Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kony Things

78 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh hi, you've probably already seen this everywhere recently, but it's still a pretty important deal so

Posted

Yeah I got invited to like 3 different groups on facebook for it half an hour ago soo.

Posted

That's an awesome video.

I think I'll donate a few bucks a month. This is exactly the kind of charity I was looking for. If anyone knows of any others, could you link to those as well? I figure if I can donate a few bucks to a bunch of different organizations (non-profit, charity, or otherwise) I can actually make a bit of difference.

Posted

It depends on how you view morality.

Is it popular-based or is it on an individual scale?

Is it debatable, or is there an absolute right?

I believe in an absolute right. It doesn't have to be popular, and you don't have to believe it. Even if no one believes in it, it is still right. If no one believes, it just means that everyone is wrong. But I also believe that there are situations where a thing that would otherwise be wrong is right. And vice-verses. For example, murder is wrong, yet killing in self-defense is not. Both acts take a life, but the latter is just.

I think this is right, LL. I think getting behind this cause is the right thing to do, regardless. It isn't necessarily wrong to not get involved, and you may not get involved for the right reasons. But, as a whole, I think this movement is a just one and it needs to be supported. Kony's plan is working, and there is merit to that. But his plan is evil. Just compare the things he has done (forced kids to murder their parents, forced girls into sexual slavery, built up an army of killing machines) to the things this movement has done (Non-profit, fighting to bring the kids home to their families, bringing hope, radio communication, education, etc. to children in Africa). There is no comparison. The movement is in the right, Kony is not.

Posted

To add on my previous comment. I watched the video and I cried. I'm going to try and do whatever I can to raise awareness and donate, etc. I'll be doing the cover the night thing and most of my friends are as well.

Posted

Oh boy, it's this again. Please research before you post it.

Taken from my facebook page.

To everyone who has posted the Kony 2012 link on facebook (yes i know that includes me).

Last year, Invisible Children spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services, with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. Read that last sentence again, less than a THIRD of their MILLIONS in donations actually went to any help.

This charity supports paying the Ugandan army which is corrupt and guilty of many human rights abuses on par with the Lord's Republican Army. The army that Invisible Children are funding, and pressuring the US government to fund committed acts of rape, looting and even operating a prostitution ring, infecting civilians with HIV/AIDS.

They manipulate facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA's use of innocent children as soldiers. They started this campaign against Joseph Kony (leader of the LRA) in 2012, despite the fact that the LRA has not been active in Northern Uganda since 2006?

Kony is a terrible man, which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years, contrary to lies that Invisible Children spread. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter.

The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation.

And besides, Kony and the LRA are in the Congo, and to stop them this would require Ugandan forces to go against the Congo's sovereignty, the last time Uganda did this 5.2 million people were killed in the Second Congo War. Invisible Children directly supports this military intervention. This is NOT the appropriate solution.

Invisible Children supports awareness, and yes, awarensss of this situation is good, but these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow.

Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

You would be better off donating to a charity like Amnesty International who have a proven track record of directly helping people, not trying to start a war.

Sources for those who are skeptical.

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136673/mareike-schomerus-tim-allen-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/images/737/original/FY11-Audited%20Financial%20Statements.pdf?1320205055

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17456%3Aupdf-in-kony-hunt-accused-of-rape-looting&catid=78%3Atopstories&Itemid=116

Teto likes this

Posted

Will watch this video eventually. Seeing tons of people on Facebook posting it and posting stuff about awareness bands. Another fashion trend, great. I suppose it's good that they're spreading it though, since this guy seems like a bit of a dick.

Loading the video just now.

Will talk shit a little more after I've watched it.

Posted

Oh, if only I was as cynical as you. The world might be a better place, where sarcasm replaces charity, because "no one can give selflessly" and "you aren't really doing any good, you know? You aren't really making a difference. You shouldn't feel good about yourself."

You don't have to support this particular movement, or any movement, whatever. But God forbid some lazy Americans try to spread goodwill through their facebook instead of racial, gender, or sexual orientation slurs.

God forbid anyone try to do anything at all.

It's okay to be cynical. I'm not saying your viewpoint is "wrong" or anything. Just keep in mind that, if everyone had the attitude that you have, nothing good would ever get done. No one would donate to charity because it's impossible to do so out of the kindness of your heart, and even if it is out of the kindness of your heart, it's going to a corrupt and inconsistent system.

Arachne and Teto like this

Posted

Christ, LL. Just wish you would shut the squid up for once with you ~unpopular opinions~.

We get that you don't like it when people think that they're making a difference, but you probably do more against the cause than for it by spreading your bullshit.

Enjoy the fact that things are being done to help others rather than ranting online about how much you dislike it when people show enthusiasm for a cause. I'm sure that you would fight against the followers even if they were totally sincere, because you seem utterly convinced that nobody can actually be against abduction and murder of children.

(Chase said it better)

Also phanta you can stop sucking dicks to get ahead, you know.

Posted

No I actually thought his post was funny. I think LL is a funny guy. Isn't the point of the Like button to like stuff?

Don't get me wrong I think Kony is bad and stuff but I wasn't actually planning to post in this thread. I just laughed at bit. squid you for throwing me into this thread that I didn't wanna comment on. squid you for accusing me to be a suck up. I think LL is funny so I'm gonna like the posts he makes that I think are funny. I don't think that's any of your concern. You dont seem to bitch when I like your posts so squid off.

Posted

See, I'm reading your words, but all I see is an insult on my intelligence for supporting it.

Posted

Okay no I honestly believe LL is either dumb as shit in serious discussion or just can't take anything seriously at all.

Done with him.

Posted

Didn't read #15 so

Posted

sharing the link on facebook and such is the same as people putting a dollar in the charity donation box so people can feel like they are doing something.

truth is, they're not, but it's still better than being completely apathetic.

besides, the charity invisible children is shit, anyway, as i said, last page.

Posted

Just curious, what made you believe that information over the Invisible Children's claims?

Because the latter was too good to be true?