She Tried to Warn Me

42 posts in this topic

Posted

:<

then id say to use both, as both need a cure.

also, playing devils advocate--aids is p close to being cured. like, a guy got cured fairly recently by a doctor made of awesome, and i hypothetically cured it in class. (gawd that made me want a lab to try it innnn)

Posted

How did you hypothetically cure aids

Posted

That was from a bone marrow transfer, which I don't understand isn't researched more, because a bone marrow transplant like, completely cured a couple of previously incurable diseases, and even changed folks' blood type. It's like, oh, this person was completely cured of AIDS!!!!!!!!!!! (and it was because of bone marrow transplant) How mysterious! It was a totally not duplicable miracle! Wow!

I'm thinking it's because of all the money to be made in treatment drugs or something. I mean they could just switch over to anti-rejection drugs because of blood type shifts and whatever. But idk, I feel like the medical industry is just like lol what is bone marrow transplant.

Posted

Youre getting off topic guys. This is about my baby.

Posted

this would be counterproductive to anything good

you would set back cancer research by years

It's like, oh, this person was completely cured of AIDS!!!!!!!!!!! (and it was because of bone marrow transplant) How mysterious! It was a totally not duplicable miracle! Wow!

Both of these posts are just so good. SO GOOD.

Posted

What if I told you going to Skype would help us find a cure for AIDS at the cost of a set back in cancer research.

what then

I still wouldn't like skype. What would there be in it for me?

Posted

this would be counterproductive to anything good

you would set back cancer research by years

stop hanging out with Ganny so much you sound just like him GOSH

but really wtf is going on in the op

Posted

How did you hypothetically cure aids

it was a project for class--pick a disease, come up with a method of treating it. we got no lab, we got no research, we just got scientific papers to read, and imagination.

That was from a bone marrow transfer, which I don't understand isn't researched more, because a bone marrow transplant like, completely cured a couple of previously incurable diseases, and even changed folks' blood type. It's like, oh, this person was completely cured of AIDS!!!!!!!!!!! (and it was because of bone marrow transplant) How mysterious! It was a totally not duplicable miracle! Wow!

I'm thinking it's because of all the money to be made in treatment drugs or something. I mean they could just switch over to anti-rejection drugs because of blood type shifts and whatever. But idk, I feel like the medical industry is just like lol what is bone marrow transplant.

its definitely the medical companies...the research and will are all there, but the money isnt. youd think itd be the other way around, but its not. because the medical companies get a lot of cash from making expensive medicines that need to be taken daily, whereas a cure would only need to be administered two or three times. the way our group calculated it, if we administered the genetic modification by injection into the bloodstream, theyd only need an injection every three weeks, as thats the lifespan of most t-cells. even less if we modified the bone marrow, as all the t-cells it would produce would be basically immune. (i say basically, because theres another coreceptor, and although its not on as many t-cells, there are strains of HIV that can use both coreceptors)

on a side note, the bone marrow was intentionally picked from a donor that had a specific gene mutation that caused the main coreceptor for HIV to be nonfunctional/nonexistent. basically, HIV couldnt get into the new T-cells, and was killed off by the body. there had been research into this mutation (it provides resistance or almost full immunity to HIV, depending on if the person is a carrier, or if both copies of that gene are mutated), and the doctor said "hey, what the hell, lets try this". he needed a bone marrow transplant anyway, since he had leukemia. the doctor just picked something that could (and did) cure him of HIV.

Posted

How does Aids curing work, exactly?

Voodoo. It's definitely voodoo.

On a side note, doctors are actually witch doctors. Same difference, really.

Posted

They prefer to be called "Shamans" :P

Posted

They prefer to be called "Shamans" :P

I'm pretty sure that's not necessarily the same thing.

Posted

Just don't call them Warlocks and you'll be fine.

Posted

Still waiting on an explanation here.

Posted

Yeah me too

Posted

I'm not surprised that pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be happy with any cure that they couldn't be a part of. Besides. curing a disease means fewer repeat customers. They'd rather administer 'treatments'.