Programming?

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone here do programming?

Posted

You don't go on irc much do you

Posted

lolol

T1G, Ganny, Nabe, and I do, with various experiences in different languages. As for me, I'm getting into DirectX and Windows programming, but I'm pretty handy at C++. And to a certain extent, GML. Which isn't much to be proud of.

Posted

You don't go on irc much do you

Haha, sorry, I just don't get much chance anymore :(

Posted

I'm trying to learn java.

Posted

I'm okay with C and Python and a bit of Ruby, and right now I'm getting into Haskell, which is a really neat language. Over the summer I'll probably be learning Java

there's this cool book Nabe told me bout that's basically a tutorial to seven different languages, so I'm slowly working my way through that. Exploring the different paradigms is a fun thing for me and you can never take it away

Posted

I can do Java (although its been over a year since i used it), C, C++, and I can do some stuff with MIPS assembly.

Posted

I'm okay with C and Python and a bit of Ruby, and right now I'm getting into Haskell, which is a really neat language. Over the summer I'll probably be learning Java

there's this cool book Nabe told me bout that's basically a tutorial to seven different languages, so I'm slowly working my way through that. Exploring the different paradigms is a fun thing for me and you can never take it away

What is the book called? And I want to learn Java, but where from?

Posted

i learned (and continue to learn) in a college where computer science is one of its best departments

Posted

oh gawd i took a class on java, i friggin hated it

Posted

java is a great starting language, and it is useful because you don't need to worry about memory management. At the same time, this might be a hindrance to those who want more control over how they use their memory. great for learning object oriented programming

also its what minecraft uses

Posted

I know C++ and Java, and I'm going to learn to work with OpenGL this summer.

Posted

Well, I started with C++, and personally thought it was much better than Java. Then the class switched to java.

Posted

its really just a matter of what you learned with before. Switching from one language to another can get pretty disorienting and frustrating, but once you get the syntax down it isnt a problem

Posted

What is the book called? And I want to learn Java, but where from?

Seven Languages in Seven Weeks: A Pragmatic Guide to Learning Programming Languages

Featuring; Ruby, Io, Scala, Prolog, Erlang, Clojure, and Haskell. It's pretty cool to read up on how and why they do things differently. Some of these are sort of lesser-known, which is part of the charm - it's a guide to languages from different paradigms, not to software development. I don't know how much experience you have, but it would be a good idea to already have the basics of a language or two under your belt. A good read. Take the kids out to the park one day and tell them about functional programming.