Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Retro Studios to take on the Zelda franchise?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Found this article while browsing Gamespot.com earlier; check it out:

http://www.gamespot....%3Bheadline%3B2

Retro Studios (in case you didn't know) is the team that brought us the Metroid Prime Trilogy and the recent Donkey Kong Country Returns. Personally I enjoyed the Prime trilogy and DKCR was enjoyable and had it's rough moments (in terms of difficulty) so it's safe to safe Retro knows it's stuff. But to see them tackle such a widely acclaimed and well-loved franchise like Zelda...? Well, this is gonna be interesting. But hey, on the bright side, they can't futz it up as bad as Phillips did with the CDi, right? ......right? :o_o:

What do you guys think?

Posted

one of the comments mentioned a first person zelda. gotta say i reject that with every cell in my body.

imo, zelda is one of the few series nintendo has carried that has, if anything, gotten better over the years. sonic gets bashed on, mario has moved to completely different (successful) gameplays, and several other series are lesser known due to their shaky/nonexistant port records (fire emblem, earthbound...). zelda has maintained its core concept and gameplay--changed setting a couple times, but the basic formula was always there. if nintendo was just using the company for structures, graphics, whatever, id be fine. but if theyre intending on handing the core of zelda over to someone else entirely, and have no hand in it at all, then im gonna have a serious problem with that. nintendos done a lot of crap lately that i could rave about, like marketing, graphics, etc etc, but theyve also had some of the most innovative games and ideas, even if they were ultimately improved and executed by another company. if they gave up the core of zelda, though...

i guess what im saying is that if zelda goes the way of mario or sonic, i would probably have to bail. just....no.

Posted

Nintendo only. Unless it's Capcom, which I doubt nowadays.

Posted

Retro makes amazing games.

I'd be fine with it.

Posted

Agreeing with Chase here, you guys are just being silly. If you actually played the Metroid Prime games, you'd see how they improved the game immensely while still keeping the same core gameplay that all the previous games had. After they were done with it, a different company, Team Ninja took over and made Other M. It's bad.

But, yeah, I'd be okay with this just to see how a different company would take on the Zelda franchise.

Posted

In all fairness to Other M, the gameplay is absolutely solid. It's the plot that's the problem.

Which of course has nothing to do with this thread.

DKCR was alright. It wasn't a vast stretch from Jungle Beat, and all in all it seemed just average in all the areas where the originals shined.

Posted

average in all the areas where the originals shined.

this is what im worried about :<

Posted

Oh...looks like I got TN and Retro mixed up! Retro would do great then o-o

Posted

I'd be fine with this, just as long as it's a temporary thing to see what Retro can do with the franchise. The games of theirs I've played showed a good understanding of what made a series great in the first place, plus some pretty creative additions of their own.

Posted

All I know is if the team that made Metroid Prime made a Zelda game, that game would be amazing. I have absolutely no doubts.

Jared, you mention Capcom, but Capcom has lost just about every single great developer they once had. Inafune was the last to leave, I believe. I don't trust them with their own franchises, let alone Zelda.

Posted

I think a 1st person Zelda could work if done right. I'm not completely against it so long as it's done right.

I've played Dragon Quest Swords for Wii and the combat/boss battles in that game had some pretty cool concepts to them; I think I have that game to thank for getting me familiar with different angles of strikes/slashes to use depending on what an enemy sends your way in Skyward Sword.

C'mon Retro, don't let us down now!

Posted

based on the high praise you guys are giving, i guess id have to see the game to really judge, but it still freaks me out thinking about it.

Posted

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Posted

If I remember correctly, Occarina of time was originally going to be first person. I think it was also going to be textured to be more like the original zelda games, and the enemies were going to be more like the original ones too. Whether or not that would have been a good idea is unknowable, though that's unrelated. First person zelda is not a foreign concept to the series, just one that hasn't been used yet (for better or for worse).

I think if a zelda game were in first person, a lot of the player response would be "Trying to rip off elder scrolls." I don't know if that would have been the response when OoT came out, but I think Retro would avoid making it a first person game, for that reason.

I have faith in retro. I'm pretty sure they can come up with some good ideas for a zelda game if they have to. For all we know, this could be like skyward sword and Twilight Princess. Retro develops the game that holds everyone over until Nintendo makes their supergame, and this way, Nintendo doesn't have to do both. Besides, I don't think Nintendo would give Retro full ride. There'd probably be at least a little collaboration between the two.