How would you feel if a different country BURNT your country flag?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties,

Above the fruited plain,

But now wait a minute,

I'm talking about America, sweet America, You know, God done shed his grace on thee, He crowned thy good, yes he did, in a brotherhood, From sea to shining sea. You know, I wish I had somebody to help me sing this (America, America, God shed his grace on thee) America, I love you America, you see, My God he done shed his grace on thee, And you oughta love him for it, Cause he, he, he, he, crowned thy good, He told me he would, with brotherhood, (From sea to shining sea). Oh Lord, oh Lord, I thank you Lord (Shining sea).

is one.

Another one people usually identify with is:

"If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life, and I had to start again with just my children and my wife, I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today, because the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away. And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me and I'll gladly stand up next to you to defend her still today. There ain't no doubt I love this land...God bless the USA"

and if you live in the South:

"Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list, and the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist, and the eagle will fly, and there's gonna be hell...when you hear mother freedom start ringing her bells it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you...yeah brought to you courtesy of the red, white, and blue."

I really, really like the first one. Ray Charles is awesome anyway. The other two are o-kay, as long as I don't have to hear them any other day than the fourth of July.

Posted

If it's during a riot over a sporting event, I'd be pissed, but as a legitimate political demonstration I can understand it.

i think this is what i couldnt really think to word before--an intentional symbolic gesture over some social issue is understandable, torching it haphazardly and with a petty motive is not.

ergh, i know i have a song that actually makes me feel kainda patriotic, but given it combines a marching band, nascar sounds, and was made in another country......not really what you would hold as a patriotic song. but i get irritated with people hopping on the military horse and raving about how you cant get greater than america, as if we had no problems. so the more ideal songs are things i cant really understand, in the same way ill never get romantic songs. i like having some reality mixed in, even better if its sarcastic.

Posted

Lol, thats why I love our australian songs. They aren't saying Australia is great like our national anthem. They're about problems. :>

Posted

Honestly, as long as they aren't harming other actual people, then I'm fine with it. It's a sign of opinion, and it's in my nature to let others share it.

Although, I agree, there are extents that you can do to show your opinion. Spitting on it might piss me off a bit, but I'll end up forgetting about it the next morning.