The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah I was watching the Avengers and was like "Why isn't spiderman in on this, he's Marvel right?"

I was also like "Why the squid does manhattan keep putting up with all this bullshit"

Posted

Spider-Man isn't in the cinema universe because Sony owns his movie rights, while Marvel Studios owns the cinema universe/avengers series.

Posted

But they are both in New York City. Just because they are from different companies doesn't mean that New York City didn't get all royally squided up in one day.

Posted

Listen up True Believers, I'd like to take a moment to emphasise Wildfire prevention. With all the recent wildfires in the South West I think it's only safe to mention these fire making tips.

1. Make sure you build your fire on level ground.

2. Build fire at least 4 yards from tall grass or dry leaves

3. Circle rocks around the base to better radiate heat.

4. Always keep a bucket of water or sand handy to quickly extinguish the flames.

5. Make sure all embers are extinguished before you leave.

6. If you smoke cigarettes (which you shouldn't, it's a disgusting and deadly habit) carefully extinguish the buds*

By following these simple steps you can prevent a wildfire. We don't need to be exposed to Cosmic Rays to safely control fire.

*I saw firsthand what a smoldering cigarette butt and dry woodchips can do. I was at the local laundromat doing a load of clothes when a careless soul dropped a cigarette. Luckily I noticed the burning woodchips and stomped them out before it grew out of control.

Posted

I'm a superhero. Apparently only I can prevent wildfires. Its a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Posted

I saw the Amazing Spider-Man trailer with Battleship today. July 3rd cannot get here fast enough.

Posted

I still don't even get what that movie was supposed to be about. I haven't seen it yet. What's the relation to the board game?

Posted

Apparently it'll take place with scenes where you see it from the aliens perspective as well, and it's kind of the strategicness found in the board game.

It probably sucks, but I admit when I saw the trailer I was excited as squid because it looked like a Naval Warfare movie and then they had to put aliens in there :<

Posted

But they are both in New York City. Just because they are from different companies doesn't mean that New York City didn't get all royally squided up in one day.

That wasn't my point at all. I was just answering to Pheo's comment as to why Spider-Man wasn't/won't be in the Avengers series.

Posted

I'm still wondering how the hell they are gonna clean up the city. There was like 5 leviathans in that battle, and I'm pretty sure I saw at least one of their bodies on top of a building.

On an unrelated note, I love how Nick Fury doesn't take no shit from the government.

Posted

The movie begins in 2006 while we are introduced to the main character Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch) and his older Navy Lieutenant brother Stone (Alexander Skarsgåd) we also learn that NASA has identified an Exo-Planet in the Goldilocks zone in a far off solar system they beam a signal into space in order to draw the attention of any intelligent life living on "Planet G". After Hopper is arrested afterv trying to impress a cute girl named Samantha Shane (Brooklyn Decker) who also happens to be Daughter of Fleet Admiral Shane (Liam Neeson) Stone throws down the gauntlet, and demands Alex change his life, by joining him in the Navy.

Six years later during RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific) 2012 Naval Exercises. The signal is detected and out of deep space come five vessels (one of which collides with a satellite and breaks apart). As the ships smash into the Water off the coast of Oahu the fifth breaks apart with debris smashing into Hong Kong and Scotland. Alex, now a Lieutenant on the USS John Paul Jones takes two crew members to the crash site in a Zodiac and as he touches the craft it zaps him and creates an energy dome over the Hawaiian Islands. Only the John Paul Jones and two other Navy destroyers (one of which is Chinese) are inside the dome and the rest of the RIMPAC fleet are outside.

After the other ships are lost, the ragtag crew of the JPJ (including survivors of the Chinese ship must come together to fight the aliens and save the world.

The classic Battleship Grid system is included in the movie in a rather ingenuous way. The Chinese Captain Yugi Nagata (Tadanobu Asano) shows them how the Chinese fleet has won RIMPAC all these years. They access the NOAA Database and look at water displacement caused by ships via the NOAA Bouys in a grid. They use this to target the alien ships. After the JPJ is destroyed they use the USS Missouri (a World War II Battleship which is now a museum) to take out the Ship creating the Energy Dome.

Like I said, it's good but not great. It was full of explosions, good VFX, and not much else. A typical summer "Popcorn" movie.

Posted

I do like explosions.

Posted

I just try to imagine giant plastic pegs falling out of the sky. The white ones create impassible walls, while the red ones always hit their targets, puncturing the ship. And then when the humans are almost defeated, two giant hands just fling the whole scene at the wall and say "I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE!"

Arachne likes this

Posted

Back to Marvel any time? lol

I've been reading Planet Hulk and so far its pretty great. The art isn't spectacular, but the story makes up for that.

Basically, the Illuminati trick Bruce Banner into going into a space ship. Then they are like "Sorry dude, we tricked you. We are sending you to a primal planet where you can just hunt all the animals you want. Bye~" but the ship squided up and sent him to a gladiator-like planet where he must fight for his freedom. Guest starring the Silver Surfer!