"I remember a time before status updates and picture threads. A simpler time, that was a lot more active than it is now."

72 posts in this topic

Posted

Even after the release of Shynerd Ford (diagramming the evolution in confidence undergone by the well-known nerd Henry Ford, a prominent and recurring figure in Zelda lore), discussion has been pretty minimal, the most content in that direction seeming to be in YLA's "What I think" thread (where things became steamy and alluring). I say what we do is go to every other Zeldan forum and see what topics they have, then make them over here and see what happens.

JUST

MOVE

THE TOPICS

OVER HERE!

Posted

15500059.jpg
Teto, 2356 and Ganny like this

Posted

loltappy

(I'm pretty sure we can lock the gender thread. I'm pretty sure that can be filed away.)

i would, if i could find the bloody button. actually, i cant seem to locate that sucker for any of the topics i created before and just now checked.

Posted

I think I disabled the ability for users to close their own threads, I like enabled it then disabled it. Not sure why...

Posted

But Teto, we do have two games running at once

AWaOR is still going

That was the joke.

As in, two games running, both inactive, how can we handle this???

It wasn't a shot at you either by the way, if that wasn't already clear.

Posted

Honestly, I have to agree with Saha, I love how close and tight-knit we are as a group but like, yeah, it does actually scare off new people. I would say it's the problem :< If you don't have the same interests, or sense of humour, or whatever else and don't adapt to what everyone else is like, then you're probably not going like it here and not stay for long. idk. I kinda changed to "fit in" I guess. :x

But!! It does look like we're getting a few new members recently!! :> Everyone go welcome them in the lobby! :<

Posted

did this need its own thread

It's posts like this that are tearing this forum apart, Lisa!!!

Also yeah, it's the tight-knit nature of the community. I think that having lots of threads for every little thing could actually be a good idea. Plenty of other forums do this. One of the most active ones I go on doesn't have anything like Talk. They have one for general shitposting and messing about, but anything that can actually be discussed gets it's own thread. We have the rants and raves threads that you can post little things of course, for those who just want to let it out, but aren't really looking for much of a reply.

Agreeing that it would also help if we diluted the forum a bit, making more threads and not confining every subject to Talk and status updates, where they'll not get as much discussion going as they would if it'd been posted as a thread.

Threads will die without getting much attention. Worthy sacrifices towards the greater good of branching out our horizons and moving those branches in to embrace newcomers and make it possible for them to get involved.

Talk - Everything is condensed and stating a reply to something is often difficult because there are multiple conversations going on at once, and it doesn't feel like the kind of place where you post long posts in reply to other people. Not to me anyway.

Multiple threads for different topics - People can actually reply to the thread topic without feeling out of place!! And then they can get into debate or discussion with other members and get involved!!

It's all uphill from here guys. The climb will be difficult but one day we will reach the stars. This is a very tall hill.

tl;dr we should post threads, don't keep everything in talk

basically what Saha/other people have been saying all along

Posted

LL, please try to be polite to new users. We don't have to treat them like babies, but you can't just expect the person to immediately click with our humor or behaviors. If someone introduces themselves to a community, the person that immediately asks for pics after the person is like "Yeah I like these kinds of homes and these are my favorite things to do" will make that person less comfortable with the community. Especially on the internet. "Hey stranger, show me your face". It's not the best initial social advance. Let them ease in. You can't just force yourself on them. If the person shows any indication of being lax with that kind of humor, fine. Otherwise just give them a thumbs up until they decide they want to stay or not. Even if they leave without saying anything, at least they'll leave with a good impression. The aggressive assimilation attitude has been weakening our forum userbase for the longest. :/

Posted

i think the point is not to scare them off initially. like, you can pick on others (preferably not in their intro thread), but leave them alone for a while, until they start messing with us native savages. thats an indicator that theyve warmed up to us, and understand our humor, and then a little light joshing around would be fine. i mean, by that point, we should also know them better, and where they stand, sense of humor, etc.

Posted

It's annoying being told that apparently my being polite and welcoming to new users is "fake" and "awkward" in some bizarre way. =/ Seriously??? If I was a new user I'd be more inclined to join a forum where people you know, actually say hello and are welcoming and stuff than being the brunt of a joke and told to take pics. It's a bad first impression, and tbh I'm sick of the fact some people just can't stop making everything into a joke here.

Just, cut new users some slack and let them get used to us and the site before doing all the "accurate portrayal" shit. =/

Posted

ITT: LL doesn't understand the importance of good first impressions.

Also lol my post wasn't fake or insincere. I am pretty sure I sincerely wanted to welcome them into the community.

Posted

lol you don't have to feel like you have to greet every new member. That's totally not you anyway. You're not a good enough person for that kind of display! Joke. But yeah I wouldn't expect you to greet people. Just don't go at them until they kind of like us or something.

Posted

lmao are you serious

I mean sometimes you can be really stupid as a joke but other times when you get into serious discussion you can be pretty unbelievable.

Which one is it.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is weird.

Having a full thread separate where we sort of discuss the new member and how to act towards her. And she's just there like "what have I gotten myself into" while we obsess and nitpick. In public. We've pulled back with them standing right there, and we've gone into a team huddle to discuss tactics before proceeding. It's so pathetic really.

Posted

Yeah pretty much. If my son was going to spit on my client's shoes as soon as he walked in the door, I would be all "Oh that's just my son being himself! Boys will be boys!"

I'd be all

"THAT IS DISGUSTING YOU SHOULDN'T SPIT ON SOMEONE UNLESS THEY SAY IT'S OKAY DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME"

Posted

sigh