Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nintendo faces first annual loss in 30 years

23 posts in this topic

Posted

In what Nintendo is declaring is due to decreased sales, price reductions and a "challenging currency exchange" between the yen and the dollar, they are seeing their first annual loss since the end of its transitionary period with the release of Donkey Kong in 1981. Do you think this is a kick in the pants for Nintendo to realize they need to set a new goal and reacquire their old audience? Or perhaps will they accept the loss (as they had predicted) and bank on the Wii U to hold them up?

Full article here : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-27/nintendo-predicts-first-annual-loss-in-30-years-after-cutting-3ds-price.html

Posted

Moving to News and Reviews section, seems more appropriate there.

Poor Nintendo :x

Posted

i just hope they dont crash in a blaze of pain, somehow :P

personally, id love to see some better selection in games, ive played some japanese DS games that would /thrive/ in the US, or at least do/be better than all the cheap, dime-a-dozen movie games with the same bland levels and controls, ported to all systems :<

one of those "games i think would do well" is [url="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297625/reviewszombie-daisuki-review/"]Zombie Daisuki[/url] (Zombie Love, basically) the key feature being that you control an army of zombies to attack the humans in a tiny-cute-figure-thing artstyle. i mean, seriously, this is a hoard of zombies swarming a human:
[img]http://www.jeuxvideo24.com/screens/ds/22989/large/screenshots/226655_zombie-daisuki.jpg[/img]
sure, idk if itd capture the attention of all those COD-types or w/e, but theyre playing xbox anyway.

Posted

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me. The Wii's on its last legs without many notable upcoming games. Its weak hardware, while originally an asset for competitive prices, means most multi-platform games either don't come to Nintendo or else have crappy ports. The 3DS, on the other hand, is struggling to survive when most people have phones for their portable gaming, but so far there haven't been enough big titles exclusive to the 3DS.
I used to make excuses for Nintendo and think they'd get back on their feet, but after the hasty drop in price for the 3DS, I can't bring myself to do it. Honestly, if it doesn't do well the WiiU may just be Nintendo's last console, which makes me sad.

Posted

If they deserve to exist, then they'll find a way to exist. That's how it works. I was excited about the Wii U until I learned that only one of the cool controllers can be used at a time and there's not multi-touch capability. Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably have their controller use Double A batteries again.

Posted

you can only use one touch controller at a time? whaaaaaaaat the puppy.

now, if nintendo paired up with playstation, id be interested in the results--playstations shiny graphics and more potent hardware paired with nintendos knack for durability. nintendos ingenuity paired with playstations taste in games. something beautiful that overcomes playstation's systems fragility, and nintendos recent sense of bad taste.

but theyre both so big and prideful as companies, that the only way for that to happen is for one of them to drown and the other to semi-thrive and take over the first. and whoever thrives would basically decide what kind of systems were produced. namely, the worst case scenario would be something thats fragile like playstation, and with mediocre games executed half-heartedly on something that could have been revolutionary.

Posted

If you knew anything about Nintendo/Sony relations, Nintendo was actually slated to make a disc based system under a partnership with Sony. everything was set up to get running, but then Nintendo said lol nope and then made the Nintendo 64 behind Sony's backs. This is the only reason the Playstation under exclusive Sony make even exists. Not sure if they're still bitter about it.

Nintendo pretty much only gets by on their first party support in the US. It's kind of a shame.

As for the only one screen-controller at a time business, what the cocks. Link me your citations. That is just dumb, like, what. ):

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' timestamp='1319820643' post='367308']
If you knew anything about Nintendo/Sony relations, Nintendo was actually slated to make a disc based system under a partnership with Sony. everything was set up to get running, but then Nintendo said lol nope and then made the Nintendo 64 behind Sony's backs. This is the only reason the Playstation under exclusive Sony make even exists. Not sure if they're still bitter about it.
[/quote]

Technically, it was a disc-based add-on for the SNES to compete with Sega's "Sega CD" addon for the Sega Genesis. Sony got insofar as to get the basic gist of making game consoles and games, when Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back and paired up with Philips. Due to the relative failure of the Sega CD and the incoming fifth generation, Nintendo scrapped the idea altogether, but not without first having given property usage licenses to Philips, leading to the development of the Zelda CDI games and Hotel Mario. Sony used their acquired IP to develop the PlayStation, whose superior disc technology made programming much easier and production costs cheaper as well, many developers moving to Sony, which is what has dragged down Nintendo so much since the N64 era. Most of their "best" games have still been first party ideas, but in recent times they have been cashing in on the casual market with their Wii X titles and Nintendogs.

Posted

Nintendo and Apple should squid each other and then make a product

Posted

[quote name='Chimetals' timestamp='1319814236' post='367304']
playstations taste in games
[/quote]
When did this become a thing

Just squidding.

They have Resident Evil :/

You can't say kid-ding?

Posted

im a sucker for the rpg scene, or anything with a shiny anime cover. sometimes its bitten me in the ass, but every now and then i pick up something wonderful, like TWEWY, 999, or Glory of Heracles.

ugghhhhhhh not apple, anything but apple. if they paired up, i wouldnt be able to operate anything...i have a knack for being completely incompatible with apple products. ask sayu about that, i cant even drag a window across the screen with a mac touchpad.

Posted

Dark Souls, Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon, Gears of War 3, Shadow of the Colossus (and whatever that studio has been up to), are all games that appeal to me, and games that nintendo isn't making, or trying to. I also want to get into Ace Combat but that's not important. Right now, the only things keeping me hanging around with Nintendo are the Monster Hunter series and the Fire Emblem series. Since those are both made by third party studios (assuming intelligent systems counts), I'm wondering how long it will be until I just stop paying attention to Nintendo. Also, pikmin 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhP4iLolRk

See this? It looks beautiful, and fun, and oh man I want to play it so badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKJJ4EUDX6M&feature=sh_e_se&list=SL

And this, this game is so much fun. Story? Whats that? There are Giant ants and they want to kill you. There's your story. Go kill the giant ants.

Posted

Dark Souls is amazing, just beat it the other day.

The Wii U controller, as of right now, is going to be 1 per console. It's probably very expensive to make and they don't want to put people off by selling separate controllers for 99.99 or something. Anyway, they said it is capable of having multiple controllers, they just don't have plans for more than one right now.

Nintendo is going to do fine. My least favorite "exclusives" are Microsoft's. I barely care about Halo and Gears of War has great multiplayer with a decent story, so yeah Gears is really the only reason I own an Xbox. That and Alan Wake. Playstation has Uncharted, which is amazing, inFAMOUS, Team Ico, and Resistance, so I like it better than Microsoft. Uncharted alone is the reason I own a PS3, though. That and the free online. Nintendo, on the other hand, has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Monster Hunter, etc, etc. I could literally list a shit-ton of amazing Nintendo exclusives.

I'm not worried. Nintendo has a huge following and they make damn fine games. Even if they stop making hardware, that just means that their flagship titles will be on Sony/Microsoft consoles, which I will already own.

Posted

my problem with them possibly not making any more hardware is that from my experience, nintendo makes the most durable stuff on the market. every last nintendo system has outlived my xbox 360, which finally got the red ring of death last year, and i have full faith that i can chuck anything with "nintendo" on it against a wall, and it will still work.

imo, though, nintendo does need to step it up in the graphics department...i love them, but really, when you stick a screenshot from a ps3 or even just a 360 in front of me, im gonna have to confess that its working the graphics more than any of nintendos consoles. part of it, i think, is releasing their new system ahead of everyone else, but even within the same year, it just doesnt hold up against other systems. nintendo cant keep the attitude of "oh, well, mario will save us", because as new systems come out, and the prices increase, people are going to have to choose if they want to buy a system that has one exclusive series on it, or another system that has multiple titles that theyll play, and thats where nintendo is gonna get uncomfortable.

Posted

They're in the exact same position they were with the Wii.

It all just depends on the sheeple and if they'll jump on the bandwagon like they did with the Wii.