Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

social sites and work/school

11 posts in this topic

Posted

If it's a public school, that student can sue. And he'll probably win. This is almost as bad as the food police in that one North Carolina school.

Posted

This is stupid. That school is squidding stupid. I donno how else to describe it.

Posted

Yeah, I mean, the school has absolutely no right to do that. It just doesn't make any sense, no matter how you look at it. I mean, put yourself in the school's "shoes." Okay, say a kid tweeted squid during school hours. That's bad, I guess? Let's give him detention. But expulsion? Really? If you expel students for cussing you're going to have to expel pretty much everyone.

Posted

the tweet was sent at one am, or something along those lines, not during school hours, or at least thats what the kid and his family are saying.

still, i would think suspension would be the more logical reaction, if anything.

Posted

Yeah I know, I was just saying, let's give the school the benefit of the doubt. Say the kid is lying and he really did tweet it on the school's computers. Does it deserve expulsion? No, I don't think so. So regardless of how/when the student tweeted, the school overreacted.

Posted

So the kid said a bad word a couple of times. Online. To no one in particular. At 2:30 in the morning. I'm pretty sure that that does NOT constitute expulsion.

Posted

someone needs to bring in techies before they bicker in court.

and yeah, no debate about the overreaction here :/

Posted

Yeah I know, I was just saying, let's give the school the benefit of the doubt. Say the kid is lying and he really did tweet it on the school's computers. Does it deserve expulsion? No, I don't think so. So regardless of how/when the student tweeted, the school overreacted.

Tweets have timestamps, and the tweet the student sent was at a time when it would be impossible for him to send the tweet from the school.

Posted

I know this, lol. I was playing devil's advocate. I'm 100% on the side of the student in this situation. I was just trying to say that, even from the school's perspective, the school messed up.

Posted

"The school appears to be no longer speaking publicly, on the advice of it's attorney." That means the school already knows they're in deep shit for such a stupid move, and we all know they're going to let him back in with a free ride to graduation. But I keep looking at this and thinking "What's their motive, here? Are they really this stupid that they expel a kid for a reason like that one? Are they trying to get attention for some reason? It can't be that they're this stupid."