Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEKLY Would You Like To Improve The Forum In Time For Skyward Sword?

50 posts in this topic

Posted

In the past, we have definitely molded Hyrule.net into our image. We only have one Zelda subforum that none of us want to discuss in because we feel like we've burnt out our capacity to discuss things in there. Despite it being very unfriendly towards new people, and making us more of a "young people discussing things" forum, we had no qualms changing the layout into what it is today, and even had some complaints about the changes made to the site that prioritized Zelda over our massive amount of miscellaneous discussion. Our site has really fell from power as a combination of many factors, the most prominent being our Webmaster, Dustin, leaving the site. Since the lifeblood of our forum has left, the main page fell into decay, the forum suffered a similar fate, and there is hardly anyone left with the skill, time, and motivation to restore our forum into a more friendly place. Likewise, our forum became optimized for our own tastes, rather than for the people who come expecting a good Zelda site, and the new people who do come tend to be ridiculed or expected to change, because we hold to a belief that they make our site a worse place. We once got the Zelda community award for best community. That was when all the veteran members were still new, just like everyone else. Before we started to develop a social system. Now we have absolutely no chance for the title. ZeldaDungeon's community beats ours, and I'm fairly sure they have the highest amount of "annoying people" in their chat.

Our standards have definitely fallen. But we still have time until Skyward Sword releases. At the very least, with my own power, I can rearrange the forum to be more Zelda-friendly, but this might cause discomfort, even though some of you minimize the Zelda forums anyway. It might include shrinking of the other forums that are more entertainment-based, the ones that we visit most often. I will try to work on sprites so we can stop having default icons for everything that just make the board look ugly.

And please, those who really want us to succeed, consider taking time out to write guides. Maybe when Skyward Sword comes out, but please do other guides as well, one at a time. People often come looking for help, and those with the best maps are more likely to get people seeking them out. There are plenty of things you do to waste time that are less important, I assure you. Use that time for this instead. Get an emulator if you have to. Take screenshots of areas, items, etc. etc. Explain things clearly. Make them as in depth as you can little by little. Take notes on what the NPCs say about specific monsters, even. You don't have to claim one Zelda exclusively to write a guide for; maybe people enjoy one person's writing style over another. Give them choices. I can edit them for you if you want.

You could even write perspective or analysis articles on various aspects of the Zelda series. (If you try this, make sure to do your research)

Regardless of whether or not you want improve the site, I'll be trying. Not so much in the way of guide making, because I have the power to change the layout and would rather I do something that's exclusive to Tappy and I. Please try and keep us from becoming a dead site. It'll be retribution if it happens, surely. But we can prevent it from happening.

Posted

Your guide thing actually sounds like a great idea! I'm not too great with writing guides though. Do you have any other suggestions?

Posted

Well, Phanta, you're more art oriented, so you could try to do layout stuff, possibly for an extra theme to the site based on one game or another.

Posted

I have been waiting over a year for this kind of attitude to really kick the forum. Let's do this guys. I - and I have noticed Cascade is too - am taking measures to actually act like mods and I think it's fair to say we'll definitely start moderating a little tougher. If it seems like we have /some/ structure around, then I feel like people will feel more inclined to join rather than trying to become part of this cliquey forum we've become.

Posted

i remember when i was a kid, and wrote guides....im not too skilled with that, though, and it doesnt help that im able to figure out enough puzzles on my own, and look up the rest myself :< ill see if i can figure out something, though.

id like to see new members, though, especially ones thatll stick around longer. maybe i should try fanart, idk. im not too good with things like layout :<

Posted

I've already started to write an info page for Skyward Sword I told Tappy already, too.

Posted

It feels strange saying this, but I don't care either way. I used to be big on posting in the General Zelda Discussion (dare I say, more interested than all of you put together given how many topics that I made) and now I don't really care to anymore. As for letting more people into the forums, it's not really something I have a problem against as long as they can put up with everyone already here.

Of course I could be wrong. Maybe this is something we need to try for the good of the site? Heck, if new members start showing up I may even start posting new topics again.

Posted

I'll write some guides. Just let me know where to put them. Also, Phanta, we could work together on this.

Posted

I'm basically agreeing with what Cirt said, yes, this forum is horribly cliquish, yes, we ARE definitely going to mod tougher, we've been too lenient for a while now and structure/organisation is nice! Really! Also I don't understand why everyone is so frightened of newblood. :x

I'll write a guide for Majora's Mask if that helps. It'll take years for me to finish though, but expect a distinct "cascadish" (scottish slang) style throughout the whole thing, though that should be appropriate for the Most Diehard Majora's Mask Fan on this forum right? :zelda:

Posted

I could write one for Wind Waker, ocarina of time, or Spirit Tracks, if you like. My favorites. :)

Posted

Yes, more Zelda & layout, and no.
Hoping these changes will happen! C:

Posted

How I'd arrange the forum personally

Zelda and game section - News, Zelda discussion, gaming discussion, forum games and werewolf (think having more thing surrounding the zelda forums will drive more attention towards it?)

Creative section - Art, fan fiction, and role playing

General section - Lobby and newbie guides/help thread, Open floor, Entertainment, Serious Discussion / Rants & Raves, Wild West (only viewable by selected members?)

Staff

also lol I haven't even read this thread so idk if better layout suggestions have been made

Posted

im not much of a writer but i have oracle of seasons memorized to perfection

Posted

I would rather you actually play the game and take notes lol.
Also, Jared, one game at a time, please. Focus on getting one done, then going on to the next.

Posted

Saha what do you think of my layout idea?
Also what about people who aren't really all that into Zelda? What can we do?