Can someone please explain...

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Can some one please explain to me how Link got the green hat he wears? I would really like to know. I haven't played a lot of Legend of Zelda games. The two I have played are:

-- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

-- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition

Posted

I think in some games it's tradition, or it's passed down to each reincarnation. In those cases I think it's usually for the great hero of the past, who would be OoT Link? Who would have got it from the other Kokiri since they all wear the same thing.

And before OoT in the timeline, idk how they'd come to possess the tunic. Can't remember playing any games placed before OoT. SS is new out though and supposedly the earliest game, so however he gets his tunic could be the origin of the tradition maybe? Not played SS though so can't answer how he gets it in that one.

Posted

The outfit always seems to be for a different reason. Sometimes it's the outfit that everyone around Link wears, sometimes it's in honor of another Link, and sometimes it's because it's the same link from another game just wearing his same outfit. The same can pretty much be said about the hat, though The Minish Cap kinda goes into more detail about why Link's hat is the way it is, though it's more of a far-fetched explanation than anything.

Posted

It's ok to disregard anything produced by Capcom since it isn't really monitored by Nintendo. That's why I don't pay much attention to where the Oracle games fit into the timeline.

Posted

Developed by Capcom, published by Nintendo.

They're canon, Knuckle.

Posted

You don't have to accept all the lore ):

After all making the whole thing "legend" of Zelda could be the biggest copout ever where it's like "some details are lost in after many retellings of these many legends!!"

Posted

You didn't say anything like that in this thread, LL ):

But honestly I've you've said it elsewhere I didn't notice because I rarely look at zelda threads

But I remember back in the days of RPs I tried bringing that into the RP but it was 2 deep 4 the rest of the players

Posted

In games like LoZ/AoL, LttP, FSA, OoX, LA, etc. there isn't really an origin for the hat. Tunics are common knight wear, though, so that doesn't really need to be explained. In those games, honestly, it can probably just be attributed to regular wear. In the Minish Cap, for instance, Vaati had a cap that was very similar in shape.

Since OoT, though, there have been origins for it.

OoT/MM: The Kokiri (males) wore those hats, so Link did too.

WW/PH: Link's heroicism inspired future generations of warriors who dressed in his image, the tradition making its way to regular boys who come of age.

MC: Ezlo, who crafted an all powerful hat, was turned into a hat in that shape by the boy who stole it from him.

TP: Link gets the outfit of the hero of legend (presumably OoT Link) from a spirit, the origin simply being OoT's origin.

ST: Knights who protect Hyrule Castle wear the full outfit, so a twist on WW's origin.

SS:

Being the earliest in the series, chronologically, I am not sure how SS' origin makes sense in relation to the Kokiri or Ezlo. In Minish Cap, Ezlo's transformation could have been a subconscious move on Vaati's part, since he may have seen a similar outfit some time in his life. But in Skyward Sword, people who study at the Knight Academy get the uniforms, and their color changes every year to identify the prestige of the knights. How this ties into the other series is probably the weakest linked and least plot oriented of them all. If I were to go out on a limb (lol!) and suggest that the Kikwi went on to become the Deku Tree and his children, seeing as the Kikwi's boss is very Deku Tree-like and the elder kikwi is a direct reference to the Maku Tree, perhaps the Kikwi boss was inspired by Link's human form and outfit, and made children after his image. After all, when humans eventually populated Hyrule, and the Deku Tree's children needed to take on unassuming, unthreatening forms, Link was one of the few people the Kikwi ever saw, and therefore, would be the only reference the Kikwi had to go off.

etc.

Posted

in its own way, its as though it went from a plain uniform to something legendary, by coincidence. the bland outfit of SS went on to become the clothing of the kokiri, wich then became the staple clothing of the hero of hyrule. immortilize the hero and his actions, never touch on the clothes to the commonfolk, wait a few hundred years, and suddenly its a commonplace thing.

though how it went from "traditional coming-of-age clothing" in WW to guards outfits in ST is a weird jump....it could theoretically be one of those "dress up the guard like heroes, and maybe theyll be more effective/impressive" type of deals, but its a bit of a stretch. but by that point, its been quite a while longer, so idk.

i suddenly wanna bust out WW, PH, and ST and try to compare maps.....see if /anything/ lines up geographically....

Posted

WW, PH, and ST are all in different geographical regions, lol. Like, completely different ones.

Posted

I was just wondering what the Legend of Zelda fans would say. I think I read somewhere on this site that it was explained in The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, but I have never played the game and I will probably never be able to play it because the game isn't available in Walmart or K-Mart where I live, they don't sell any GBA games...also I wanted to buy PH and Spirit Tracks, but they came out in, what '07 and '09 and they aren't available anymore (in store).

This sucks because I had a Nintendo DS in 2009 and I probably could have got PH and Spirit Tracks, but I just got into the Legend of Zelda series this year. I first played FSA from downloading it on my 3DS and I really liked it so I also got Oot 3D for my 3DS also.

Posted

Go to a real game store then and get it preowned or something.

Or order it online.

Posted

Well, you could always do what I do, and emulate those suckers.

Posted

Or just read what I said. ): The official origin is not just Minish Cap.