Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: My thoughts

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I appreciate that you think flying is easy, but, as a collective whole, the general response is that it isn't easy. And whether it's easy or not isn't the point. I put forth the argument that it would have been just as good or better with an analog than with the motion control, and I stand by what I said. The motion control detracted from the game for me, and that is enough to justify an alternate control scheme. What is wrong with choice, anyway? Forcing me to use the motion control is rather limiting.

Imagine Skyward Sword, as it is, right now, with button controls. Particularly the sword motion. It's not as easy at you might think it is. The enemies require faster motions than even your arms can come up with sometimes, and having to compensate for lack of motion controls with the sword by having the joystick that controls your movements also mapped to that action would be super clunky.

And yes, you did totally say that the bird controls were, and I quote, "terrible". That was your assertion, and I countered it not with an opinion, but a comparison of our respective skills. When you say they're clunky, you're saying that, when following the controls, the controls still do not work. My assertion is that they are not, and if you pay attention to what your body is doing, all notions of clunkiness disappear. From my perspective, your remark is as bad as rubbing your palms on the face of your controller while playing Skyrim and saying the controls aren't responsive when your character doesn't move right.

I don't see how forward thinking is a hindrance to progress? I think that's how progress is made. When you're not satisfied with what you have, you set out to make something better.

It's "forward thinking" to not even want to participate unless it's better than our hardware can even come up with? It's more stationary thinking if anything. That would leave the demand solely up to hardware developers or special interest groups, and if console makers knew their audience thought, "I don't want motion controls until there's virtual reality", they simply won't try, because no one has it yet and we're not even close. Therefore, no improvements will be made. It's like if you were in the 1980s saying you wouldn't watch movies until Bluray comes out. If everyone thought that way, there wouldn't be a demand for movies, and therefore, movies and their involved hardware wouldn't improve.

I don't want you to get the impression that I hate the game or something. I don't. In fact, I rather enjoy it. It's an interesting experiment that I think has garnered more praise than it deserves due to its namesake and unique control scheme. At the end of the day, it's the best in motion control, and there is something to be said for that.

"I like the game. I enjoy it."

"It was an interesting experiment that was overrated."

SS isn't an experiment, no more than touch screens are an experiment. It took the hardware it was given and made the best out of it. It's a complete product.

I want you to give me an example of any praise SS was given that wasn't warranted. Your comments have all been pretentious and passive-aggressive shots at SS without really backing anything you say up with objectivity. Look at it not for what it could be, but what it is.

Posted

The motion control detracted from the game for me, and that is enough to justify an alternate control scheme. What is wrong with choice, anyway? Forcing me to use the motion control is rather limiting.

Only if we could conjure up some button you can press that somehow knows in what direction you want to swing your sword or think up some janky and more difficult control scheme (hold A and move the control stick? I couldn't imagine this being convenient) could that comparison even be made

Chase wants a controller that allows him to play SS without motion controls.

But that would require a button for each of the 9 directions you can swing the sword (you guys forgot about thrusting)

but you guys have forgotten that there is in fact a controller like this. A controller that was created by seers, looking into the future so they would be able to learn how to make good controllers, beyond their own time

They made the controller for this very moment

philips-cdi-remote-thumbstick-controller-loose.jpg

Chase likes this

Posted

what's weird is I was wondering how thrusting would work as I wrote that

Posted

double tap the sword button