Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Hobbit

16 posts in this topic

Posted

TheHobbit.png

Finally.

The Hobbit, based on the book of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien, is a prequel to the better-known Lord of the Rings trilogy. Following Bilbo Baggins (whose adoptive heir is Frodo Baggins, main protagonist of the Lord of the Rings), it tells of his own great adventure, how he found his fortune, and how he came to possess the One Ring.

Directed by Peter Jackson, the story is to be split into two parts; The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, destined for cinemas on the 14th of December 2012, and 13th of December 2013, respectively.

------

I'm excited. Are you excited? I am.

Posted

Yes, finally. I've been waiting for years to see if the movies would ever see the light of day. Also, I've been hoping they'd be finished before the cast got too old; they're adding stuff from the appendices to fill out the story, and I want Christopher Lee back as Saruman

I'll watch the trailer later tonight.

Posted

Bilbo Baggins is being played by Martin Freeman, who played Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy rather than the same guy from Lord of the Rings <:

Posted

YES YES YES YES squid YES

Posted

I watched the trailer last night. It looks pretty cool. The rendition of "Over the Misty Mountains Cold" is hauntingly beautiful. Really not surprised Ian Holm won't be playing Bilbo in this one, since he had to have his face taped for those brief shots in LotR and that was over 10 years ago. He's had a good run of it though, getting to play both Bilbo and Frodo on separate occasions (Frodo in the BBC radio version of the book), and I hope Martin Freeman will do a good job.

I'm wondering how much will be changed from the book(s), since The Hobbit was much lighter and more geared towards children than The Lord of the Rings was (a fact Tolkien later regretted since he thought the book talked down to its readers a bit).

Posted

Doesn't it make sense that Bilbo and Frodo's actors are different? This is set so many years before LOTR, so they'd be younger right?

Posted

Agreed, LL. It's cool to see some characters from LotR and what they were up to at the time, but it depends on whether it's necessary. I have no problem with Legolas showing up briefly because,well, he's Thanduil's son and it would make sense for him to be there. Still not sure how Galadriel fits into this, unless she's one of the reasons Gandalf leaves the dwarves for a while. I haven't read any of the appendices in awhile, but I might do that later just to guess what's going to be put in the film(s).

I think Teto meant Ian Holm, Pheo. Before now they mentioned that Ian Holm might be reprising his role as Bilbo, which would be hard to do convincingly since he's getting older. Maybe what they meant was that you see him as an older Bilbo at some point.

Posted

I'm literally exploding with anticipation.

Posted

ha this movie is never coming out

Posted

t1g are you aware that it actually is coming out

and that the whole "we're not sure if this will or wont get done" thing has been over for a while

First half is coming out 14th of December, and that date has stayed the same since the day I posted this thread, on the 21st of December last year.

Posted

yeah i am aware of it lol.

didnt know any of the details on when though

Posted

It's a sordid topic, but I can't help but wonder if they placed it a week before the 21st just to see if it would drive up sales from their fans. I'm sure lots of LOTR fans are pretty superstitious and would probably opt out of seeing the film so they could stay safe in their bombshelters or something.

Posted

Good point I guess.

Just remembered my parents' anniversary is the 21st how cool is that.

Posted

"I'm sure lots of LOTR fans are pretty superstitious . . ."

What does this even mean?

Also, The films of the Lord of the Rings trilogy were all released in December, so this is simply keeping with the tradition. And, of course it has to do with sales. No one is pretending like it's some great secret.

More so, I fail to see the connection between being enraptured by Tolkien's universe and being superstitious.

Posted

If you like fantasy you believe in it.

Nah but really I'm sure that nerds who really love Lord of the Rings are also atheists and the like who don't care about all this prophecy rubbish.

I don't really get how 2012 would make a big difference with sales though, besides maybe some people thinking "The world is going to end, if I'm going to see this movie, it'll have to be the opening week!", though if you're willing to bet on there being people like that then there will probably be people who say "I only have one week I'm not wasting it on a 3 hour movie that I'll never see the second half of!"

So if there were people thinking like that it would probably even out. Not like it even really matters.