had with the previous transport cell was that it looked like one solid object when it was supposed to look like three. Now it looks like three objects next to each other, when it should look like three objects in unison as one object. Which is a difficult balance to strike I think.

The vent/engine things on the bottom look formless. And the overall appeal of it looks more like it belongs in Area 51 than anything. This still has work in it left to be done on it. Expect variants of the machine's skin later.

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted

I think i liked the original design better. But this would be really awesome if you had 2 or 3 cells in a row with the two engine blocks on the ends. Like if it was a train with carts. Is that what you were going for? 

your actual art though, is beyond impressive. <3

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Thanks man. Here's a thing I did today:

tumblr_n52qn6JaNJ1txb2qdo1_1280.png

Just some different skins for that forklift design I uploaded earlier. As if the same machine were sold for public/commercial use. That's all, nothing special. I'm gonna do sketches for round three soon.

Teto likes this

Posted

So I posted that thing in the sketchbook of one of the art threads that I frequent, and somebody did something really nice for me! They posted a paintover of the thing I posted up there and showed that I'd forgotten to check for how the light hit the surface of what I was painting. Here's the edit they did:

0bvUV1W.jpg

Then they suggested I take a look at scott robertson's dvd lesson series on how to render matte surfaces. Which is something I've been thinking about lately, so having this guy come by and help me out with this was totally rad. I just wanted to post in here about that, is all.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Reminds me a lot of the art Gearbox did for the Borderlands series tbh

(that's a good thing, that game has really neat art)

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah, borderlands has some great art. Knuckle told me these reminded him of Elysium and District 9, too, which I can also see. Frankly I'm just flattered to be compared to good arts like those.

Posted

I'm sorry but are you even going to consider my space horse idea

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I uh

uh

No look I have considered it see here's some concept art I did for it!!!

DcRNE4C.png

Which one do you guys like???

Posted

the second one

Posted

1I3ahiJ.jpg

Anybody see anything they like? Or is anyone else reminded of doughnuts at the sight of this? Because I definitely am.

EDIT: OH ALSO, I Just realized none of my posts from my sketchbook to instagram get posted here so I should probably dump them, here's a sample and then more below the spoiler:

tumblr_n3ua264vAo1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3wapcxiBj1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n43nl92leU1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n46ry0Y3cH1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4ayycKmql1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5bql9Aa4t1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5f1mjMS101rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5hq5mMmck1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5qm2ueFro1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

Teto likes this

Posted

Is that a Giant Halberd from Dark Souls in that second picture?

Oh yeah, thought you might like this. The mech concepts are inspiring:

Posted

Nah, it's not the giant's halberd. It was a weapon they had on display at the art museum in chicago. Thanks for the interesting video, though it seems like you see a lot of square mech designs these days. I think we're all aching for a new concept to fall in love with.

Here's the finished version of that gun from up there, I thought I was going to combine a few of the features from each gun but I ended up liking the top one the most, so I cleaned it up:

tumblr_n67b460H0F1txb2qdo1_1280.jpg

I dunno. I like it, but I feel like it could be better. The most interesting part of the gun is the right half. Everything to the left of the magazine feels kind of boring and unfinished. I'll take another look over it some other time, though. I have other guns to design.

Teto and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

I found a better color scheme for these designs than what I was using before. Here's some rifle sketches for the same personal project:

tumblr_n6cf4uPWkC1rbffp0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6ebekNpw71txb2qdo1_1280.jpg

Anything you guys like or hate in these?

Teto likes this