Is it just me?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Is it just me or does the Razor Sword look too heavy for Link to carry and use?:

Link_and_the_Razor_Sword.png

Posted

Maybe it's made of a really light material/is super thin, like razors should be? Or maybe Link is just stronger than he looks.

But really, who even cares about logic?

Cloud%20Strife.jpg

Posted

Looks like it?

Posted

im more interested as to why link feels the need to run with the biggorons sword right in front of him. i cant use that sword with a serious face, simply because all i can think of is "look guise, im running with scissors!"

alternatives to the scissors is dowsing, or no wait he just looks stupid. i mean, sure, he cant swing it with only one hand, but could he at least carry it with one hand, even if he has to drag it on the ground?

Posted

maybe its because thats a proper way to hold a greatsword?

Posted

dead in front of you and straight up like a kid with scissors?

id at least hold it to the side, even if its with both hands. and angled down.

then again, link doesnt have any formal sword training in OoT, so should i be surprised? not really, i guess, but youd think the guy would have some common sense about sharp pointy things.

Posted

I feel like holding a sword that big infront of you is the proper way but meh.

Posted

The dowsing might make him look like Inigo Montoya. "Guide my sword..." Could look dramatic and cool until you run into a tree.

I think really huge swords tend to just look ridiculous, especially when the person in question is on foot. On horseback you need the added length to actually reach your enemies, and the extra weight is easier to deal with, since you're in a saddle and can use your whole body to swing the sword without going off-balance. The other exception is if there's an equally big guy swinging the huge sword, but at that point he could be swinging a dildo and still look terrifying.

On the other hand, I guess the giant swords kind of work in video games, since everything is over-the-top enough that having an oversized sword doesn't take you out of that willing suspension of disbelief.

Another impractical thing I notice a lot in video games is the back scabbard. It can be useful, especially for longer swords that would otherwise drag on the ground, and you don't have to deal with a scabbard flopping around at the character's side. But what bugs me is that they're usually full scabbards, or invisible (which makes sense in RPGs I guess, where the outfits and equipment change so frequently that designing scabbards would be a waste of time). Have you ever tried to unsheath a sword that's in a full scabbard on your back? It's incredibly awkward and time-consuming. Between the full scabbard and the shield on his back, it's a wonder Link can get his sword out at all, let alone in the half-second it takes to hit a keese.

Posted

The Master Sword has always been way too long to draw out of a scabbard, or sheath for that matter. If you notice, he actually slices through the scabbard when he draws or sheaths it.

Two handed sword probably aren't meant to be held right in front of your face, especially if they're double-edged. If you can imagine someone locking swords with him, pushing his sword towards Link's face. Yeah. That's why double-edged swords are so dangerous.

The Master Sowrd actually has a blade grip, like the one here. He never uses it, but at least the designers knew that those existed. Pretty much, you're supposed to grab that part when in close quarters so it's easier to wave your huge sword around. And no, the Biggoron Sword wouldn't be too mercilessly heavy. The Buster Sword (I don't know what the Japonaise have with the word "buster", but it's dumb) would definitely weigh way too much though.

The Razor Sword, too. It may look super heavy, but in a real world setting, it would be a lot thinner than it appears.

By the way, MasterSwordLink, stop posting these random things in Post Your Own Content. It doesn't belong here. Only things you would think are news worthy are supposed to go here. Your threads belong in Zelda Discussion.

Posted

I am glad you told me this, because I didn't know...I am still a little new to this site.