Followers 0

Anime Night Suggestions Thread

93 posts in this topic

Posted

so anyway

if sahaqiel catches up with homestuck completely, we will watch interstella5555

otherwise idk

Posted

So, hey, remember when people never suggested Cencoroll at all. I do.

Anyway, Robot Carnival, Tekkonkinkreet, or Metropolis, choose one. Not another anime no one even suggested.

Seriously, That1Guy, stop. I'm actually annoyed by your severe ADD.

Posted

no i remember the suggestions. i just dont know which one to go with

Posted

If sahaqiel does not finish Homestuck by the end of the day we will watch robot carnival

I can't remember any other movies we saw in club except for Memories. I am certain i am missing some of them

Posted

Go with Tekkonkinkreet, t1g.

do eet

Posted

teto i already picked one from you so im going to go with muffin's before yours

Posted

well I'm actually backing up one of Muffin's choices

so

Posted

there wont be an anime night this week because of a karaoke party after club. plus i wouold have gotten back at like 9 anyway. thanksgiving break will probably have something though

Posted

there wont be an anime night this week either on account of skyward sword being a thing

Posted

I want to watch one of the pokemon movies next :)

Posted

Aside from the usual fantasia suggestion and illustionist/triplets of belleville and whatever else I've been pushing, I'm going to add one more animated american film to the list. The Thief and the Cobbler was a film that was in development for twenty eight years. It was supposed to be a cornerstone of hand drawn animation. But it wasn't quite ready on time for Warner Brothers Studios, and they dropped the funding, which screwed up parts of the production. Then it came out right around the time Disney's Aladdin did, and a lot of people called fowl play, because the two movies are pretty freaking similar until you realize one had been in production fifteen times longer, give or take. Here's a scene:

We all know I'm a sucker for these types of characters, and that bad guy looks like he was the basis for evil emporer zerg, but holy wow that hand drawn animation.

Posted

can i see where they called ripoff? yes. do i agree? nope. do the sudden dropout of quality moments bug me? yes, as much as they did in eva, if not more so. same with the occasional recycled footage. but would i watch this? yup.

this thing looks like redline had a child with eva, and it was raised by disneys second cousin. still looks good, though.

Posted

The drop offs of quality are just due to the youtube video. I think it's some kind of director's cut that's supposed to show all the scenes that didn't make it into the actual film for whatever reason. They're not in the actual film. But the quality of the animation is actually much higher than Disney's is.

And then here's the scene that everyone hates lol. Well they like the scene but they hate the musical number. Scene is funny. Song sucks not gonna lie. This is without the "quality drops."

www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=aPwHUdRL8Go

But yeah, what happened to this movie gets called "One of the great tragedies of cinema history."

Also here's this thing

I think we should watch it just saying

Posted

Also, just throwing out a random series here, but Tokyo Majin was p good....i just finished it. Earthy said the story was "hard to follow" due to its jumping around with no "btw this is a flashback" announcements, but imo, its p easy to pick up where on the timeline scenes are. also, its got some fun screenplay (although not as fun as saiyuki) and gore that is typically left out of this kind of anime. that giant monster you just beat to death? yeah, dont expect it to explode into sparkles and smoke and dust. not here. if it explodes, you better have an umbrella, cuz its just gonna rain monster guts like its supposed to.

and maybe we should have a pheos artistic cinema night, as his movies keep getting shot down due to them being non-japanese.

Posted

So here's this because I keep looking up stuff about this film without watching it.

For anyone who watched the video with the thieves singing and dancing really really stupidly, well apparently, here's what happened.

Robin WIlliams started production of this film in 1964 (predating yellow submarine), with intent for the film to be his masterpiece, and a milestone of animation. But because he had it independently funded, production went in and out for years until he found success from the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and got Warner Brothers studios to pay for the final production of the film. When the film wasn't completed on time, they dropped his funding. The movie was given to a different company and producer to finish, without Robin.

Some asshole named Fred Calvert who I currently hate squided up the movie with scenes like that, even changing voice roles. I'm trying to find somewhere online where I can figure out where the old movie ended and the bullshit began, but I'm pretty sure that first video I linked was what Robin envisioned compared to what got done, hence the quality drops. I'll look into this movie thoroughly, but later.

Mighty One-eye and his throne of bitches, aw yeeeee

Also apparently the plucky young protagonist in this movie was originally voiced by young sean connery, which was right around the same time he was doing the James Bond movies.