Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why you shouldn't hate Call of Duty

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Now i understand what the topic says, but don't get me wrong, i am not a fan of Call of Duty, the first Modern Warfare was fun but every game after is the same friggin game and a total waste of money and time to play. No good players are on there any more, just scrubs and 12 year olds who like to try and think they can cuss people out cuz their parents aren't in the room. I can't stand the Call of Duty franchise and wish it would end. But in the process of researching information on the new Medal of Honor game coming out this year for a school project i came across some interesting information of events that passed the past couple years and now i don't hate the franchise as much, because they can't do anything to make it better.

Allow me to clarify.

A couple years ago, after the release of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, the two owners of the company Infinity Ward, the people who actually create Call of Duty, were not given their full pay for the game and promptly quit. Jason West and Vince Zampella left to create their own company named Respawn Entertainment and began to work under EA Games. They sued Activision for the right to get the money they refused them. Activision counter-sued claiming that EA Games was stealing the Call of Duty franchise and attempting to breach the contracts of the two ex-employees and is now suing them for 400 million dolars. EA has claimed they were doing no such thing, why would they need to when they have Battlefield and Medal of Honor? They are currently in trial right now to see who wins, and quite possibly if EA wins they will take the franchise with them. But this isn't all, after Jason and Vince left, about 25-50 employees of the 100 that worked on Call of Duty followed suit and are now working at Respawn Entertainment with their previous bosses. Doesn't this just show how WONDERFUL Activision is?

But here is another thing. If you have been paying attention Call of Duty has been releasing a new game every single year, there is even rumors of Black Ops 2 coming out THIS year. This is because they signed a contract with Activision saying that they HAVE to release a new game every year or else they breach the contract and don't get funds. AFter learning of this i understand why they suck. If you know anything about the videogame industry you would understand that a single year is NOT enough time to take a game and make it into something different. Every game has been the same thing with little tweaks, most of them making the gameplay worse (*cough* Black Ops), and a few new maps. They don't have TIME to make it better. They only have time to make a few things and then release saying it's a new game, it's amazing they get anything done at all now with half their staff missing.

So even if you hate Call of Duty and can't stand the series like i do, hopefully this will change your views a little bit, i'm not saying love the series and buy every friggin game, but just know they have an excuse for sucking and hopefully they will be free of this contract soon, take a 3-5 year break, and bring out the hidden potential Call of Duty has hidden there.

Source(s):

http://www.physorg.c...on-lawsuit.html

http://www.1up.com/n...ivision-lawsuit

http://www.reuters.c...E6BL1CU20101222

and millions more if you just look it up on Google

Posted

berneydidnotread.gif

Posted

lmfao i ain't even mad

Posted

Gotta get dat money. Jews all day, erryday.

Bobby Kotick, at least.

Posted

ive never had any animosity toward the game--my bro transferred from halo to CoD, and maaaaaaan can he shoot things (for the record, hes 17) and based on conversations ive had with him, he basically just plays it with his friends, ill walk downstairs and based on his side of the conversation, it sounds more like a phone call than a battle-chat. but anyway, ive sat and watched for a few minutes, and hell snipe some dude, and just move on to the next one. idk about you, but i have to stare at whatever i shoot to make sure it stays down.

tl;dr: his reflexes freak me out from that game.

anyway, based on the release things and whatnot, theyre probably getting a decent funding from their loyal buyers, so when they do get the opportunity to properly make a new game, in other words, they have the time to do so, it will probably be worth buying. i was in gamebuilders club for a semester, so i can understand the time crunch issues.

this was really informative, though, kainda like learning about the nintendo/sony relations.

Posted

well on a personal level i just gotta say the game is really unrealistic, everybody argues that it is but the most realistic shooter i have ever seen and played is Counter-Strike Source. Call of duty only counts the Head and Body as the two body parts that take damage(apendages such as arms and legs count as body) and is not distributed correctly. Counter-Strike takes ever single body part into consideration and counts the bullets (in making terms) as physical object that fly through the air, reason why i have always been a better sniper on CoD than Counter-Strike, also if you look at players that transferred over from one to the other CS to CoD become amazing players that are dissapointed with the simplicity, and CoD to CS hate the game because they are used to killing peoiple with the stupidest excuses.

lol i'm sorry if i seem annoying or to rant videogames are my life and i plan on becoming a developer in the next ten years or so, forgive me

Posted

man, if there was a game that factored in injured limbs into shooting and movement......

but the work that would have to go into that kind of game would be astronomical, not to mention lag if the programming/system wasnt efficient enough.

Posted

Don't use "I'm better at Counter-Strike" as an excuse if you're bad at Call of Duty. If you're bad at Call of Duty, you're bad at Call of Duty. That doesn't mean you can't become better, but don't make excuses.

I'm bad at most fighting games. Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom 3, etc. The only one I'm really good at is Mortal Kombat. Does that mean the rest of them are terrible? No, it means I'm terrible at them.

man, if there was a game that factored in injured limbs into shooting and movement......

but the work that would have to go into that kind of game would be astronomical, not to mention lag if the programming/system wasnt efficient enough.

Dead Space says hello.

Posted

I thought he said the reason he's good at Call of Duty is because he's great at Counter-Strike? I guess I can't read or something.

Also, yeah, there are a few games out there that do do that, Chimetals.

Posted

I don't like how cocky the game makes everyone. It destroyed my brother's personality, not caring about anyone anymore. And he's 14. Thanks, parents. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Posted

Oh, you know what would be a cool mechanic in the game? If the FPS character suffered from post-traumatic stress and was cold and distant to his family. And then his wife has an affair because she can't deal with it

the levels are shooter levels in the war, occasionally shifting into parts of his house as he remembers for a moment where he is, or at least, a small part of him does. and then cutscenes from both, like that silent hill game on the psp. the game starts out and is advertized as being the story of a war hero, but as you play the game, you realize the war is over, and its PTSD, the family is falling apart, etc. and all the battles and enemies are all in this guys head. a different side of the reality of war, and whatnot.

i dont really keep up with FPS or even xbox/playstation games, tbh, so i didnt know about those :/ i only have played the FPS that i have because i played with my brother in co-op mode. halo, gears of war, army of TWO.....the few times we tried CoD involved a lot of dying. and then i leave for college, come back, and my bro is infinitely better. thats cool, though, with those games.

Realistically, if a person gets shot anywhere, they immediately stop what they're doing and attend to the wound, assuming that they're not squidding dead or going into shock. Actually, they might just lie there and cry.

they might be able to go for a bit longer, if its a desperate enough situation. eg, determining life or death for them.

Posted

i never said i was good or bad at either of them, just that from people i have talked to that's what i've generally heard, though i will admit i don't have fun in CoD anymore becuse i can't find good players, and i never said Counter-Strike was the most realistic ther is, just that it is one of the most without becoming ungodly annoying and keeping the theme of "YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEOGAME" in mind, lol i knew starting something about CoD would get people riled up XD

Posted

CoD is such a bro game. BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted

My friend Dustin and I play CoD

My (ex)step brother plays CoD

I went to Halo a couple times

People died

Also, Dustin and I refer to each other as "Brah"

Ironically, of course

Posted

man you got my hopes up that it was the Dustin