Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you take a life?

53 posts in this topic

Posted

As most of you know I work for a private security company called Securitas. My day job is a Security Guard in a Hartford area Bank of America branch. When I tell this to most people they ask:

"Do you have a gun?"

The answer is yes I carry a Glock 22, it's basically the kind of gun cops use. I also (against company policy mind you) keep a Shotgun in the trunk of my car (I wanba be prepared in case of a North Hollywood Shootout type of situation).

It's company policy to let robbers have the money and not to engage unless they threaten the customers that's when I have to take action. Someone asked if I had it in me to kill someone. I used to say "yeah sure why not", but now I'm not so sure.

I mean shooting at a paper target is one thing, but a living breathing person is something else entirely.

Posted

I dunno, probably if they asked me nicely. Why are you suddenly unsure if you'd take a life or not?

Posted

I don't think I have it in me to take a life. Killing just goes against my moral code.

That moral code however says NOTHING about shooting someone in a nonlethal way.

Posted

Sounds like someones watched Trigun!

Posted

That moral code however says NOTHING about shooting someone in a nonlethal way.

Okay, this is a big pet peeve of mine. There is absolutely no such thing as shooting somebody in a nonlethal way. You do not fire a gun unless you are prepared to kill somebody with it.

Posted

Unless you're Vash the Stampede!

Posted

Or unless you shoot below the waist. Then it's not considered shooting to kill, or whatever.

Posted

Okay, this is a big pet peeve of mine. There is absolutely no such thing as shooting somebody in a nonlethal way. You do not fire a gun unless you are prepared to kill somebody with it.

This.

Not to mention, in a self defense situation, first thing that goes is fine motor skills, you will do what you are trained to do, in the case of firearms, that is either hit center of mass or miss horribly.

That being said, yes, I would, no question. (Glock 23, or sig 224 for me, depends on the day)

Posted

If at all possible, I would refrain from taking a life. I don't believe killing for revenge is ever right, and you only have a small window of opportunity when it can be considered self-defense. Mainly, if the person you're shooting isn't an immediate, life-endangering threat, you shouldn't be shooting.

That said, "in the moment" situations are almost always dicey and you don't have a lot of time to think things through. Not to mention emotion, lack of sleep, and other factors that may play a role in whether you pull the trigger.

If it came down to it, though, yes. I believe I could take a life.

Posted

I'm just saying is that if faced with a life or death situation, and I have a gun in my hand, I would rather shoot them in the leg than in the face. Sure, they could still bleed to death if they didn't get medical attention, but that was what I meant by "nonlethal".

Like, remember in Terminator 2 when John Connors told his terminator not to kill people, and so he starts shooting people in the legs instead? THAT IS WHAT I MEANT

Posted

Affirmative.

Posted

I'm just saying is that if faced with a life or death situation, and I have a gun in my hand, I would rather shoot them in the leg than in the face. Sure, they could still bleed to death if they didn't get medical attention, but that was what I meant by "nonlethal".

Like, remember in Terminator 2 when John Connors told his terminator not to kill people, and so he starts shooting people in the legs instead? THAT IS WHAT I MEANT

How much training do you have?

A leg is a very narrow target, let's say about seven inches across, that is moving. And if you hit about three of those inches, they are dead in about three minutes.

There is a reason professional law enforcement trains to hit center of mass, I.E. chest and abdomen. It's a much larger target. Throw in that amped up attackers have been known to take 9-10+ shots and keep coming, shooting in the leg is not reliable and incredibly hard.

Posted

And if you hit about three of those inches, they are dead in about three minutes.

i imagine plugging three inches worth of body with bullets would be lethal

Posted

Put one bullet into the abdomen, you have time to get to a hospital fairly easily, put one in the chest, not quite so long, but you have a shot.

Put a bullet into the femoral artery, you're done just as much as putting one in the heart or slitting a throat. The idea of killing instantly and without pain only happens if you destroy the CNS.

Guess which shot you are more likely to make? Keep in mind, if you miss, there are likely innocents behind where you are shooting.

Posted

So whats all this about kneecaps? "You could just shoot him in the kneecap" and whatnot.