Political Correctness

39 posts in this topic

Posted

ok, just gonna pick up from the talk thread, might go and edit in everyones posts previous to mine

its not like PC has magically ridded the world of race jokes and whatnot. hell, all the race jokes i know were told to me by people of that race. my black people jokes came from a black guy, the one asian joke i know came from an asian guy, and i even had a white guy tell me white people jokes (he made them up because he realized there were no white people jokes. they were actually funny)

I mean, its got good points, as it does, for the most part, make any sort of slur-derived comment or label reeeeeeeeeeeeally avoided out of paranoia, but it really has gotten out of hand. now its more of a speech pattern that politicians need to be trained in, much like theres a specific speech pattern in japanese for talking to the emperor. PC just gives us reasons to nitpick the hell out of politicians, bosses, etc. it doesnt stop the people that are straight-up gonna use slurs, though. "nigger" and "fag" are pret-ty prevalent, still. (though the first one is predominantly used by the people it refers to, at least from my experience)

(tbh, im still pretty paranoid about discussing demographic-based things with people of that demographic, even on this forum. sexual orientation, gender identity, racial trends, even in demographics that i belong to...i dont really know whatll offend people here, and im always paranoid that i will offend people here, even when i finally say what i was thinking, and mutual lols are had.)

imo, if you find PC overkill and unneeded, and it only makes you paranoid someone will misinterpret what you say, you, personally, probably dont need it.

Posted

Fact: the church says god is white

Posted

Fact: the old testament says not to have any graven images of God.

Posted

I don't see the need to justify or dignify a propagandist right-wing term used to discredit any attempt to be inclusive and fairer in society.

Just saying, in the extremely rare yet always mentioned case (I seriously have my doubts it's actually a thing though) where a member of a minority actually abuses their minority status for personal gain isn't "political correctness", it's a symptom of the problem where our society has created an unequal status where discrimination still runs rampant and where the discriminated need the extra help to even get a fair chance in life. Again, "political correctness" is seriously just a term used to promote essentially an unequal society and to attack those who are in favour of reshaping society where everyone gets the same opportunities and experiences.

And I will seriously ignore any post that even brings up "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" or a variant of it as a Daily Mail-esque critique of "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD", those were buzzword stories that were horribly spun out of control in order for the tabloids to have a news report, thank you.

Posted

i just wanted to say, seeing

pclol.png

as cascades siggy under a couple posts about religion is just....i laughed.

Posted

lololol that is perfect :')

Posted

I fo sho thought you were talking about your computer lol.

PC is dumb sometimes, but I really wish people would just be more polite and not stupid or ignorant sounding with their words.

Posted

Just saying, in the extremely rare yet always mentioned case (I seriously have my doubts it's actually a thing though) where a member of a minority actually abuses their minority status for personal gain isn't "political correctness", it's a symptom of the problem where our society has created an unequal status where discrimination still runs rampant and where the discriminated need the extra help to even get a fair chance in life.

see: affirmative action

hate it but can't say I haven't used it to my advantage

Posted

I don't see the need to justify or dignify a propagandist right-wing term used to discredit any attempt to be inclusive and fairer in society.

Just saying, in the extremely rare yet always mentioned case (I seriously have my doubts it's actually a thing though) where a member of a minority actually abuses their minority status for personal gain isn't "political correctness", it's a symptom of the problem where our society has created an unequal status where discrimination still runs rampant and where the discriminated need the extra help to even get a fair chance in life. Again, "political correctness" is seriously just a term used to promote essentially an unequal society and to attack those who are in favour of reshaping society where everyone gets the same opportunities and experiences.

And I will seriously ignore any post that even brings up "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" or a variant of it as a Daily Mail-esque critique of "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD", those were buzzword stories that were horribly spun out of control in order for the tabloids to have a news report, thank you.

1.)I wouldn't say it's a right-wing term. Everything you disagree with is "Right Wing". Its literally sucked any kind of humor right out of society, because nobody can be funny without somebody getiing all pissy and offended.

2.)The most unequal thing you can do is to try to make things more equal. Also, people abuse minority status all the damn time. Gay/Lesbian couples make out in the hallway, because they will threaten to sue if staff breaks up the couple for a PDA. So, staff simply leaves them alone. However, straight couples don't dare do this because they will be broken up. (Also, a minority/female/lbgt/disability requirement was added to our school's scholarship system. Seriously?)

Posted

So only jokes that have the potential to offend groups of people can be any kind of funny. Wat. Get a better sense of humour, for one thing.

And loooool, I didn't say it was right-wing because I dislike "political correctness" and that everything I disagree with is OBVIOUSLY right-wing in nature. Uhh. No, it's because I have never ever seen any political ideology that pettily complains and whines about "PC" as much as people who tend to lean towards the right-wing side of the spectrum. :/

The most unequal thing you can do is to try to make things more equal.

This sentence doesn't even make sense. :/

Posted

I think my biggest flaw due to my race and gender is a constant eggshell walk. It's racist or sexist if I make a joke. Period. It seems like most other races (and all women) can get away with a lot more.

Posted

I don't know. I mean, qualifying for certain perks because of your minority status is a bit unfair, but at the same time, it's a way to recognise that there are legitimate issues you probably have to deal with on a daily basis that most other people don't. Example: there are some pretty good First Nations scholarships at my school, and I hear people complaining about that. But on the other hand, for various reasons not a lot of First Nations kids graduate, much less pursue post-secondary education, and if they do, money's a pretty big issue there. Scholarships give them more of a fighting chance.

On the other hand, I think some PCness does get out of hand. The whole point of using politically correct terms is to be able to openly discuss sensitive issues without offending the other party, and if it's gotten to the point of walking on eggshells for a lot of people, it kind of defeats the purpose. I know some people use the term "oriental" even though I know it's considered a bit offensive now, and they do it out of ignorance, not out of spite. Or, as a personal example, I discovered that some people are offended by the term "aboriginal".

Posted

From now on it's both impolite and politically incorrect to call me anything except "Gringo" or "Whitey". "White" "European American" and "Caucasian" will all be met with hostility and/or lawsuits.

Posted

Oh for god's sake.

PC, for all of its much mocked clumsily well-meaning euphemisms, is just an attempt to show good manners. It may be "PC" to decline to say nig nog or porridge wog or bogtrotter or sheeny or shirtlifter, it is also POLITE to decline to say those things. To try and make out that BEING POLITE is evil/unacceptable/a "conspiracy" by "lefties"/a bleeding liberty, gorblimey/etc. is monumentally self-important, self-pitying and idiotic squidding codswallop.

When people whine about PC what they are basically saying is "boo hoo, I'm not allowed to behave like a spoiled, vindictive little schoolgirl and say anything I want to whoever I want and get away with it, that's so unfair." Yet these are often the very same people who love to gloatingly tell other people that life isn't fair. The hypocrisy and utter lack of self-awareness unhinges the mind.

Every squidding right wing wank rag in this country feeds the populace a steady trickle of stories that are either exaggerated or purely and simply untrue - you can't get a job unless you're black/'Baa Baa Black Sheep' has been banned in nursery schools/Christmas has been officially renamed Winterval because the "Christ" bit might offend Muslims, blardy-blah. And people lap them up, they want to believe they are true, because it feeds their surburban pettiness, their seething impotent fury at the sheer OUTRAGE of HAVING TO TAKE THEIR WHEELIE BIN OUT, the whole curtain twitching prurience and 'it's alright for some' bitterness that makes Britain shit. Because it is *those* attitudes, not lefty handwringing, that make Britain such a depressing place to live, possibly the only country in the world whose collective response to the bleakness of life is to spitefully try and make it even bleaker, and to slate those who think otherwise, so that everyone is as miserable and downtrodden as everyone else.

Quote from another forum that I posted in talk because I just love the quote so much. I don't see why you guys get so utterly squidding up in arms about political correctness. Maybe because it's actually expected of you in law in some cases now to be "politically correct." I know how much you Americans love your political freedoms. Being required to be polite, and yes, that is really all political correctness is (though there are always extremists, people who take non-offensiveness to such a degree that it ends up becoming condescending and offensive anyway!) seems to have the opposite effect on you.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea why everyone in the USA seems to address black people as african-americans. It doesn't even make sense if you addressed a british guy as an african american. I don't see why black and white could even be construed as offensive but whatever I don't have to worry about that here because while we do have that same concept of political correctness, it is honestly just the squidding same as not being a dickhead. So if for some reason we need to distinguish between a white person and a black person no one gets offended when you just say that they're black or white or whatever.

Not attacking any of you personally, just the attitudes I see prevalent around the internet regarding this topic, sorry if this was aggressive lol.

I don't know, whatever. Maybe you guys would feel more comfortable if you thought of it as just being a decent person. No, political correctness as a concept is probably not a necessary thing. But does that squidding matter? Does it change the fact that not being racist, homophobic, sexist, transphobic is necessary? No. So yeah, thats basically how I think of it. Just think of it as being a good person.

Rika Code likes this

Posted

That's actually true. "Homophobia" is an irrational fear of homosexuals. Meaning, it's unwarranted and a disease. I think it's important to clearly make the distinction between homophobia and just a hatred for gay people. Not many people do.

It's also possible to be rational, have no hatred for homosexuals, and still dislike that aspect of their person.

I think people often think you have to be one or the other. Sick or filled with rage. And this simply isn't true.