The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh, I definitely meant that as a response to the Avengers disk wars thing, or whatever. My bad.

Posted

yeah no, i understood it. like I siad, DISK wars isnt great. But its good for what it is. If you are looking for substance and deep plot, it probably wont provide. But for a fun, almost nostalgic time, its there!

PS- I love Tokusatsu. Like the costumes and props and general ideas of it. But i find them hard to "get into." They should make a serious one. Haha i feel like ive just contradicted what i said above.

Posted (edited)

There are serious ones. But then, that depends on your definition of Serious

The current series of Kamen Rider is Kamen rider Gaim, and despite its exterior, the gimmick/theme is sengoku style samurai in fruit inspired costumes, its one of the most serious and well written Rider shows in recent years

Then there is stuff like Garo. Garo is Tokusatsu, so you got guys in suits fighting monsters. It also has sex and violence. More of a horror series than a super hero one like rider or Sentai. I think you'd like Kamen rider Kabuto. It has a good mix between the ridiculous and the serious, and, at least until Gaim finishes, its my favorite.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I watched Kamen Rider W in its entirety and loved it. OOO failed to interest me though. Ill look into your suggestions though! Yay

Posted

Good news folks Marvel's agents of shield has been renewed for a second season.

Posted

I'd heard the show got a lot better

Posted

What are your thoughts on Gotham?

Posted

Y'know I thought it was sort of a dumb idea originally. Like, y'know how in Smallville, Clark fought all of his villains and resolved all of his stories when he was a kid? I thought it would have that problem. But, honestly, the trailer got me a little hype. At the very least, they have good editors.

Posted

Then we are probably thinking the same thing. They changed Pamela Isley's name to Ivy Pepper, though?? And I'll be pissed if they show Bane at all during this show. He's in prison.

If the show is an endless cocktease or is constantly having pointless Easter eggs of villains, then I probably won't watch it. I don't have plans to watch it really, but I may if it turns out to be good. I like the non-supervillain stories. I like the mobster ones.

Posted

Yeah, me too. the story of Gordan trying to work his way through the corrupt police system is a pretty good one. I'm just sort of worried its gonna run out of things to do. But hey, whatevs, its an alternate universe, right? They can do whatever they want. As long as its well written and compelling.

Posted

The first 90 or so issues of Chris Claremonts momentous run on the X Men, Uncanny X Men is now available in two omnibi. And whats more surprising is they don't cost 300 dollars! Not sure if I've ever mentioned it here, but MArvel really can't into trades, this deal being the obvious caveat. Generally they stay in print for about a year or 2, and then they're impossible to find. And then theres prices which are roughly 30% higher than everyone elses. But both of these are about 65$ which isn't exactly cheap, but for almost 40 issues a piece, its pretty damn good.

Where most properties in the marvel canon owe, almost all of their mythos to the 60s, where Lee and Kirby were tearing it up, X Men really didn't do all that well. Eventually after Lee/Kirby stoped working on it a writer named Roy Thomas stepped in, and started making what are considered to be much better stories, and then his good writing was accompanied by Neal Adams great art. Wasn't enough to keep the book alive though.

That creative period in the 60s was delayed with the X Men until about 1975, when Giant Sized X Men came out, boasting a new team, and a new era. Most things that you see in adaptations, most concepts used today come from Chris Claremonts run, rather than the previous Vol. So, if you're at all interested in the X Men, and feel like reading more into it, grab em up before they inevitably go out of print and their price shoots up 300%

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Sounds rad! I'll deff look into those!!

Posted

Wolverine and the X-Men #5

tumblr_n7drbdwT4g1qft31ko1_1280.jpg

hella

Posted

Is his name... Gloop?

Posted

Doop