Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awwyeeaah Meta Knight banned from Brawl Tournaments as of January 9th, 2012

32 posts in this topic

Posted

[center][img]http://www.gamingbus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/metaknight-300x181.jpg[/img][/center]

It was announced via the [url="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311729"]Smash Boards forum[/url] that, starting on January 9th, 2012, Meta Knight will be banned from tournaments utilizing the [url="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032"]Unity Ruleset[/url]. For those unfamiliar, the Unity Ruleset was created by a collaboration of prominent and respected tournament organizers throughout the U.S. and Canada, called the Unity Ruleset Committee. It is widely used, and although a few other standardized rulesets exist in the U.S. and Canada, it is the Unity Ruleset that is most popular.

This ban comes after a very long-running debate on whether or not Meta Knight should be allowed in tournaments based on his exceptional recovery skills in conjunction with his high damage output. The most problematic are his recovery skills; The Unity Ruleset actually implemented a Ledge Grab Limit (LGL) specifically because of Meta Knight. Unfortunately, this didn’t prove very effective in evening the playing field and actually hurt the play of other characters.

Ultimately, the ban was voted on 14-0 (1 abstaining). One of the main reasons cited was the [url="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295425"]high usage[/url] of Meta Knight, but overall there were a large variety of reasons, and the committee collaborated with some of the top players in the tournament scene before making a decision. Community polls across the fandom were also taken into account.

Source: [url="http://www.gamingbus.com/2011/10/04/meta-knight-banned-from-brawl-tournaments-via-unity-ruleset/"]http://www.gamingbus...-unity-ruleset/[/url]

Posted

I don't understand elitists. Whether it's Smash Bros., or Pokémon, or whatever else anyone plays, there's always some kind of rule that supposedly makes it more fair or whatever. But Meta Knight is in the puppying game. I can use Meta Knight if I puppying want. Just like Hypnosis is in Pokémon, and I can use it on all of my opponent's Pokémon if I choose to do so.

Stupid people. Anyway, I don't even use Meta Knight, I'm just pissed that, if I ever decided to compete in these tournaments, I wouldn't have the [i]option[/i] of using him.

Posted

You would understand why he's banned if you knew why he was banned.
He is insanely overpowered. Most of his special moves make him invincible in all but one direction (that is traveling away from you anyway), all of his moves are near-instant and the fastest activated moves in the game, all his specials are recoveries, his up-B recovery allows him to edgeguard like no other, (they instated a ledge guard rule [i]just because of Meta Knight[/i]) and also is an instant finishing move, and also makes him glide for double recovery (he can actually make it all the way around Temple using just his glides and recovery) his down special makes him invincible in [i]all[/i] directions, and he can approach with it, and attack out of it, and it's super fast, and you can do a relatively easy glitch with it that makes him invisible, invincible, extremely fast, indefinitely, and he can attack out of it, he has no particularly bad matchup with any characters, he can air spam until you are offscreen and you can do nothing about it, his grabs are fast, relatively unavoidable, and throw you pretty far, etc. etc.

Pretty much, here you go. Ignore the commentator, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Before you watch, you should know that Meta Knight and Snake used to be in god tier together. The only ones in god tier. These are the Major League Gaming [i]finals[/i], so, the best in the league at both Snake and MK.
And this is the difference between them.

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-19NssjjZQ[/media][/center]
Now Meta Knight is in his own tier.
You don't have to be "an elitist" to understand why Meta Knight should have been banned for awhile. You just have to have played Brawl competitively and not played as Meta Knight. This is like, a big deal.
If you looked at one of the links, [i]one fifth[/i] of the people playing in tournaments use Meta Knight. He's one out of like thirty characters. like honestly

Ganny and I were talking about how there was this professional event, 2v2, and there were two Meta Knights facing a Snake and a Diddy Kong. Snake and Diddy Kong are high tier. When Diddy Kong died to leave the Snake, the second highest tier character in the game, who should theoretically have had a chance against two other characters because of his hitboxes and explosive capabilities, against two Meta Knights, he pressed start and quit. In the professional ladder. No one blames him.

Tiers aren't an "elitist thing". They exist in all fighting games, and are mostly based on tournament winnings, with the ability of the characters also being considered. Pretty much what it means is, the lower tier your character, theoretically, the more skill you have to compensate to win against a higher tier character who is being played by a person with around the same skill level as you. And Meta Knight was just teetering between completely broken and overpowered for awhile. But when you look at him under the microscope, he is just awful. ):
Sahaqiel

Posted

I thought pros used patches like Brawl+ which fix broken characters like Meta Knight?

Posted

oh man.

This is the best thing that's ever happened to me

I still have to find my game and get good with Diddy Kawng, because of bananas everywhere

Also, lol at Hyrule++ Tier

Posted

[quote name='Knuckle' timestamp='1318000631' post='364248']I thought pros used patches like Brawl+ which fix broken characters like Meta Knight?[/quote]
It's not widely tournament supported because many ladders are determined on the online winnings, and everyone can't be expected to know how to or be able to mod or want to mod their Wii.
etc.

Text from Ganny:
[quote name='Text from Ganny']META KNIGHT IS DEAD THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE[/quote]
This actually makes me want to go back to Brawl. :<
Sahaqiel

Posted

What a bunch of pussies. If you're gonna go pro, you gotta play like a pro and hack the bejesus out of your Wii. :P

Posted

Man, I want to play Brawl with you guys now :< I remember that time I totally wrecked Muffin with the lovely Peach. goooooooooooooood timessssss <3

Posted

I want to play and I'm using Meta Knight.

Just because.

Posted

wait am I the only one that thought that Snake sucked?

Posted

Snake's standard A is a rapid fire move that can block Falcon Punches. Almost all of his attacks are finishers. He can coat the whole map in explosives. His recovery can bring him to the bottom of a map to the top of a map. He's pretty fast. His approaching moves (dash attack, upsmash slide) are extremely fast and hard to dodge. He falls relatively slow, and is heavy enough to recover when launched. etc. He's the secondmost overpowered character.

Also, Chase, if you're saying that because you want to [i]spite[/i] that they banned Meta Knight by beating us with him, then I think that's kind of silly. It's like, "Oh, I'm going to prove how dumb it is to ban Meta Knight by playing with him and beating you all and reaffirm how dumb it is to have banned Meta Knight lololol". You're only proving the point in banning him, to an extent, if you intend to win with him? If you intend to lose with him, then I don't know what you're even going for, here. If you try to use him against us, it wouldn't even really matter because we're not tournaments, and if you try to use him at tournaments, you will be stopped. I honestly don't know what you're trying to say. ):

All that being said about how easy it is to win with Meta Knight, I am quite below average with him. I just don't like the feel of his playstyle, and I don't want to spamnado forever. so

I'd totally be up for some Brawl if you guys are.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Don't be so serious Saha, lol. I told you, I don't use him, so I'm sure I wouldn't be good with him.

Link, Ike, and Marth are my mains. Im decent with Pikachu.

Posted

vote no on meta knight ban
a vote for meta knight is a vote for terror

Posted

I always find myself sticking with the middle tiers in these games. High enough not to be handicapped, low enough that you still need skill to win. I main with Ike in Brawl and Mario in melee.

Posted

Also Snake's hitboxes are pretty crazy, and his tilts are devastating

We should start our OWN brawl league. Only Hyrule tier characters.