Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New DJ on the block

22 posts in this topic

Posted

So I was talking with my animu president friend, and we were having a lengthy discussion about DJs and DJing over turntable.fm, and he eventually says, "Madeon will be the best DJ of 2012."

I was like, "Where have I heard that name before?", then I was like, "Oh yeah, Volpin's silver helmet video."

So I went and looked it up, and idk man, this guy looks p. legit.

With his live sample board mashup that makes it look like he's something out of a science fiction movie.

Or she. I think she would be cool.

hrng. I will have you one day, pro equipment.

Posted

Last night a DJ saved my life.

Posted

compared to you two, i dont know if i can really say anything.

oh wait.

really, though, that video is just so funnnnnn, dancing hands and such. and catchy.

Posted

What do you mean by that, lol.

Also, pheo, this person does what you want to, only with 39 songs, all at the same time.

how u fel??

Posted

So, they take a song that they write, and then use a bunch of different samples to add personality to the song, probably using different samples during each moment in the song every time? Why do I know so little about how this works?

Posted

This was totally funnn and awesome to watch, listening to all those various songs nowww <3

Saha come DJ for me one day :<

Posted

So, they take a song that they write, and then use a bunch of different samples to add personality to the song, probably using different samples during each moment in the song every time? Why do I know so little about how this works?

I think this song is almost entirely constructed from samples. Some DJs will make their own percussion on a drum machine, (not sure if this one did) but each of those buttons on a certain setting correspond to a different sample, which is organized however the DJ wants. So yes, this DJ wrote their own track using samples from other ones, then switched settings to a crazy two dimensional keyboard for a small solo, then went back. Essentially, pheo, it's like playing a piano, only the piano's keys correspond to different sound effects or loops from other songs.

A traditional mashup is when you beatmatch two tracks side by side, then manipulate when you can hear either track with the crossfader, often used in conjunction with samplers or drum machines.

I'll mail you my book if I feel like figuring it out lol. Honestly, there's not really a "guide", you just have to combine the music in a cool way.

It depends on your creativity and how distinct your image is of where you want it to go. Having a sample board like this guy would definitely help.

and of course cascade <3

i get one free sleepover token though. ;)

Sahaqiel

Posted

@saha

i meant you posted an awesome video, then nabe comes on with "i was SAVED by a DJ"

Posted

That's a song, lol. He was joking.

Posted

wow this is pretty pro

why dont you have more pro things saha

Posted

UH I CAN SEE THAT HE'S PLAYING THE SAMPLES LIKE A KEYBOARD THANKS

Posted

then what is there to not understaaaaand

Also, yes, this person has a drum machine going. Around the keyboard part, the percussion keeps playing.

And I think the keys that aren't lit during the "lit up" parts stop adjacent keys? That explains the seemingly random arrangement.

The arrows on the right side of the board play every assigned key in the row...

The top buttons are different sets of samples...

Just learning by context. :x

Sahaqiel

Posted

What I didn't understand was, what part of that song was pre recorded? What was the part that would keep going where he wasn't? What's the vanilla song?

Posted

There is no vanilla song. Just the percussion, which may or may not be original.

DJs typically make new tracks exclusively out of other tracks, especially in a mashup. This track is composed almost entirely of samples, except(?) the percussion, in this case(?).

Posted

I mean, I knew he did that, but I thought he was just playing samples over a prerecorded song he made himself or something idk