Community: The Video Game

8 posts in this topic

Posted

In my spare time I'm making my own 8-bit video game based on the NBC TV series "Community". It's sort of a cross between Paperboy, Back to the Future and Zelda 2. The basic premise is that the study group has broken up (again) so you have to navigate Jeff Winger around Greendale Community College and find the other members of the study group (Abed, Shearly, Britta, Pierce and Troy) before the school day ends. There's a lot of talking to other students (Gareth, Leonard, Starburns, Fat Neil, Vicki, Chang, ect) and teachers (Coach Bogner, Professor Duncan, Professor Slater, Dean Pelton) but you have to be careful because some students and teachers talk to you from anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour (game time) and if you get spotted by School Bully Mike you have to fight him and his "flydancers" in Punch Out inspired fights. There are items and people you can find to help your search go faster.

These include:

Jeff's Running Shoes (X2 speed)

Fat Neil gives you Abed's Notebook (the locations of Sherley, Britta and Annie appear on the map)

If you find The Greendale Human Being he'll lead you to Troy

If you find Pierce's mom (in her "Energon Pod" Lava lamp) his location appears on the Map.

If you answer all of Abed's Trivia questions about Community's first two "seasons" he gives you a jar full of Buffalo Testicles to give to Chang this opens up a shortcut through the gym.

It's very time consuming, so check back soon for screenshots as the game progresses.

Posted

I actually like the sounds of this game, I love 8-bit (:

Can't wait for screenshots.

Posted

Thanks. The hardest part is composing the music. I'm trying to compose an 8-bit version of the shows intro song (At Least It Was Here by the 88) as well as original tunes for the characters.

Like the show it'll feature a lot of Meta-humor. The Abed character "sees" that he's in a videogame.

Posted

I wouldn't even know where to start >.<

It sounds like a big project & i can't wait to see the finished product (:

He knows he's in the game??

What are Flydancers?

Posted

In the show Community the character of Abed has as he puts it "One foot out of reality". He lives life like it's a TV show (which it is) the other characters don't see it but he does. So I figured if Abed in the show "knows" he's on a show then game Abed will "see" that he's now a game character.

Flydancers is a refrence to an early 90's tv sketch comedy show from Fox called "In Living Color". In between the sketch comedy segments there were elaborate dance routines performed by women refered to as "Flydancers" Fly meaning cool or hip (ie "Man that chick is fly"). Before she was famous singer/actress Jennifer Lopez was a flydancer on the show.

Jeff Winger uses the term as an insult when talking about Bully Mike's cohorts.

Posted

Oh now i get it, I like the story line alot so far, perfect 8-bit material.

Good luck completeing it, I think everyone will really like it (:

Post screenshots as soooon as you get them!

Posted

Had a power failure yesterday and my harddrive crashed, lost everything. Luckly I have an external back-up that saved everything.

Posted

You are so lucky, that would have been the worst!