Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword General

272 posts in this topic

Posted

It's not like they're going to half-ass a game with Ganon, Link and Zelda all in it; there'd be outrage.

Twilight Princess

One thing I am really looking forward to in the game, however, is the relationship between Link and Zelda. LxZ fans exist ofc, but I've never really thought 'I ship these two, they're adorable together.' SS seems to be putting it forward a bit more and making it more apparent.

Or maybe your fangirl genes are acting up. ):

Posted

Oh yeah, I saw that video. Ghirahim takes off his clothes and grabs Link's sword. I predict yaoi. Gigabytes upon gigabytes of yaoi.

Anyways, I heard Ghiraham's character design was done by the same guy who designed Vaati.

Posted

Except hopefully he's not a whiny lame origin character and actually has some depth and/or a cooler origin.

"Oh I took the all powerful hat.

It was on the table.

I just grabbed it and put it on.

Now I'm dark. I also have an eye tattoo.

I turn into bats."

And he doesn't take off his clothes. Just his cloak thing?

Sahaqiel

Posted

I never said he took off all his clothes.

Posted

Twilight Princess

Or maybe your fangirl genes are acting up. ):

False, TP was good stuff. Short, but good.

Or, as I said before, they're making it more apparent. They're going past the usual 'save the princess and thus save Hyrule' with this idea, along with the fact that Zelda isn't even a princess (which, alone, is treading thin ice. Not in my opinion really though; its just different).

And lol, there's going to be subtleties with Ghirahim's 'approaches' definitely.

He'll just be forever fabulous.

(And yeah, just his cloak. Which kind of disappears into diamonds or something similar to how he teleports).

Posted

The definition of "half-ass" probably means "to halfheartedly enact a plan in order to complete something, producing a disappointing, lazy, often defective product". TP was all of those things. They planned to have probably twice as much content, and cut it down by a whole lot. The plot was uninspired. "Zant is a cool villain, then suddenly becomes a whiny baby, freaks out, then Ganondorf turns out to be the main villain out of nowhere. Zant is then popped like a balloon nonchalantly because no one likes him". The characters were all lacking in any kind of depth or character (most surprisingly, Zelda was probably the least... characterized) Midna is the exception of course, but that's because she literally lives in your shadow. Immersion was cut in favor of "They probably won't think of that". For instance, King Bulbin sided with you near the end of TP, but the Bulbins still attack you and King Bulbin never helps you out in any times of need in any other area other than to give you a small key. Like, he couldn't have helped you out during the Ganondorf battle on horseback? How cool would that be? Bulbins on hogs clashing with the [unexplained] ghostly horsemen, while Zelda and King Bulbin lower Ganondorf's guard so you can hit him with your sword? "They probably won't think of that". Like how none of the Twili talk, despite the fact that Zant and Midna speak fluent Hylian, apparently.

The dead mechanics weren't even cleaned up right. (You can still get green potion; magic meter appeared on the back of the case) The ones that worked were at times, visibly not thought through enough. (You can do the fancy sword sheath thing for Deku Babas, some of the most basic enemies in the game, but not for Darknuts, which were each their own minibosses. Also, howling. Worst musical instrument in all of Zelda) The items were largely completely useless, especially the Slingshot, which becomes obsolete after about five enemy kills. The game is easily the easiest in the whole series. Rupees threw themselves at you as if they had hemophilia and their chests were made of razors. Like collecting Poes? Oh, well, the end result is that your wallet gets filled. I totally needed that, thanks! The only reason for this was for a piece of armor that people hardly use anyway. Or even if they do, it just makes the game easier. Like, toddler easy.

Oh. And remember the huge, expansive landscape that WW had, that was so large and full of content, you had to use a boat to see it all? Twilight Princess was like that, only with a huge, empty, barren field with sad or unexciting music, and a horse.

Alluding to the "not thinking things through" enough bit, or "not working on it as much as they could have", I'll talk about Epona, the horse that is also a silent character. We've been waiting to see if she has a take on Link's adventures, or if she's just along for the ride, or if she has a snarky personality, or whatever. What do we get when we talk to her? One sentence. Telling you, essentially, to change back into a human so you'll stop talking to her. The sentence never wavers even once. That's all she says. A one-trick pony, so to speak.

I could rant more, but in conclusion, Twilight Princess started out kind of ambitious. But at the end of the day, actual progress was stunted in favor of porting it to the Wii and getting it on shelf by the Wii's launch time. It's evident that it was more ambitious, by all the interviews and trailers that showed all these interesting things. But Twilight Princess is a half assed Ocarina of Time clone that didn't even fully succeed at that. It's still a good game, but it's not a good ZELDA game. While I don't prefer Phantom Hourglass, TP is still one of the worst Zeldas to date, when you look at it under the microscope.

Also, I'm surprised you haven't made a connection with the Gilded Sword from MM to his cloak's appearance. Though it doesn't make any sense that he'd be the personification of the Gilded Sword, I think it should be noted that the particle effect he uses for teleportation is almost step-for-step the same effect as Midna and the Twili's.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Yeah I don't think I can handle how homoerotic this new yaoi bait antagonist is. I mean, I can, but the fact that there's going to be such a flood of gay sex between him and really everyone else in the series, not looking forward to it.

Posted

Who said Ganon/dorf wasn't in SS? I thought it wasn't confirmed?

Posted

I certainly hope he's not in SS.

Posted

Yeah I don't really want to see Ganon ever again in a Zelda game I can't lie. :<

Also lol pheo, definitely writing some Ghirahim/KoRL smut for you to worship ;>

Posted

Ganon needs to be in the HD Zelda that will inevitably come on the Wii U. And I really really REALLY hope that it's what Twilight Princess should have been. Dark, mysterious, gigantic world map, tons of towns, tons of unique items, at least 6 or so unique dungeons (forest, fire, and water should never be done again like they were in OoT and TP) and a shit-ton of side quests. I mean, I literally want to see over 30 unique, original side quests. And a trading game. A good trading game, which gives you something awesome like a new sword or a flying cucco or something.

And can we please bring some humor into the game, along with the darkness? I LOVED Majora's Mask, but I kind of wish there had been a little more humor, like in Link's Awakening or in Wind Waker. The game needs to be serious, but it doesn't have to be serious all the time.

But here I am talking about every other game but Skyward Sword. I'm looking forward to the game, sure, but I don't expect it to be as good as, say, Wind Waker. But here's to hoping *raises glass*.

Posted

Saha you make good points, but I have to AT LEAST make a rebuttal against WW's vast world created.

Yes that is one huge amount of Hyrule to cover, moreso using a boat.

But I couldn't tell you how many times I was bored out of my skull just sailing

and sailing

and sailing some more.

Sure it was big, but it needed more than ocean and some canons being thrown at you until you get to islands.

(And I liked TP's Field music. :c TP's OST in general was great).

Posted

Yes, but at least everything wasn't brown. TP bored me more in that there was hardly any actual explorable content. WW had mini dungeons all over the place, and at least the music was upbeat. There were like three? Mini dungeons? In Twilight Princess? Maybe? Then a bunch of grottoes to make the wolf mechanic not seem as useless as it actually is, and to throw more Rupees your way. The field was just barren. And brown

Which brings me to a point I didn't touch on: TP was seriously an attempt to reclaim Western audiences. The realistic style, I mean. I'm not saying I want there to never be another realistic Zelda, but after Wind Waker, Nintendo needed to snap their fingers in front of the Western audience, as if to say they're still there. It's sad, but it actually worked. When you see a typical American "fan" of Zelda from the newer generation, they'll typically say they've only played one or two games. Twilight Princess. Or Ocarina of Time. It was a sellout tactic. I am ashamed of TP.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Like seriously, did you see how he wagged his tongue in that video after he put his face right up on link's neck? How many adolescents do you think saw that and blushed?