Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Congress proposes that pizza is a vegetable

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Not sure if this is really SD, but I thought this was interesting and actually a bit comical.

Who needs leafy greens and carrots when pizza and french fries will do?

Congress wants pizza and french fries to stay on school lunch lines and is fighting the Obama administration's efforts to take unhealthy foods out of schools.

The final version of a spending bill released late Monday would unravel school lunch standards the Agriculture Department proposed earlier this year. These include limiting the use of potatoes on the lunch line, putting new restrictions on sodium and boosting the use of whole grains. The legislation would block or delay all of those efforts.

The bill also would allow tomato paste on pizzas to be counted as a vegetable, as it is now.

SDA had wanted to only count a half-cup of tomato paste or more as a vegetable, and a serving of pizza has less than that.

Nutritionists say the whole effort is reminiscent of the Reagan administration's much-ridiculed attempt 30 years ago to classify ketchup as a vegetable to cut costs. This time around, food companies that produce frozen pizzas for schools, the salt industry and potato growers requested the changes and lobbied Congress.

School meals that are subsidized by the federal government must include a certain amount of vegetables, and USDA's proposal could have pushed pizza-makers and potato growers out of the school lunch business.

Piling on to the companies' opposition, some conservatives argue that the federal government shouldn't tell children what to eat. In a summary of the bill, Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee said the changes would "prevent overly burdensome and costly regulations and ...provide greater flexibility for local school districts to improve the nutritional quality of meals."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/17/pizza-as-vegetable-congress-proposes-new-school-lunch-bill/#ixzz1e4kVNHeg

Taken from Fox news (lol) but what do you guys think?

I know in my old high school, pizza was always an option, but about halfway through senior year they split it so that you can't get pizza and fries at the same time. The amount of protests the students put up was actually admirable (I usually brought my lunch so it wasn't quite applicable to me) but they weren't able to overturn the decision. The students had originally thought it was the school's decision, but it was just that my high school was the first around the area to start making unhealthy options void due to the new nutrition guidelines.

The problem is, the education budget keeps getting cut more and more, and without that money there is not only a lower output of student performance due to classroom dynamics, but the money to purchase quality, actually "healthy" food for school lunches isn't really there. The kids will still be eating highly processed crap and still really gaining the same weight even if they were eating pizza and french fries together all the time. For some reason, I keep seeing the future generation as a bunch of obese, idiotic American retards :< basically our stereotype, no? However, I do like the fact they're trying to advocate for more whole grains, because from what I recall, pretty much any bread product in school lunches was white bread. Yuck.

Posted

What's silly is that tomatoes aren't vegetables in the first place; they're fruits because they have seeds, like apples and sausage. So technically there aren't any vegetables in pizza in the first place

It is possible to make healthy pizza even, which is really a matter of not smothering it in grease, but that's not really the school's decision since they buy frozen things in bulk from other places. Pizza MANUFACTURERS.

I've gone to private school all my life, so the government couldn't interfere with our pizza issues. In elementary/middle, there'd always be two lunch choices, one for the normal (fat) people and one for the abnormal (abnormal) people, which was usually a fancy salad or a fancy bagel or a sandwich or something. In high school, there wasn't as much of a choice, since we were catered by a company that plotted to fatten us up and slaughter us by the dozen when we were plump enough

now I'm in college and I eat everything

Posted

now I'm in college and I eat everything

yeahhhhhhhhh

Posted

I thought it was kinda funny, made me laugh on my way to work this morning.

I don't really know why this is even a matter for congress.

Posted

last year my school tried to replace french fries with these disgusting sweet-potato fries.

They were orange and terrible.

also they replaced all the powerade with nasty powerade zero.

Posted

Nice one. I can tell mum I am eating my daily doses of veggies without technically being a liar.

You know, I know tomato is a not a veggie, but it still haven't sunk through. I didn't realise how dumb the suggestion was if based on the tomato sauce until I read the comment about it being a fruit.

Posted

eda where did the music for that video come from I MUST KNOW

Posted

last year my school tried to replace french fries with these disgusting sweet-potato fries.

They were orange and terrible.

also they replaced all the powerade with nasty powerade zero.

to be fair, the sweet potato fries at my college are actually really popular. and tasty.

not from america whut. so, more international members? wheres she from?

Posted

eda where did the music for that video come from I MUST KNOW

apparently its from Skyward Sword

Posted

Tomatoes are practically vegetables. And I mean "practically" literally. We use them as vegetables, they taste like vegetables, ergo they are vegetables. Again with stupid labels that everyone follows religiously.

Anyway, why is congress even messing with this? So stupid.

Posted

fight child obesity and such, most likely.

but i figure theyll get caught up in the red ribbons and funding again, and kids will get fatter and have heart attacks at the age of 15.

Posted

child obesity pisses me off.

mostly because I can eat about twice my weight in food and somehow only gain 3 pounds, which I lose over the next few days.

Posted

Tomatoes are practically vegetables. And I mean "practically" literally. We use them as vegetables, they taste like vegetables, ergo they are vegetables. Again with stupid labels that everyone follows religiously.

Anyway, why is congress even messing with this? So stupid.

They taste like fruit to me. The watery, juicy insides, the texture of the flesh, everything about it screams "fruit". What vegetables do tomatoes taste like?

Posted

Tomatoes are too bland and meaty to be a fruit. You will never see one in a fruit salad.

Try and put ranch on an apple. Disgusting, right? Same for pears, plums, bananas, oranges, pineapples, etc.

Now put ranch on a carrot. Good, right? Same for celery, cucumber, radish, potatoes, etc.

Ranch is awesome on tomatoes. Hell, it's even good on pizza.

You would never, ever serve tomatoes with other fruits and it functions perfectly fine as a vegetable.