Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword General

272 posts in this topic

Posted

Get your head in the clouds and talk about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the Zelda game that is pretty much all the Zelda games!

WARNING. This thread may contain spoilers. To check this thread is to welcome them, so be wary.

Discuss the game here.

I'll begin by listing some stuff we know about from the demo and trailer:

• Link is wielding the Master Sword and a Hylian Shield. Whether or not this is the "Skyward Sword" mentioned in the subtitle, is unknown.
  • The game's graphical style is a median between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, sporting more realistically proportioned/shaped character design in a cel shaded environment.
  • There is a fantasy inspired forest area, with large mushrooms.
  • There is a fire dungeon that has Wind Waker-esque lava plumes from the dungeon found on Dragon Roost Island, and somewhat Sky Temple-like pillars from Twilight Princess.
  • There is 1:1 sword motion control.
  • You can shoot sword beams by pointing the sword straight up and charging the attack.
  • There is a vertical spin attack, in addition to the horizontal one, during which Link does a flip.
  • Some enemies can only be defeated by slashing them in a certain direction.
  • Returning items include the bow, slingshot, bombs, and the whip.
  • The bow is now controlled by moving both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuck.
  • Bombs may now be "bowled" underhand.
  • A new item, referred to as the "beetle", was revealed, which is controlled by remote to move or retrieve items, including bombs.
  • The inventory is a Twilight Princess-style circular pattern, and selection is controlled by rotation of the Wii Remote. In the demo, there were eight slots.
  • Link can now run by holding A, and roll by shaking the nunchuck.
  • Bokoblins, Deku Scrubs, and Stalfos make returns.
  • There is a scorpion-like boss that is defeated by slashing the eyes in its claws in a certain direction.
  • To unlock certain doors with eyes on them, you must rotate your sword until the eye becomes dizzy and falls off.
  • There appears to be a stamina meter, which decreases when Link runs or uses certain attacks (spin attack, etc.), and is filled by staying still or walking.
  • Rupees are fat. Like, goodness, how do Rupees end up being so fat?

Duseindunlids likes this

Posted

I don't like the new rupees. They're really ugly to me. Hope they change them. AND I HOPE LINK CAN BE A LEFTY.

And I like how Link can run now, like in the beginning of TP when he gets pulled into the Twilight. Gonna have fun with that. Who's with me?

Posted

Who else thinks Link's running animation is super intense? Like it just looks fun to run around, literally.

So I'm looking forward to that.

Like really, it looks amazing to run in that game. It makes up for the Spinner, even.

I still can't get over how fat Rupees are.

They are not supposed to be like that.

Like wtf.

Ever see Tingle handle a Rupee?

Yeah, he's always holding it in his palm, examining it with his little jewel thing.

With this, he has to hold it on the flat of his palm or on a table with a little ladder, because they are so unbelievably faaat.

Goodness.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I know right? I love the running hate the rupees.

In Skyward Sword, Link is a boy born in a floating land among the clouds called Skyloft. Some sort of incident early in the game interrupts Link's placid existence and makes him aware of a land that exists beneath the clouds, one that's pervaded by danger and evil. Link naturally becomes too curious to resist traveling to this lower world, and it sounds like you'll be traveling back and forth between Skyloft and the land below (Hyrule?) throughout the game. The eponymous Skyward Sword is the tool you'll use to do that.

^^This is real.

Posted

I wonder if this Skyloft place has anything to do with the sky place in Minish Cap? (I can't remember the exact name)

Posted

Running is cool. Rupees are bad. Plot looks like it could be excellent. Same with graphics. Not very many items.

Posted

I wonder if this Skyloft place has anything to do with the sky place in Minish Cap? (I can't remember the exact name)

You mean Cloud Tops right.

Still loving the graphics. : )

Posted

Who isn't loving the graphics? YLA says the game isn't too bad (besides the graphics)

Posted

How can I rip on it? I know nothing about it. All I know is that the controls look more difficult.

Posted

How can I rip on it? I know nothing about it. All I know is that the controls look more difficult.

Posted

Well looking back, YLA, you ripped on Spirit Tracks for having trains, and you ended up loving it.

See, I expected sort of the opposite of this, but not really.

I was expecting they'd make the game styled around Toon Link in Brawl, where the characters are toon styled, but the graphics are rendered realistically. I would've loved that, because goodness, that style would have been pretty awesome looking, but this is fine too.

I would rather not reread the bit about the "sky loft", because I fo shorious don't want to spoil anything for myself. (Yet here I am, in a thread likely to be full of them)

But whatever, I'll just try to be real careful.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Well looking back, YLA, you ripped on Spirit Tracks for having trains, and you ended up loving it.

Sahaqiel

B-b-b-b-b-b *random gibberish of the letter 'b'* But I didn't love it. You keep twisting what I say around. T_T

Besides I'm trying to stay spoiler free from this game at all costs. If I'm going to play it at all I might as well not have a clue what's going on.

Posted

I didn't twist anything around. It's exactly what you said.

I love Spirit Tracks. It is a great game.

Posted

I didn't say that. I said it was an ok game.

Posted

Whatever you say, bro.

Anyways, who's looking forward to that game which is coolio and cel shaded.