Followers 0

Teto's

109 posts in this topic

Posted

I usually just use my instagram for stuff now https://instagram.com/antlermath/

assorted things from recent-times

1. My fav life drawing I've done to date

2. Drawing out locations for DnD campaign

3. Illustration-y class. Playing about with lines and shapes in the face.

by3evEs.png

ygw4dHI.png

WjslixU.png

pheonix561 and Jareddude like this

Posted

Got my tablet working how it was meant to, and it's now a lot more comfortable to use. I'll post these things I did mostly just to ask how I can get better lines

zrQtogK.png

WvBXwpC.png

I don't really know if it's just me being new or what, but I find it hard to get a good quality of line. There's something overly sharp about the edges that bothers me.

And it wasn't until now that I realised I messed up the brush thickness. Oh well. It feels good to be able to draw with my tablet without getting really frustrated with it. At least now I just feel limited by my skill and knowledge of brush settings.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

How you do define "Good quality of line?" Maybe I can shed some light on whatever your problem is.

Posted

I dunno, the line just seems shaky and difficult to keep consistent. I feel like it's more a problem with my skill than anything else, since the more quickly I draw a line, the more natural it looks. The more aware I get of the stylus in relation to what happens on the screen, and my control of the stylus itself, the better my lines I guess. Right now though a lot of them just look unconfident in their subtle shakiness. I'm not sure if that's some kind of error that can be fixed with something like smoothing or whatever. It's not something you'd tend to notice as a viewer though maybe.

I dunno, it's the fact that I can see the inconsistency of curves and straight lines by the pixels in digital stuff that bothers me when compared to traditional. I'm too exact, and there's less to cover up error in digital art.

Posted

Draw with your arm, not your hand if it looks unnatural.

There are presets that allow your brushes to taper off with less pressure. It looks like you're not using that, but maybe you could?

Posted

I think it's just the brush that I've chosen doesn't have much variation for it's pressure sensitivity, and the fact I naturally press harder on the tablet, because it's hard to keep it at the right distance without losing contact with the surface altogether. Also, I'll try putting more of my gestures into the arm as well, since that sounds reasonable. Without having my hand in view while drawing it's harder to be aware of how little space it has. Practicing art is emotionally draining. There has to be more to life than constantly struggling to be competent at things. 

Really I'm just irritated and tired and hungry, like a baby. I suffer from baby problems. I've got very little patience for myself. I mean after renouncing hope I drew something I was somewhat proud of, if only because I was actually able to do it quite naturally, from memory. Although it's nothing special, I'll share it anyway for posterity.

CDnX6JsWEAEd63M.png

I'm going go back and just try and get acquainted with the tablet properly, by first drawing straight parallel lines without using stabilizing the pen by leaning my hand or arm on the tablet or table. That might be wildly unnecessary, but it seems like a reasonable way to start learning how to use this thing.

Maybe it's procrastination from actually being able to draw things, but I'll settle for trying to develop surgeon-level motor control.

Posted

07wmgC5.png

MS Paint is more relaxing to use. Maybe just because mistakes and imperfections are harder to detect.

It feels much better for sketching. Anything I sketch in photoshop feels like shit, because the program allows you to be capable of better, maybe. I dunno. I just prefer Paint.

Pizzza, Knuckle and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

Breakthrough numero uno: puppy the default photoshop brush. I didn't know changing the brush would make photoshop so much more tolerable to use. I think it was the permanence or wholeness of the lines that put me off, even when I decrease the opacity. Naturalistic looks are more my pace right now.

Now I can doodle.

CEB2h6CXIAASE6o.png

For whatever reason I just plain avoided being studious before. As if it should just come to me, or I should be able to conjure the ability from within myself to draw things that I know I recognise. In reality recognition isn't the same as knowing an object, so studying really is the only way. Taking the time to memorise and develop understanding of things. So yeah, I'm doing studies now. Starting like this:

Z1UifBk.jpg

9Nyd9YI.png

From here I'm thinking maybe I'll study artistic styles, after I'm confident I'm on a good track with studying facial structure. Build up a couple elements necessary before I can actually have fun, thus making practice a little more painless.

Pizzza and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

Starting to set myself a drawing quota. Today it's 10 dogs and 10 people. I've drawn 6 so far, but I'll try to respect my new regime and finish what I set myself to do today. Here are some dogs. My people drawings are all done but I'm less happy with them because they're pretty standard. So are these, but they're dogs, so.

Sa0QI3i.jpg

Mih9PSW.jpg

fOjTd9G.jpg

Pizzza and pheonix561 like this

Posted

These are really really great!

Posted

Still drawing

CM9ono8WgAAYlvL.jpgCLvNjUYWoAAXud7.jpg

Not drawing as consistently well as these, but it's going well enough. Start my next course of study on Tuesday.

Pizzza, Michael, Knuckle and 1 other like this

Posted

I actually hate that I apparently haven't responded to anything here for a while now, because a lot of this stuff is really good and well done. You're making great progress!

Teto likes this

Posted

oh wow, this is pretty good stuff, i like it a lot

Teto likes this

Posted

Thanks folkies :)

Hand study I did today in class kind of upped my confidence in straight up pencil drawing. Looking at it again now, I'm totally not worried about my progress.

vt3de5G.jpg

Michael and pheonix561 like this

Posted

That looks really nice :D