Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Musicians

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone here play/write music just for fun? I was in my school's orchestra from the 6th to 12th grades, and loved every minute of it. I played the bass (contrabass, upright bass, string bass, tons o' names), the lowest instrument of the orchestra. My section was the foundation of the sound. We were the loudest, and the proudest. My friend Mitchell and I had a saying, "More bass", which was like a motto for us.

This meant that I only had to learn bass clef for reading music. I'd learned a little bit of treble in the 4th grade, from the recorder, but I barely remembered it. This poses a small problem, as it means I don't know how to read the majority of written music :/ Including piano, which I enjoy playing.

The song I've been playing on my keyboard most recently is Deku Tree's Last Words. I love to play it, so much.

The instruments I own are:

a 6 string acoustic guitar,

a 12 string electric-acoustic guitar,

a 6 string electric guitar,

a 4 string electric bass,

a

(most difficult thing ever),

a recorder olol,

an electric keyboard,

an ocarina (though I've misplaced it)

I've been playing zelda songs since the 4th grade, on that frikkin recorder, olol. It had my name engraved.

I actually spent the time, figuring out with the help of the game (Link on screen, ocarina in hand), which notes in game correspond to which notes in real life. I think the first song I learned to play was Serenade of Water. I still love that song.

Man, looking back at that post. loooong.

Posted

Long but interesting.

I don't play any instrument, I have been lazy to even make a decent progress with a guitar.

two years already and I still cannot master 'Wonderwall' by oasis, that ought to give you an idea, four cords, easy move of fingers and I can't coordinate enough.

However, my room mate does, he has a passion for music and likes composing and playing songs, some afternoons it can be a blast to have him going crazy on the harmonica and guitar.

Posted

I've always had a love for music. It's in pretty much every aspect of my life. I have my iPod playing almost constantly through the use of my iHome, so I can listen to my tunes when I sleep.

Posted

Dark One this is so interesting, I never knew this about you and we've been bros for how long? lol

Also happy you're using the forums more now :>

Ganny get in here

Posted

Another musician. Groovy! I play for fun, write music, etc. Instruments I own

4 string electric bass

6 String acoustic guitar (Montana, some model I can't decipher)

6 String Electric guitar (Strat style, it's a knock off)

6 String Electric guitar (Looks like an Ibanez, but it's not... I actually have it in my arms as I am typing this!)

A ukulele. It's probably my favorite, besides my acoustic.

2 recorders in different keys.

Two harmonicas in different keys.

An old Casio keyboard from the 70's / 80's, it belonged to my uncle. So polyphonic! :D

A MusicMan midi controller. Works great with FL Studio, but I have no room for it.

A tambourine.

I can't read music for the life of me, though. :<

What I want - A mandolin. So nice. So folky. ;__;

Posted

There's a lot of stuff you guys don't know about me :<

I just never figure out how to say anything.

My 6 string acoustic is a J. Reynolds Dreadnought (I love that name so much)

My 6 string electric is a Squier Bullet Strat

My bass is a Squier P-Bass

my 12 string is, well, unknown. It was cheap, and the only marking on it is a sticker in the body that has a serial number and says Made In China :/

Theremin's a B3? I think

Keyboard's a Casio

Posted

I tried to get a music minor in piano or composition when I came to this school. I've always been interested in music, and didn't want to force it to take a backseat to my art. But because my university has a very prestigious music program, it's very strict about how to become a major or minor in anything, and I can't get a minor in composition here. So I've taken to writing my own music on my own time, though I've been very skeptical about actually writing music on a DAW because I don't know how to produce music. How to take a song and make it really sound finished. My friend Steve tells me he can help me with that though, so I think I'm going to take a more serious look at what I'm doing now than I have been.

I have over ten years of piano playing experience under my belt with very little music theory to go with it because I'd been too stupid to care about it until recently, and I've taught myself very minimally to play the guitar. Experiences in highschool drove me to leave playing the trumpet behind, but I'd love owning one again, especially now that I have my braces off.

Posted

I had almost actually been a band member, olol

The instrument I wanted to try first at our middle school's tryouts was the clarinet. I really liked the smooth sound. I tried some of the woodwinds, eh.

Then I went to the orchestra section.

The cello was the first thing to catch my eye. I love cello. So much. I tried it. I was like "Man, this is so cool. Just a little uncomfortable, though." I went to sign up for it, but the teacher, Mrs. Fournier, stopped me. She asked me, "Would you like to try the bass? You see, there a lot of cellos, but not one person has signed up for the bass."

I looked at the sheet, and yeah, there were like 14 cellos. 0 basses.

So I gave it a shot. The other instructor, Mrs. Winter, brought out the bass. Together, they showed me the notes to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. The bow in my hand was heavy, but felt great. The strings felt powerful. The notes were deep, and ringing.

I had found my instrument.

That was in the 5th grade. (Signups happen a quarter year before the next, so they can get all the instruments they need)

6th through 10th, I was pretty secluded. Not many people want to be friends with the fat kid :/ I had some, though, and they were enough. Especially the Orchestra. I have a few friends today I met in the 6th grade, in that huge room. We've literally grown up together. The orchestra was so close, like a family. Graduating High School was one of the saddest things to happen to me, solely for the orchestra.

That made me sad, writing that down. I really miss it.

olol, I have no experience with piano.

My favorite pitch is D, by the way

Posted

My high school apparently used to have an orchestra. We don't anymore, but there are still, like, five violins sitting untouched in the instrument cubbies.

I need me one of them violins...

also I play the trombone. I can play various songs like Lost Woods, the Back to the Future theme, and Cupcakes.

currently learning to play winter wrap up. and ghosts n stuff.

Posted

I

am a purple-belt music theorist !!!

but yeah no, I spent a lot of time in high school on Wikipedia learning about chords and modes and a little bit of twelve-tone and neoclassicism, and then I moved on to things like Schoenberg's Harmonielehre. I used to be hardcore into studying species counterpoint, but I was never all that good at counterpoint; I'm getting interested now in rhythm, which was never one of my strong suits, so I'll probably study a lot about odd meter and polyrhythms.

It follows that I've done a bit of composing; nothing very good at all, but I like to make things that sound nice. I've experimented with ambient music. Mostly I use Cubase or Finale SongWriter for that stuff.

I play a few instruments, but I'm not very good. I've played violin on and off for ten years and am still terrible at it. I taught myself guitar last summer, and I'm good enough that I can play some modern songs I like, which is mostly what that was for. I've begun teaching myself piano on a keyboard I brought to college. Piano's probably my favorite instrument yah

Posted

My favorite's my guitars.

I can play

on my bass, and it is so fun.

I'm hopefully getting a Boss GT6 for Christmas. It's gonna be so cool.

Posted

I have a guitar. I also have no idea how to play it and no time for lessons.

I might have to get that "Rocksmith" whatchamacallit I keep hearing about on the moving picture box

Posted

I want it too.

It looks kind of confusing, but I'm sure it would be pretty fun.

I always seem to forget how many songs I can play :<

I just pick up my guitar and play. Like this morning, I just started playing and I began to play Zora's Domain, olol

I learned it like a year ago, and it's one of my favorite songs to play.

My favorite is, and always will be, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Vxg05271I. Fingerpicking, woo!

Posted

My roommate has a BossGT6, and he's done some really cool stuff with it. He only plays guitar, but he plays it really well.

I'm a musician myself, and I have more instruments than I know how to play. My list:

4-string acoustic bass (my first bass, just a Dean)

4-string electric bass (Epiphone EB-3, hoping to upgrade to an actual Gibson sometime next summer)

5-string banjo (Fender, fairly standard)

Piano

Mandolin

Assorted percussion (djembe, homemade cajon, cheap drum kit that I'm bad at)

------------

Lap steel

6-string acoustic guitar

Zither (needs new strings)

The things above the line are the things I can actually play. Below the line...not so much. The guitar is because I just never got around to learning, and the other two need repair before I can learn.

I'm getting a Behringer BSY600 pedal for Christmas, so I'm planning on doing some strange stuff with it. I'm at college now, so I only have my two basses and my banjo, but I'm hopefully bringing back my mandolin after Thanksgiving. I'm glad my dorm is big enough that I have room for my instruments. Oh, and my amp. I have an Acoustic B100 bass amp sitting by my desk, and when I crank that thing up, you really can't hear anything else. I try not to do that for the sake of my neighbors.

Posted

I have an Alto Sax. Been playing it for a few years now, she's such a sexy beast.