LGBTQIA

107 posts in this topic

Posted

Unrelated but:

guys this is one of the most "civil" and best serious discussions so far. no one jumping down each others' throats yay!

imo, gender thread. no one wants to go there again, so were all (gasp) actually playing nicely together. it really is nice to see, though.

Posted (edited)

Oh man this has turned into a pretty heated discussion, huh? and by "heated" I meant intelligent.

It's been a while since I posted this and some things have changed. I was getting a lot of pressure from the club to "chose a label" (seriously, we started out club with introductions like an AA meeting: "Hi I'm so-and-so and i'm a blahblahblal")  and it lead to a big argument on what the actual definition of bisexuality and pansexuality was. Over-all it kinda didn't sit right with me since it was hard to conform to any one label. My interests fluctuated depending on the person. So I pretty much just shed them all off. I mean, it's nice to know where a person stands as far as how open minded on the subject they are but narrowing it down to "I like this kind of person so i must be this" is pretty lame in my book. It just leads people to stereo-type you and closes doors to them really getting to know you.

I know this sounds hypocritical of my first post but it's just how I feel.

Edited by CaptinBenny (see edit history)

Posted

i think labels can be helpful. If something has a name, it becomes more "normal" and easier to relate to other people under said label.

But don't get me wrong, labels should be a tool but not an end all means. If we become restricted and confined by the labels, than we most deff have a problem.

Posted

It's a problem when just anyone can use your label.

Like the WBC calling themselves Christian.

Posted

or when mainstream Christians call themselves followers of Jesus' teachings.

Posted

Nobody pointed out Islamist extremists? :o

Posted

What the hell are the new IA on the ends of the LGBTQ thing

Posted

intersex, asexual

Posted

Oh so now we are just gonna let anyone join the club, eh? Everyone except heterosexuals.

[joke]

Posted

What the hell is intersex

Posted

Posted

I swear to god, I ask these questions because I'm trying to stimulate conversation. I'm well aware that I can look this up on google. I could look up every argument I ever wanted to for and against LGBTQIA rights on google. I'm not looking for wikipedia's statement on intersex, I'm looking for yours, or whoever else I'm puppying asking when I say "hey whats this" over the internet. If we were sitting here talking in person about this and I asked you what intersex was and you told me to google it I'd get pissed.

Posted (edited)

You sound mad.

Ok seriously though, from what I know, the biggest comparison I can make is that Intersex people are often really complicated versions of transgender people. They have the issue that doctors can easily gender them incorrectly at birth, and then they end up being a dude who suddenly gets breasts and hips when he hits puberty because he was XX the whole time or something. On the other hand they also have a much easier time getting treatment if this does happen to them since they have a visible birth defect or whatever you want to call it, rather than just their brain being different.

And sometimes, the doctors /do/ get their genders right and they live a normal life but have genitalia that looks a little like the opposite gender's.

Edited by emsomniac (see edit history)

Posted

Yes I'm mad. It's not the first time I've been told to just puppy off and google something when I ask a question instead of just giving me an answer. I cannot contemplate why it's so difficult to understand that I'm specifically asking for your answer, not whatever the universal definition is. puppy. Conversation is a lot harder when the other parties don't want to put the effort into it.

EDIT: Anyways yes thank you for the lovely answer, I didn't realize this was a group or something.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Guys I think I'm an Other Kin.