Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kony Things

78 posts in this topic

Posted

I get very skeptical of shiny audio-visual presentations that present somebody as evil, and somebody else as good. It's not black and white.

So, I spent a few hours researching, and then found that I had every right to be skeptical, as it was too good to be true.

Posted

So, just for clarification, the Invisible Children and the Kony2012 project aren't worth supporting because they're only donating some of the money to Uganda and they're supporting a military that has members committing similar acts as Kony? Do I have that right?

What I gather from all of this is that even if the cause isn't so "white," the villain is very much "black." Kony still needs to be stopped. Has there been a better support than this? Is there a better way the average housewife can help out?

Posted

dont twist my puppying words

i said that they were inefficient, and the money would be better spent on more efficient charities that support PEACE not starting a war, like amnesty.

while some action is better than no action, people need to see past the whole 'white man and his small aryan child being cute and dividing the issue into black and white'

please read my previous posts before responding.

Posted

Kony definitely needs to be stopped though. It's not black and white, but it's definitely black and something else. And I suppose that something else is the closest we'll get to white though. The video didn't make out the military to be this perfect being that stops evil. It did go into why someone like Kony is so difficult to get rid of from a military perspective. It noted the flaws in society and the system that make it such a tough situation to handle. That being that the military wont act unless the government say so, and they wont make the orders like this unless society wants them to, and society wont want them to if they don't know that it's happening.

So by spreading the video, you spread awareness for the cause. By spreading awareness, you make people rally together to get the government to do something. The government make the orders, the military goes out, and Kony can be stopped.

The only way to get the world's attention for long enough to stop Kony is to shove it in everyone's faces. Indifference would totally destroy the whole thing, none of the other steps could proceed without the public's attention. Not with the politics of it all.

People aren't as realistically thinking as others. They get over excited about any input they make. But as long as they know what they're raising awareness for, which some probably wont, then there isn't really anything to fault. And even then, as long as people aren't allowed to forget it and the job gets done, is there really anything to complain about?

I suppose you're just angry at people who follow these sorts of things like a fashion trend. I'm with you on that, but since there's nothing damaging about their behaviour that I can think of, I see no reason to complain about them.

Also I'm not going to debate what Kony are doing. I'm looking at the response side of things. I don't know much about what they do, only what they're trying to achieve.

And yeah it's ignorant of me to follow them based on their goals, but I find it hard to believe that they're some big evil organisation.

End: I hope Kony 2012 doesn't destroy the world.

Arachne likes this

Posted

I mean, I didn't know who the guy was until enough people had thrown the video in my face that I watched it. So at the very least, it's spreading awareness of something we should probably be aware of, as CITIZENS OF THE EARTH. Deciding to support invisible children or some other charity thing or none at all is your choice, but I think the best thing that's come out of this so far is that now a lot more people know, and a lot more people care. That's a pretty good deal

Posted

Kony definitely needs to be stopped though. It's not black and white, but it's definitely black and something else. And I suppose that something else is the closest we'll get to white though. The video didn't make out the military to be this perfect being that stops evil. It did go into why someone like Kony is so difficult to get rid of from a military perspective. It noted the flaws in society and the system that make it such a tough situation to handle. That being that the military wont act unless the government say so, and they wont make the orders like this unless society wants them to, and society wont want them to if they don't know that it's happening.

Basically IC want to arm and supply the Ugandan army, which is notorious for rape, pillage and setting up prostitution rings. They're no better than the LRA, to be honest. And plus, the LRA are in DRC now, and if Uganda stepped on the toes of the DRC, there would be a big ass war. The last time Uganda was in a war with the DRC, the deadliest war since WWII was started. So yeah, maybe that isn't a very good idea.

So by spreading the video, you spread awareness for the cause. By spreading awareness, you make people rally together to get the government to do something. The government make the orders, the military goes out, and Kony can be stopped.

The only way to get the world's attention for long enough to stop Kony is to shove it in everyone's faces. Indifference would totally destroy the whole thing, none of the other steps could proceed without the public's attention. Not with the politics of it all.

Yeah, awareness is good, but not when you're spreading missinformation, which is what IC are doing. The numbers are exagerated and it provides the situation in a very black and white way, that we need to march our army into Uganda, shoot the baddies, then go home. This is NOT how to achieve peace, by initiating another war.

People aren't as realistically thinking as others. They get over excited about any input they make. But as long as they know what they're raising awareness for, which some probably wont, then there isn't really anything to fault. And even then, as long as people aren't allowed to forget it and the job gets done, is there really anything to complain about?

I suppose you're just angry at people who follow these sorts of things like a fashion trend. I'm with you on that, but since there's nothing damaging about their behaviour that I can think of, I see no reason to complain about them.

Also I'm not going to debate what Kony are doing. I'm looking at the response side of things. I don't know much about what they do, only what they're trying to achieve.

And yeah it's ignorant of me to follow them based on their goals, but I find it hard to believe that they're some big evil organisation.

Sure, some action is better than no action, but IC support unrealistic military solutions to a humanitarian problem. IC are fundamentally good, but they're short sighted and the charity money would be better spent on a charity that provides aid, not funding an army that commits equal crimes to the LRA.

Arachne likes this

Posted

See, I'm all for world peace, too, but it's a concept that most people find difficult to rally behind, due to the lack of a villain. There's multiple sides to everything, and our own governments are working against us as we speak.

Kony is a man. An individual who does despicable things. It's easy to rally against him. This will end with Kony executed, mark my words. I don't think this was ever about peace to begin with. It's about taking down a powerful, evil individual. Will it start a bloody war? Possibly. But who is worse? The person who stops Kony and potentially causes a war, or the person that says "it would start a war anyway" and leaves him to his devices?

Posted

See, I'm all for world peace, too, but it's a concept that most people find difficult to rally behind, due to the lack of a villain. There's multiple sides to everything, and our own governments are working against us as we speak.

Kony is a man. An individual who does despicable things. It's easy to rally against him. This will end with Kony executed, mark my words. I don't think this was ever about peace to begin with. It's about taking down a powerful, evil individual. Will it start a bloody war? Possibly. But who is worse? The person who stops Kony and potentially causes a war, or the person that says "it would start a war anyway" and leaves him to his devices?

Peace in central africa will not be catalyzed by bringing in a squidding army, contrary to popular belief. Its like the situation in iraq, where yes, there was a bad guy, but there was absolutely no need for the US to wave their military wang around and intervene. if the US gets involved, things will escalate. Like I said earlier, the solution is humanitarian not military.

Arachne likes this

Posted

You don't have a better solution if your solution is to wait and watch. That's not a solution. That's doing absolutely nothing.

How else would you like them to go about it? Knock on Kony's door and sell him girl scout cookies? Ask him nicely?

When he found out the U.S. was getting involved, did he stop? No, he decided to become even more secretive and careful. He's a manipulator and a tyrant, and you'll never convince me that it would be better to leave him be than to intervene.

Posted

How else would you like them to go about it? Knock on Kony's door and sell him girl scout cookies? Ask him nicely?

No we'll give him the girl scout cookies for free. Not sure if the cause is worth giving away the thin mint ones though because those things are great.

Posted

LINKPROW WHAT THE squid. THAT'S NOT SERIOUS.

I've already hit my seriousness cap it won't go any higher. My seriousness stat is forever stuck at -20. This is the most serious I can be sorry.

Posted

why would you even post that

Linkprow likes this

Posted

That's what I ask myself after every post I make. I never find the answer.

Posted

not sure if trolling or just stupid?

Posted

We're all trolling you now.

The tables have turned!!!1!!11!!!!!!1!!!1!!11!!